- Volume 11 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Determination of Polarization Resistance by Harmonic Current Measurements
조화 전류 측정에 의한 분극 저항 평가
- Kim, Jong Jip (Korea Research Institute of Standards and Science) ;
- Yu, Mi Young (Korea Research Institute of Standards and Science)
- Received : 2012.10.09
- Accepted : 2012.12.21
- Published : 2012.12.31
Harmonic current was measured for a dummy cell with various values of resistance, and the procedure developed through the measurements was applied to the investigation of effects of the amplitude of applied frequency and applied potential on the harmonic current of a stainless steel and a carbon steel in chloride containing solutions. From the measurements of harmonic current in the dummy cell, the optimum values of applied frequency and applied potential in harmonic current measurements were found to be 1 mHz and 20 mV (or lower), respectively. Increase in harmonic current with applied frequency was observed in the case where the level of harmonic current is low as in a stainless steel. Decrease in polarization resistance was also noted in this corrosion system with either increasing applied frequency or decreasing applied potential. However, no obvious effects of applied frequency was observed on harmonic current and polarization resistance in a carbon steel in which the level of harmonic current is high.
- J. S. Jill, L. M. Callow, and J. D. Scantlebury, Corrosion, 39, 61 (1983). https://doi.org/10.5006/1.3580816
- M. C. H. McKubre and B. C. Syrett, ASTM STP 908, p. 433, ASTM, Philadelphia (1986).
- K. L. Dawson and J. D. Scantlebury, Mater. Sci. Forum, 44, 387 (1989).
- L. Meszaros, G. Meszaros, and B. Lengyel, J. Electrochem. Soc., 141, 2068 (1994). https://doi.org/10.1149/1.2055062
- S. Sathiyanarayanan and K. Balakrishnan, Br. Corrosion. J., 29, 152 (1994). https://doi.org/10.1179/000705994798267827
- R. W. Bosch and W. F. Bogaerts, J. Electrochem. Soc., 143, 4033 (1996). https://doi.org/10.1149/1.1837332
- W. Durnie, RD. Marco, A. Jefferson, and B. Kinsella, Corros. Sci., 44, 1213 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0010-938X(01)00136-6
- R. Vedalakshmi, SP. Manoharan, and H. Song and N. Palanisswamy, Corros. Sci., 51, 2777 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.corsci.2009.07.014