- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Mitochondrial Gene Sequence in Etoxazole Resistant Two-Spotted Spider Mite, Tetranychus urticae
Etoxazole 저항성 점박이응애의 미토콘드리아 유전자 서열 분석
- Park, Sang-Eun (Dept. of Plant Medicine, College of Agriculture, Life and Environment Sciences, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Koo, Hyun-Na (Dept. of Plant Medicine, College of Agriculture, Life and Environment Sciences, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Yoon, Chang-Mann (Dept. of Plant Medicine, College of Agriculture, Life and Environment Sciences, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Choi, Jang-Jeon (Pear Research Station, NIHHS, RDA) ;
- Kim, Gil-Hah (Dept. of Plant Medicine, College of Agriculture, Life and Environment Sciences, Chungbuk National University)
- 박상은 (충북대학교 농업생명환경대학 식물의학과) ;
- 구현나 (충북대학교 농업생명환경대학 식물의학과) ;
- 윤창만 (충북대학교 농업생명환경대학 식물의학과) ;
- 최장전 (농촌진흥청 국립원예특작과학원 배시험장) ;
- 김길하 (충북대학교 농업생명환경대학 식물의학과)
- Received : 2011.11.07
- Accepted : 2012.01.30
- Published : 2012.03.31
The two-spotted spider mite, Tetranychus urticae Koch (Acari: Tetranychidae), is one of the most important pest species devastating many horticultural and ornamental crops and fruit trees. Difficulty in managing this mite is largely attributed to its ability to develop resistance to many important acaricides. Development of 3,700-folds resistance to etoxazole was found in the population of T. urticae collected from rose greenhouses in Buyeo, Chungnam Province in August 2000. This population has been selected for eleven years with etoxazole (over 500 times), and increased over 5,000,000-folds in resistance as compared with susceptible strain. Also, etoxazole-resistant strain was shown to be maternally inherited. The objective of this study was to determine whether resistance of T. urticae to etoxazole was linked with point mutations in the mitochondrial gene. DNA sequencing of cytochrome c oxidase subunit I (COX1), COX2, COX3, cytochrome b (CYTB), NADH dehydrogenase subunit 1 (ND1), ND2, ND3, ND4, ND5, and ND6 were analyzed by comparing two etoxazole-susceptible and etoxazole-resistant strains. As a result, differences were not detected between the nucleotide sequences of two strains within a mitochondrial gene.
Tetranychus urticae;Etoxazole;Mitochondrial gene;Point mutation
Grant : 원예작물 경쟁력 제고 기술 - 배 수출증대를 위한 규격과 생산 및 주요 병해충 방제기술 개발 연구
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Asada, M (1978) Genetics and biochemical mechani는 of acaricide resistance in phytophagous mites. J. Pestic. Sci. 3:61-68. https://doi.org/10.1584/jpestics.3.61
- Boore, J. L (1999) Animal mitochondrial genomes. Nucleic Acids Res. 27:1767-1780. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/27.8.1767
- Dekeyser M. A (2005) Acaricide mode of action, Pest Manag. Sci. 61:103-110. https://doi.org/10.1002/ps.994
- Finney, D. J (1971) Probit analysis. 3rd ed. pp. 333. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Germer, S., M. J. Holland and R. Higuchi (2000) High-throughput SNP allele-frequency determination in pooled DNA samples by kinetic PCR. Genome Res. 10:258-266. https://doi.org/10.1101/gr.10.2.258
- Goka, K (1998) Mode of inheritance of resistance to three new acaricides in the kanzawa spider mite, Tetranychus kanzawai Kishida (Acarina: Tetranychidae). Exp. Appl. Acarol. 22: 699-708. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006062807613
- Inoue, K (1984) Resistance to amitraz in the citrus red mite, Panonychus citri (McGregor) in relation to population genetics. Jpn. J. Appl. Entomol. Zool. 28:260-268. https://doi.org/10.1303/jjaez.28.260
- Kobayashi, M., S. Kobayashi and T. Nishimori (2001) Occurrence of etoxazole resistance individuals of the two spotted spider mite, Tetranychus urticae Koch from a limited region. Jpn. J. Appl. Entomol. Zool. 45:83-88. https://doi.org/10.1303/jjaez.2001.83
- Kuwahara, M (1977) The development and inheritance of resistance in the kanzawa spider mite, Tetranychus kanzawai Kishida, selected with chlordimeform, dicofol and phenthoate. Jpn. J. Appl. Entomol. Zool. 21:163-168. https://doi.org/10.1303/jjaez.21.163
- Lee, K. R., H. N. Koo, C. Yoon and G. H. Kim (2010) Cross resistance and point mutation of the mitochondrial cytochrome b of bifenazate resistant two-spotted spider Mite, Tetranychus urticae. Kor. J. Pestic. Sci. 14:247-254.
