- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Ecological Health Screening Assessment of Agricultural area using Biomarkers and Bioindicators in Misgurnus Anguillicaudatus (case study)
미꾸리의 생물지표를 이용한 농업지역의 수생태계 건강성 스크리닝 평가(사례연구)
- Kim, Ja-Hyun (Environmental Toxicology Research Center, Korea Institute of Toxicology) ;
- Han, Sun-Young (Environmental Toxicology Research Center, Korea Institute of Toxicology) ;
- Yeom, Dong-Hyuk (Environmental Toxicology Research Center, Korea Institute of Toxicology)
- Received : 2011.12.22
- Accepted : 2012.02.16
- Published : 2012.03.31
This study evaluated the screening level assessment of ecological health using four biomarkers and four bioindicators of Misgurnus anguillicaudatus as a indicator species in agricultural area of South Korea during May-June 2011. The endocrine disrupting chemical (EDC) indicators, such as vitellogenin (VTG) and gonado-somatic index (GSI), were not significantly changed in the agricultural site (p>0.05), indicating no effects. The biomarkers and bioindicators were compared between two sites of reference site (RS) and the agricultural site (AS) for screening assessment of ecological health. The ethoxyresorufin-O-deethylase (EROD) activity, acetylcholinesterase (AChE) activity, and DNA damage were significantly changed in the AS compared with the RS (p<0.05). But the individual level bioindicators such as condition factor (CF), hepato-somatic index (HSI), and gonado-somatic index (GSI) were not significantly different from reference site (RS). These results may indicate impairments of ecological health by toxic chemicals and environmental conditions. Current this study is based on screening assessment of biochemical and individual level biomarkers and bioindicators, so further study is required additional biomarkers and population or community level bioindicators for more specific health assessments in agricultural areas.
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Adams, S.M., and R.B. McLean (1985) Estimation of largemouth bass, Micropterus salmoides Lacepede, growth using the liver somatic index and physiological variables. J. Fish. Biol. 26:111-126. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.1985.tb04248.x
- Adams, S.M., M.S. Bevelhimer, M.S. Greeley, D.A. Levine, and S.J. Teh (1999) Ecological risk assessment in a large river-reservoir: 6. bioindicators of fish population health. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 18:628-640.
- Albanis, T.A., D.G. Hela, T.M. Sakellarides, and I.K. Konstantinou (1998) Monitoring of pesticide residues and their metabolites in surface and underground waters of Imathia (N. Greece) by solid phase extraction disks and gas chromatography. J. Chromatogr. A 824:59-71.
- Armin, S., T.S. Radau, T. Hahn, and R. Schulz (2007) Inhibition of rainbow trout acetylcholinesterase by aqueous and suspended particle associated organophosphorous insecticides. Chemosphere 68:605-612. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2007.02.056
- Colborn, T., F.S. von Saal, and A.N. Soto (1993) Developmental effects of endocrine-disrupting chemicals in wildlife and humans. Environ. Health Perspect. 101:378-384. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.93101378
- Crews, D., E. Willingham, and J.K. Skipper (2000) Endocrine disrupters: present issues future direction. Quaterly Review of Biology 75:243-260. https://doi.org/10.1086/393498
- Denslow, N.D., M.C. Chow, K.J. Kroll, and L. Green (1999) Vitellogenin as a biomarker of exposure for estrogen or estrogen mimics. Ecotoxicology 8:385-398. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008986522208
- Dickerson, R.L., M.J. Hooper, and N.W. Gard (1994) Toxicological foundations of ecological risk assessment: Biomarker development and interpretation based on laboratory and wildlife species. Environ. Health Perspect. 102:65-69. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.94102s765
- Ellman, G.L., K.D. Courtney, V. Andres, Jr., and R.M. Featherstone (1961) A new and rapid colorimetric determination of acetylcholinesterase activity. Biochemical Pharmacology 7:88-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-2952(61)90145-9
- Ham, K.D., S.M. Adams, M.J. Peterson (1997) Application of multiple bioindicators to differentiate spatial and temporal variability from the effects of contaminant exposure on fish. Ecotoxicology and Environmental safety 37:53-61. https://doi.org/10.1006/eesa.1997.1522
- Hinck, J.E., V.S. Blazer, N.D. Denslow, K.R. Echols, T.S. Gross, T.W. May, P.J. Anderson, J.J. Coyle, and D.E. Tillitt (2007) Chemical contaminants, health indicators, and reproductive biomarker responses in fish from the Colorado River and its tributaries. Science of the Total Environment 378:376-402. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2007.02.032
- Jobling, S., M. Nolan, C.R. Tyler, G. Brighty, and J.P. Sumpter (1998) Widespread sexual disruption in wild fish. Environ. Sci. Technol. 32:2498-2506. https://doi.org/10.1021/es9710870
- Jung, J.H. R.F. Addison, and W.J. Shim (2007) Characterization of cholinesterases in marbled sole, Limanda yokohamae, and their inhibition in vitro by the fungicide iprobenfos. Marine Environmental Research 63:471-478. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marenvres.2006.12.007
- Kennedy, S.W., and S.P. Jones (1994) Simultaneous measurement of cytochrome P4501A catalytic activity and total concentration with a fluorescence plate reader. Anal. Biochem. 222:217-223. https://doi.org/10.1006/abio.1994.1476
- Kim, G.B., R.F. Lee, and D.L. Mitchell (2000) Damage to grass shrimp (Palaemonetes pugio) embryo DNA by summer sunlight followed by DNA repair in the dark. Marine Biology 137: 675-682. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002270000371
- Kim, J.H., and D.H. Yeom (2009) Population response of Pale Chub (Zacco platypus) exposed to wastewater effluents in Gap Stream. Toxicology and Environmental Health Sciences 1:169-175. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03216481
- Kim, J.H., D.H. Yeom, J.H. Kim and K.G. An (2012) New ecological health assessment approaches of an urban stream using molecular and physiological level biomarkers and bioindicators. Animal cells and systems DOI:10.1080/19768354.2011.653830.
