- Volume 54 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of a Dietary Fermented Mushroom (Flammulina velutipes) By-Product Diet on Pork Meat Quality in Growing-Fattening Berkshire Pigs
- Chu, Gyo-Moon (Swine Science & Technology Center, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kang, Suk-Nam (Swine Science & Technology Center, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Yang, Jeong-Mo (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Hoi-Yun (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Song, Young-Min (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2012.02.10
- Accepted : 2012.06.09
- Published : 2012.06.30
This study was carried out to investigate the effects of fermented mushroom (Flammulina velutipes) by-products on meat quality characteristics in fattening Berkshire pigs. The fermented diet mainly contained 40.0% mushroom by-products, 26.0% rice bran, and 20.0% formula feed and was fermented for 5 d. The basal diet for the control (C) was substituted with 10% (T1), 30% (T2), 50% (T3), and 70% (T4) fermented diet. Warner-Bratzler shear forces (WBSF) were significantly lower (P < 0.05) in treatments than that in C. The meat color (lightness, redness, and yellowness) was significantly lower (P < 0.05) in treatments than that in C, whereas fat color (redness and yellowness) was significantly higher in treatments than that in C (P < 0.05). The compositions of palmitoleic acid and arachidonic acid were significantly higher (P < 0.05) in T4 than that in C. The amino acid composition of longissimus dorsi (LD) and the sensory evaluation of cooked meat were not affected by diet type. In conclusion, a diet of fermented mushroom by-products increased pH and backfat color, but decreased cooking loss, WBSF, and meat color of LD in growing-fattening Berkshire pigs.
Berkshire pigs;Fermented diet;Meat quality;Mushroom by-products
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF), Rural Development Administration (RDA)
- Bae, J. S., Kim, Y. I., Jung, S. H., Oh, Y. G. and Kwak, W. S. 2006. Evaluation on feed-nutritional value of spent mushroom (Pleurotus osteratus, Pleurotus eryngii, Flammulina velutupes) substrates as a roughage source for ruminants. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 48:237-246. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2006.48.2.237
- Chu, G. M., Yang, J. M., Kim, H. Y., Kim, C. H. and Song, Y. M. 2012. Effects of fermented mushroom (Flammulina velutipes) by-product diets on growth performance and carcass traits in growing-fattening Berkshire pigs. Anim. Sci. J. 83: 55-62. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2011.00924.x
- Duncan, D. B. 1955. Multiple range and multiple F tests. Biomet. 11: 1. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- French, P., Stanton, C., Lawless, F., O'Riordan, E. G., Monahan, F. J., Caffrey, P. J. and Moloney, A. P. 2000. Fatty acid composition, including conjugated linoleic acid of intramuscular fat from steers offered grazed grass, grass silage, or concentrate-based diets. J. Anim. Sci. 78:2849-2855. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.78112849x
- Gallway, W. J., Tarrant, P. V. and McMahon, P. 1977. Pig-meat quality and yield in relation to pre-slaughter sugar-feeding. Irish J. Food Sci. Technol. 1:71-77.
- Gao, L., Yang, H., Wang, X., Huang, Z., Ishii, M., Igarashi, Y. and Cui, Z. 2008. Rice straw fermentation using lactic acid bacteria. Biores. Technol. 99:2742-2748. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2007.07.001
- Hamm, R. 1960. Biochemistry of meat hydration. Adv. Food Res. 10:355.
- Honikel, K. O. 1998, Reference methods for the assessment of physical characteristics of meat. Meat Sci. 49:447-457. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00034-5
- Hsia, L. C. and Lu, G. H. 2004. The effect of high environmental temperature and nutrient density on pig performance, conformation and carcass characteristics under restricted feeding system. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:250-258. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.250
- Jonsall, A., Johansson, L. and Lundstron, K. 2000. Effects of red clover silage and RN genotype on sensory quality of prolonged frozen stored pork (M. Longissimus doris). Food Quality Prefer. 11:371-376. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-3293(00)00010-0
- Kang, S. N., Song, Y. M., Kim, C. W., Kim, T. W., Chu, G. M., Yang, B. S., Jin, S. K. and Kim, I. S. 2010. Effect of feeding high carbohydrate-low fat fermented feed on the meat quality characteristics in finishing pigs. Kor. J. Food Sci. Anim. Res. 30:826-832. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2010.30.5.826
- Kim, H. Y., Song, Y. M., Jin, S. K., Kim, I. S., Kang, Y. S., Lee, S. D., Chowdappa, R., Ha, J. H. and Kang, S. M. 2006. The effect of change in meat quality parameters on pig longissimus doris muscle by the addition of fermented persimmon shell diet. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:286-291.
