- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
THE DIMENSION REDUCTION ALGORITHM FOR THE POSITIVE REALIZATION OF DISCRETE PHASE-TYPE DISTRIBUTIONS
- Kim, Kyung-Sup (DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER ENGINEERING, CHUNGNAM NATIONAL UNIVERSITY)
- Received : 2011.12.06
- Accepted : 2012.01.25
- Published : 2012.03.25
This paper provides an efficient dimension reduction algorithm of the positive realization of discrete phase type(DPH) distributions. The relationship between the representation of DPH distributions and the positive realization of the positive system is explained. The dimension of the positive realization of a discrete phase-type realization may be larger than its McMillan degree of probability generating functions. The positive realization with sufficient large dimension bound can be obtained easily but generally, the minimal positive realization problem is not solved yet. We propose an efficient dimension reduction algorithm to make the positive realization with tighter upper bound from a given probability generating functions in terms of convex cone problem and linear programming.
Supported by : Chungnam National University
- M. F. Neuts, Matrix-Geometric Solutions in Stochastic Models: An Algorithmic Approach. Dover Publications, Inc, 1994.
- A. Bobbio, A. Horvath, M. Scarpa, and M. Telek, "Acyclic discrete phase type distributions: properties and a parameter estimation algorithm," Performance Evaluation, vol. 54, pp. 1-32, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0166-5316(03)00044-0
- C. Commault and S. Mocanu, "Phase-type distributions and representations: Some results and open problems for system theory," International Journal of Control, vol. 76, no. 6, pp. 566-580, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1080/0020717031000114986
- M. Fackrell, "Fitting with matrix-exponential distributions," Stochastic Models, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 377-400, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1081/STM-200056227
- K. Kim and N. Thomas, "A fitting method with generalized erlang distributions," Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 1507-1517, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.simpat.2011.03.003
- C. OCinneide, "Characterization of phase-type distributions," Stochastic Models, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 1-57, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1080/15326349908807134
- L. Benvenuti and L. Farina, "An example of how positivity may force realizations of 'large' dimension," Systems & Control Letters, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 261-266, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6911(98)00098-X
- C. Hadjicostis, "Bounds on the size of minimal nonnegative realizations for discrete-time lti systems," Systems & Control Letters, vol. 37, pp. 39-43, 1999.
- L. Benvenuti, L. Farina, B. Anderson, and F. De Bruyne, "Minimal positive realizations of transfer functions with positive real poles," Circuits and Systems I: Fundamental Theory and Applications, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 1370-1377, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/81.883332
- B. Nagy and M. Matolcsi, "A lowerbound on the dimension of positive realizations," Circuits and Systems I: Fundamental Theory and Applications, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 782-784, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2003.812609
- W. Czaja, P. Jamingc, and M. Matolcsi, "An efficient algorithm for positive realizations," Systems & Control Letters, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 436-441, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sysconle.2007.11.001
- B. Anderson, M. Deistler, L. Farina, and L. Benvenuti, "Nonnegative realization of a linear system with nonnegative impulse response," Circuits and Systems I: Fundamental Theory and Applications, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 134-142, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/81.486435
- L. Farina, "On the existence of a positive realization," Systems & Control Letters, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 219-226, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6911(96)00033-3
- J. Dattorro, Convex Optimization & Euclidean Distance Geometry. Meboo Publishing, 2010.
- J. van den Hof and J. van Schuppen, "Realization of positive linear systems using polyhedral cones," ser. Proc. 33rd IEEE Conf. on Decision and Control, 1994, pp. 3889-3893.
- D. G. Luenberger and Y. Ye, Linear and Nonlinear Programming. Springer, 2008.
- L. Farina and S. Rinaldi, Positive Linear Systems: Theory and Applications. Wiley, 2000.
- B. Nagy and M. Matolcsi, "Minimal positive realizations of transfer functions with nonnegative multiple poles," Automatic Control, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 50, no. 9, pp. 1447-1450, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.2005.854656
- L. Benvenuti, L. Farina, and B. Anderson, "Filtering through combination of positive filters," Circuits and Systems I: Fundamental Theory and Applications, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 46, no. 12, pp. 1431-1440, Dec. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/81.809545