- Volume 41 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Fibre composite railway sleeper design by using FE approach and optimization techniques
- Awad, Ziad K. (Faculty of Engineering and Surveying, University of Southern Queensland (USQ)) ;
- Yusaf, Talal (Faculty of Engineering and Surveying, University of Southern Queensland (USQ))
- Received : 2010.03.17
- Accepted : 2012.01.03
- Published : 2012.01.25
This research work aims to develop an optimal design using Finite Element (FE) and Genetic Algorithm (GA) methods to replace the traditional concrete and timber material by a Synthetic Polyurethane fibre glass composite material in railway sleepers. The conventional timber railway sleeper technology is associated with several technical problems related to its durability and ability to resist cutting and abrading action of the bearing plate. The use of pre-stress concrete sleeper in railway industry has many disadvantages related to the concrete material behaviour to resist dynamic stress that may lead to a significant mechanical damage with feasible fissures and cracks. Scientific researchers have recently developed a new composite material such as Glass Fibre Reinforced Polyurethane (GFRP) foam to replace the conventional one. The mechanical properties of these materials are reliable enough to help solving structural problems such as durability, light weight, long life span (50-60 years), less water absorption, provide electric insulation, excellent resistance of fatigue and ability to recycle. This paper suggests appropriate sleeper design to reduce the volume of the material. The design optimization shows that the sleeper length is more sensitive to the loading type than the other parameters.
structural optimization;composite;dynamic stress analysis;railway engineering
- Almeida, F.S. and Awruch, A.M. (2009), "Design optimization of composite laminated structures using genetic algorithms and finite element analysis", Compos. Struct., 88(3), 443-454. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2008.05.004
- Anderson, W.F. and Fair, P. (2008), "Behavior of railroad ballast under monotonic and cyclic loading", J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 134(3), 316-327. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2008)134:3(316)
- Aravinthan, T. (2008), R&D on Engineering Fibre Composite-Past, Present and Future, Toowoomba.
- Australia, S. (2003), Railway Track Material, Part 14:Prestressed Concrete Sleepers.
- Bank, L. (2006), Composite for Construction: Structural Design with FRP Material, JOHN WILEY & SONS, New Jersey.
- Berthelot, J.M. and Sefrani, Y. (2007), "Longitudinal and transverse damping of unidirectional fibre composites", Compos. Struct., 79(3), 423-431. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2006.02.006
- Bowness, D., Lock, A.C., Powrie, W., Priest, J.A. and Richards, D.J. (2007), "Monitoring the dynamic displacements of railway track", Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: J. Rail and Rapid Transit.
- Clarke, J.L. (1996), Structural Design of Polymer Composite- EUROCOMP Design Code and Handbook, E&FN Spon, UK.
- Gonzalez-Nicieza, C., Alvarez-Fernandez, M.I., Menendez-Díaz, A., Alvarez-Vigil, A.E. and Ariznavarreta- Fernández, F. (2008), "Failure analysis of concrete sleepers in heavy haul railway tracks", Eng. Fail. Anal., 15(1-2), 90-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2006.11.021
- Kabo, E. (2006), "A numerical study of the lateral ballast resistance in railway tracks", Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: J. Rail and Rapid Transit, 220(4), 425-433.
- Kaewunruen, S. and Remennikov, A. (2007), "Influence of voids and pockets on vibration characteristics of railway concrete sleepers", Underground Coal Operators' Conference, Faculty of Eng.-Papers, 360.
- Manalo, A., Aravinthan, T., Karunasena, W. and Ticoalu, A. (2010), "A review of alternative materials for replacing existing timber sleepers", Compos. Struct., 92(3), 603-611. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2009.08.046
- Nagafuji, T. and Noritsugi, A. (1988), "Performance of synthetic sleepeer", Railway Tech. Res. Inst., Quarterly Reports, 29(3), 107-113.
- Namura, A., Yukihiro, K. and Seiichi, M. (2005), "Study on the optimum size of railway sleeper for ballasted truck", Struct. Eng. Earthq. Eng., JSCE, 22(2), 245S-255S https://doi.org/10.2208/jsceseee.22.245s
- Prasad, P. (2008), Fibre Composite Railway Transom, Toowoomba.
- Qiao, P., Davalos, J.F. and Zipfel, M.G. (1998), "Modeling and optimal design of composite-reinforced wood railroad crosstie", Compos. Struct., 41(1), 87-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8223(98)00051-8
- Sadeghi, J.M. and Babaee, A. (2006), "Structural optimization of B70 railway prestressed concrete sleeper", Iran. J. Sce. Tech., 30(B4), 461-473.
- Suiker, A.S.J., Selig, E.T. and Frenkel, R. (2005), "Static and cyclic triaxial testing of ballast and subballast", J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 131(6), 771-782. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2005)131:6(771)
- Walker, M. and Smith, R.E. (2003), "A technique for the multiobjective optimisation of laminated composite structures using genetic algorithms and finite element analysis", Compos. Struct., 62(1), 123-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8223(03)00098-9
- Monitoring in-service performance of fibre-reinforced foamed urethane sleepers/bearers in railway urban turnout systems vol.1, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/smm.2014.1.1.131
- Optimization of a sandwich beam design: analytical and numerical solutions vol.48, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.48.1.093