- Lee, S. H., J. R. Gao, K. S. Yoon, K. Y. Mumcuoglu, D. Taplin, J. D. Edman, M. Takano-Lee and J. M. Clark (2003b) Sodium channel mutations associated with knockdown resistance in the human head louse, Pediculus capitis, (De Geer). Pestic. Biochem. Physiol. 75:79-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-3575(03)00018-X
- Lee, S, Y., K. S. Ahn, C. S. Kim, S. C. Shin and G. H. Kim (2004) Inheritance and stability of etoxazol resistance in two-spotted spider mite, Tetranychus urticae, and its cross resistacne. Kor. J. Appl. Entomol. 3:43-48.
- Lee Y. S., M. H. Song, K. S. Ahn, K. Y. Lee, J. W. Kim and G. H. Kim (2003a) Monitoring of acaricide resistance in two spotted spider mite (Tertranychus urticae) populations from rose green houses in Korea. J. Asia Pacific Entomol. 6:91-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1226-8615(08)60173-9
- Livak, K. J (1999) Allelic discrimination using fluorogenic probes and the 5'nuclease assay. Genet. Anal. 14:143-149. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1050-3862(98)00019-9
- Nauen, R and G. Smagghe (2006) Mode of action of etoxazole. Pest Manag. Sci. 62:379-382. https://doi.org/10.1002/ps.1192
- Park, C. G., S. G. Lee, B. R. Choi, J. K. Yoo and J. O. Lee (1996) Inheritance of tetradifon resistance in twospotted spider mite (Acarina: Tetranychidae). Korean J. Appl. Entomol. 35:260-265.
- Pesticide handbook (2000) Korea Crop Protection Association (KCPA).
- Sham, P., J. S. Bader, I. Craig, M. O'Donovan and M. Owen (2002) DNA pooling: a tool for large-scale association studies. Nat. Rev. Genet. 3:862-871. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrg930
- Takafuji, A., A. Ozawa, H. Nemoto and T. Gotoh (2000) Spider mites of Japan: their biology and control. Exp. Appl. Acarol. 24:319-335. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006453209154
- Tomlin, C (2000) The pesticide manual. British crop council Twelfth Edition. 803 pp.
- Yu, J. S., D. K. Seo, E. H. Kim, J. B. Han, K. S. Ahn and G. H. Kim (2005) Inheritance and cross resistance of bifenazate resistance in two spotted spider mite, Tetranychus urticae. Kor. J. Appl. Entomol. 44:151-156.
- Van Leeuwen, T., B. Vanholme, S. Van Pottelberge, P. Van Nieuwemhuyse, R. Nauen, L. Tirry and I. Denholm (2008) Mitochondrial heteroplasmy and the evolution of insecticide resistance: non-Mendelian inheritance in action. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 105:5980-5985. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0802224105
- Van Leeuwen, T., L. Tirry and R. Nauen (2006) Complete maternal inheritance of bifenazate resistance in Tertranychus urticae Koch (Acari : Trtranychidae) and its implications in mode of action considerations. Insect Biochem. Mol. Biol. 36:869-877. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ibmb.2006.08.005
- Van Nieuwenhuyse, P., T. Van Leeuwen, J. Khajehali, B. Vanholme and L. Tirry (2009) Mutations in the mitochondrial cytochrome b of Tetranychus urticae Koch (Acari: Tetranychidae) confer cross-resistance between bifenazate and acequinocyl. Pest Manag. Sci. 65:404-412. https://doi.org/10.1002/ps.1705
- Whalon, M. E., D. Mota-Sanchez, R. M. Hollingworth and L. Duynslager (2004) Arthropod Pesticide Resistance Database. Angelsee Software Inc.
- Yamamoto, A., H. Yoneda, R. Hatano and M. Asada (1995) Genetic analysis of hexythiazox resistance in the citrus red mite, Panonychus citri McGregor. J. Pestic. Sci. 20:513-519. https://doi.org/10.1584/jpestics.20.513