- Volume 8 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Dynamic Replication Based on Availability and Popularity in the Presence of Failures
- Meroufel, Bakhta (Dept. of Computer Science, Faculty of Sciences, University of Oran (Es Senia)) ;
- Belalem, Ghalem (Dept. of Computer Science, Faculty of Sciences, University of Oran (Es Senia))
- Received : 2011.06.28
- Accepted : 2012.04.12
- Published : 2012.06.30
The data grid provides geographically distributed resources for large-scale applications. It generates a large set of data. The replication of this data in several sites of the grid is an effective solution for achieving good performance. In this paper we propose an approach of dynamic replication in a hierarchical grid that takes into account crash failures in the system. The replication decision is taken based on two parameters: the availability and popularity of the data. The administrator requires a minimum rate of availability for each piece of data according to its access history in previous periods, but this availability may increase if the demand is high on this data. We also proposed a strategy to keep the desired availability respected even in case of a failure or rarity (no-popularity) of the data. The simulation results show the effectiveness of our replication strategy in terms of response time, the unavailability of requests, and availability.
- W. H. Bell, D. G. Cameron, L. Capozza, A. P. Millar, K. Stockinger, and F. Zini, "Simulation of Dynamic Grid Replication Strategies in OptorSim," Int. Journal of High Performance Computing Applications, Vol.17, 2003, pp.46-57.
- W.H. Bell, D.G. Cameron and R.C. Schiaffino "Evaluation of an Economy-Based File Replication Strategy for a Data Grid". In Proceedings of the 3rd IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid, 2003 (CCGrid 2003) (Tokyo, Japan). IEEE CS Press, Los Alamitos, CA, USA.
- A. Chervenak, I. Foster, C. Kesselman, C. Salisbury, and S. Tuecke, The Data Grid: Towards an Architecture for the Distributed Management and Analysis of Large Scientific Datasets, Network and Computer Application, Journal of Network and Computer Applications, 23(3):187-200, July 2000. https://doi.org/10.1006/jnca.2000.0110
- E.W. Dijstra. Self stabilizing systems in spite of distributed control. Communications of the ACM, 17(11):643-644, 1974. https://doi.org/10.1145/361179.361202
- I. Foster. The grid: A new infrastructure for 21st century science. Physics Today, Vol.55, No.2, 2002, pp.42-47.
- F. Hanandeh, M. Khazaaleh, H. Ibrahim and R. Latip: CFS: a new dynamic replication strategy for data grids. Int. Arab J. Inf. Technol. 9(1): 94-99, 2012.
- G-F. Hughes, J-F. Murray, and K-K. Delgoda. Improved disk drive failure warnings. In IEEE Transaction on reliability, 51(3): 350-357, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TR.2002.802886
- T.Huu, M-T.Segarra, J-M.Gilliot Un systeme adaptatif de placement de donnees, In CFSE'6 : Conference Français sur les Systemes d'Exploitation, Fribourg, Suisse, du 11 au 13 fevrier 2008
- H. Lamhamedi, B. Szymanski, Z. Shentu, E. Deelman. Data replication strategies in grid environments. In Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Algorithms and Architectures for Parallel Processing (ICA3PP'02). IEEE CS Press, Los Alamitos, CA, USA.
- M. Larrea, S. Arevalo, and A. Fernandez. Efficient algorithms to implement unreliable failure detectors in partially synchronous system. Distributed computing, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol.1693, 1999.
- M. Lei, S. Vrbsky, A data replication strategy to increase availability in Data Grids, in: Grid Computing and Applications, Las Vegas, NV, 2006, pp.221-227.
- B. Meroufel, and G. Belalem; Availability Management in Data Grid. Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, 1, Volume 107, IT Convergence and Services, Part 1, 2011, pp.43-53.
- K. Mohammed and S. Hassan, Dynamic Replication Algorithm in Data Grid: Survey, International Conference on Network Applications, Protocols and Services 2008 (NetApps2008), ISBN 978-983-2078-33-3, on 21-22 November, 2008.
- B. Naddaf and J. Habibi, Bidding Strategically for Scheduling in Grid Systems. Journal of Information Processing Systems JIPS,5(2): 87-96, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3745/JIPS.2009.5.2.087
- S.M. Park, J.H. Kim, Y.B. Ko, and W.S. Yoon: Dynamic Data Grid Replication Strategy based on Internet Hierarchy. Second International Workshop on Grid and Cooperative computing (GCC'2003) in Shanghai, China, December, 2003.
- K. Ranganathan, A. Iamnitchi and I. Foster. 2002. Improving data availability through dynamic model-driven replication in large peer-to-peer communities. In Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid (CCGRID'02) (Berlin, Germany). IEEE CS Press, 21-24 may 2002, Los Alamitos, CA, USA, pp.376-381.
- K. Ranganathan and I. Foster, Design and Evaluation of Dynamic Replication Strategies for a High Performance Data Grid, International Conference on Computing in High Energy and Nuclear Physics, Beijing, September, 2001.
- K. Sashi, Antony Selvadoss Thanamani: Dynamic replication in a data grid using a Modified BHR Region Based Algorithm. Future Generation Computer Systems. 27(2): 202-210, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.future.2010.08.011
- M. Tang, B. S. Lee, X. Tang, and C. K. Yeo, The impact of data replication on job scheduling performance in the Data Grid, Future Generation Computer Systems, 22(3): 254-268, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.future.2005.08.004
- S. Venugopal, R. Buyya, and K. Ramamohanarao, A Taxonomy of Data Grids for Distributed Data Sharing, Management, and Processing, ACM Computing Surveys. 38(1): 1-53, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1145/1132952.1132953
- TSMC: A Novel Approach for Live Virtual Machine Migration vol.2014, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/297127
- Data popularity measurements in distributed systems: Survey and design directions vol.72, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnca.2016.06.002
- x86-Android performance improvement for x86 smart mobile devices vol.28, pp.10, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/cpe.3189
- Collaborative Services for Fault Tolerance in Hierarchical Data Grid vol.5, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4018/ijdst.2014010101