- Lee, R.F., and G.B. Kim (2002) Comet assays to assess DNA damage and repair in grass shrimp embryos exposed to phototoxicants. Marine Environmental Research 54:465-469. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-1136(02)00128-9
- OECD (2009) OECD guideline for the testing of chemicals: "21-day fish assay: a short-term screening for oestrogenic and androgenic activity, and aromatase inhibition.
- Rankin, E.T., R. Miltner, C. Yoder, and D. Mishne (1999) Association between nutrients, habitat, and the aquatic biota in Ohio rivers and streams, Ohio EPA Technical bulletin MAS/1999-1, Ohio EPA, Columbus, USA.
- Richard, F.L., and S. Steinert (2003) Use of the single cell gel electrophoresis/ comet assay for detecting DNA damage in aquatic (marine and freshwater) animals. Mutation Research 544:43-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1383-5742(03)00017-6
- Singh, N.P., M.T. McCoy, R.R. Tice, and E.L. Schneider (1988) A simple technique for quantification of low levels of DNA damage in individual cells. Exp. Cell Res. 175:184 -191. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-4827(88)90265-0
- USGS (2000) Biomonitoring of Environmental Status and Trends (BEST) Program: selected methods for monitoring chemical contaminants and their effects in aquatic ecosystems. USGS/BRD/ITR-2000-0005.
- Yeom, D.H., S.A. Lee, G.S. Kang, J. Seo, and S.K. Lee (2007) Stressor identification and health assessment of fish exposed to wastewater effluents in Miho Stream, South Korea. Chemosphere 67:2282-2292. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2006.09.071
- 김상수, 이필용 (2001) 내분비계장애물질의 관리대책. 농업생명과학회지 8:13-21.
- 농촌진흥청 (2010) 농촌진흥청 고시 제2010-29호 농약의 등록기준 (2010. 10. 13.)
- 박인석, 김봉석, 임재현, 박효민, 남윤권, 정창화, 김동수 (1997) 미꾸리, Misgurnus anguillicaudatus의 생존율 향상을 위한 역교배체 생산. 한국양식학회지 10:363-371.
- 서용찬, 전은영, 김기동 (2005) 송천과 강릉 남대천수계의 내분비계 장애물질 조사 연구. 한국환경분석학회지 8:91-94.
- 안광국, 정승현, 최신석 (2001) 생물보전지수 (Index of Biological Integrity) 및 서식지평가지수 (Qualitative Habitat Evaluation Index)를 이용한 평창강의 수환경평가. 한국하천호수학회지 34:153-165.
- 이병천, 김수진, 윤준헌, 김은주, N.C. Duong, 엄익춘, F. Shiraishi, 최경희 (2010) 에스트로겐과 다이옥신 수용체 효모를 이용한 내분비계장애 영향 평가 한국환경분석학회지 13:109-115.
- 이은영, 노현호, 박영순, 강경원, 조성용, 이승열, 박인영, 김태화, 진용덕, 경기성 (2008) 청주 및 전주지역 유통 농산물 중 잔류농약 모니터링. 농약과학회지 12:357-362.
- 이지호, 박병준, 김진경, 김원일, 홍수명, 임건재, 홍무기 (2011) 주요 하천수역에서 검출된 농약의 수서생물에 대한 위해성 평가. 농약과학회지 15:48-54.
- 이철우, 최경희, 정석원, 김혜림, 서영록 (2009) 내분비계장애물질에 대한 이해와 미래 연구방향. 대한내분비학회지 24:7-14.
- 하광태, 박성규, 조태희, 한창호, 김성단, 이경아, 김시정, 장정임, 조한빈, 최병현 (2009) 서울 강북지역 유통 농산물의 내분비계장애 추정농약의 잔류실태(2007). 한국식품위생안전성학회지 24:136-142.
- Influence of Farming Practices on Weight-Length Relationship of the Loach (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus) Population in Rice Paddy Fields vol.35, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.11626/KJEB.2017.35.4.446
- Investigation of Korean Native Organisms for Development of Ecotoxicity Test : (1) Aquatic Test Species vol.40, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2018.40.1.34