- Kim, Y. I., Bae, J. S., Jung, S. H., Ahn, M. H. and Kwak, S. K. 2007. Yield and physicochemical characteristics of spent mushroom (Pleurotus ryngii, Pleurotus osteratus and Ammulina velutipes) substrates according to mushroom species and cultivation types. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 49:79-88. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2007.49.1.079
- Kwak, W. S., Jung, S. H. and Kim, Y. I. 2008. Broiler litter supplementation improves storage and feed-nutritional value of sawdust-based spent mushroom substrates. Biores. Technol. 99: 2947-2955. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2007.06.021
- Kwak, W. S., Kim, Y. I., Seok, J. S., Oh, Y. K. and Lee, S. M. 2009. Molasses and microbial inoculants improve fermentability and silage quality of cotton waste-based spent mushroom substrate. Biores. Technol. 100:1471-1473. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2008.07.066
- Lee, S. D., Kim, H. Y., Jung, H. J., Ji, S. Y., Chowdappa, R., Ha, J. H., Song, Y. M., Park, Y. M., Park, J. C., Moon, H. K. and Kim, I. C. 2009. The effect of fermented apple diet supplementation on the growth performance and meat quality in finishing pigs. Anim. Sci. J. 80:79-84. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2008.00598.x
- Lindahl, G., Enfalt, A. C., Andersen, H. J. and Lundstrom, K. 2006. Impact of RN genotype and storage time on colour characteristics of the pork muscles longissimus doris and semimembranosus. Meat Sci. 74:746-755. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.06.006
- Meilgaard, M., Civille, G. V. and Carr, B. T. 1991. Affective tests: Consumer tests and in-house panel acceptance tests. In: Sensory evaluation techniques. 3rd ed., CRC Press Inc, Boca Ranton, FL, pp. 211-222.
- Nuernberg, K., Fischer, K., Nuernberg, G., Kuechenmeister, U., Klosowska, D., Eliminowska-Wenda, G., Fiedler, I. and Ender, K. 2005. Effects of dietary olive and linseed oil on lipid composition, meat quality, sensory characteristics and muscle structure in pigs. Meat Sci. 70:63-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2004.12.001
- Rosenvold, K., Esse n-Gustavsson, B. and Andersen, H. J. 2003. Dietary manipulation of pro- and macroglycogen in porcine skeletal muscle. J. Anim. Sci. 81:130-134. https://doi.org/10.2527/2003.811130x
- Song, Y. M., Lee, S. D., Chowdappa, R., Kim, H. Y., Jin, S. K. and Kim, I. S. 2007. Effects of fermented oyster mushroom (Pleurotus ostreats) by-product supplementation on growth performance, blood parameters and meat quality in finishing Berkshire pigs. Anim. 1:301-307. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731107683785
- Stanton, C., Lawless, F., Kjellmer, G., Harrington, D., Devery, R., Connolly, J. F. and Murphy, J. 1997. Dietary influences on bovine milk cis-9, tran-11-conjugated linoleic acid content. J. Food Sci. 62:1083-1086. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1997.tb15043.x
- SAS. 1999. User's Guide: Statistics Version 8 ed. SAS Institute, Cary, NC.
- Tikk, K., Tikk, M., Karlsson, A. H. and Andersen, H. J. 2006.The effect of a muscle-glycogen-reducing finishing diet on porcine meat and fat colour. Meat Sci. 73:378-385. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2005.12.015
- Way, P. and Hanahan, D. J. 1964. Characterization and quantification of red cell lipids. J. Lipid Res. 5:318-328.
- Williams, B. C., McMullan, J. T. and McCahey, S. 2001. An initial assessment of spent mushroom compost as a potential energy feedstock. Biores. Technol. 79:227-230. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(01)00073-6
- Wyszcecki, G. and Stiles, W. S. 1982. Color science. Concepts and method, quantitative data and formula. New York, John Wiley.