- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Fatty Acid Composition as a Predictor for the Oxidation Stability of Korean Vegetable Oils with or without Induced Oxidative Stress
- Yun, Jung-Mi (Department of Food and Nutrition, Kwangju Women's University) ;
- Surh, Jeong-Hee (Department of Food and Nutrition, College of Health and Welfare, Kangwon National University)
- 투고 : 2012.02.22
- 심사 : 2012.04.11
- 발행 : 2012.06.30
This study was designed to investigate whether the fatty acid composition could make a significant contribution to the oxidation stability of vegetable oils marketed in Korea. Ten kinds, 97 items of vegetable oils that were produced in either an industrialized or a traditional way were collected and analyzed for their fatty acid compositions and lipid oxidation products, in the absence or presence of oxidative stress. Peroxidability index (PI) calculations based on the fatty acid composition ranged from 7.10 to 111.87 with the lowest value found in olive oils and the highest in perilla oils. In the absence of induced oxidative stress, malondialdehyde (MDA), the secondary lipid oxidation product, was generated more in the oils with higher PI (r=0.890), while the tendency was not observed when the oils were subjected to an oxidation-accelerating system. In the presence of the oxidative stress, the perilla oils produced in an industrialized manner generated appreciably higher amounts of MDA than those produced in a traditional way, although both types of oils presented similar PIs. The results implicate that the fatty acid compositions could be a predictor for the oxidation stability of the vegetable oils at the early stage of oil oxidation, but not for those at a later stage of oxidation.
- Kamal-Eldin A. 2006. Effect of fatty acids and tocopherols on the oxidative stability of vegetable oils. Eur J Lipid Sci Technol 58: 1051-1061.
- Merrill LI, Pike OA, Ogden LV, Dunn ML. 2008. Oxidative stability of conventional and high-oleic vegetable oils with added antioxidants. J Am Oil Chem Soc 85: 771-776. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11746-008-1256-4
- Kowalski B, Ratusz K, Kowalska D, Bekas W. 2004. Determination of the oxidative stability of vegetable oils by differential scanning calorimetry and rancimat measurements. Eur J Lipid Sci Technol 106: 165-169. https://doi.org/10.1002/ejlt.200300915
- Velasco J, Dobarganes C. 2002. Oxidative stability of virgin olive oil. Eur J Lipid Sci Technol 104: 661-676. https://doi.org/10.1002/1438-9312(200210)104:9/10<661::AID-EJLT661>3.0.CO;2-D
- KHIDI. 2010. National Food & Nutrition Statistics: based on 2008 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Korea Health Industry Development Institute, Seoul, Korea. p 8-60.
- Surh J, Kwon H. 2002. Quantification of 4-hydroxyalkenals in oils consumed in Korea. Korean J Food Sci Technol 34: 905-910.
- Surh J, Kwon H. 2005. Estimation of daily exposure to 4-hydroxy-2-alkenals in Korean foods containing n-3 and n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids. Food Addit Contam 22: 701-708. https://doi.org/10.1080/02652030500164359
- Lepage G, Roy CC. 1986. Direct transesterification of all classes of lipids in a one-step reaction. J Lipid Res 27: 114-120.
- Cortinas L, Galobart J, Barroeta AC, Baucells MD, Grashorn MA. 2003. Change in a-tocopherol contents, lipid oxidation and fatty acid profile in eggs enriched with linolenic acid or very long-chain w3 polyunsaturated fatty acids after different processing methods. J Sci Food Agr 83: 820-829. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.1418
- Ruiz RP. 2004. Karl Fischer titration. In Handbook of Food Analytical Chemistry. Wrolstad RE, Acree TE, Decker EA, Penner MH, Reid DS, Schwartz SJ, Shoemaker CF, Smith DM, Sporns P, eds. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ, USA. p 13-16.
- Pegg RB. 2004. Measurement of primary lipid oxidation products. In Handbook of Food Analytical Chemistry. Wrolstad RE, Acree TE, Decker EA, Penner MH, Reid DS, Schwartz SJ, Shoemaker CF, Smith DM, Sporns P, eds. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ, USA. p 531-564.
- Pegg RB. 2004. Spectrophotometric measurement of secondary lipid oxidation products. In Handbook of Food Analytical Chemistry. Wrolstad RE, Acree TE, Decker EA, Penner MH, Reid DS, Schwartz SJ, Shoemaker CF, Smith DM, Sporns P, eds. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ, USA. p 547-564.
- Tompkins C, Perkins EG. 1999. The evaluation of frying oils with the p-anisidine value. J Am Oil Chem Soc 76:945-947. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11746-999-0111-6
- Kornbrust DJ, Mavis RD. 1980. Relative susceptibility of microsomes from lung, heart, liver, brain and testes to lipid peroxidation: Correlation with vitamin E content. Lipids 15: 315-322. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02533546
- McClements DJ, Decker EA. 2008. Lipids. In Food Chemistry. Damodaran S, Parkin KL, Fennema OR, eds. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA. p 155-216.
- Simopoulos AP. 1989. Summary of NATO advanced research workshop on dietary w-3 and w-6 fatty acids: Biological effects and nutritional essentiality. J Nutr 19: 521-528.
- Surai PF, Sparks NHC. 2001. Designer eggs: from improvement of egg composition to functional food. Trends Food Sci Technol 12: 7-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-2244(01)00048-6
- Shahidi F, Amarowicz R, Abou-Gharbia HA, Shehata AAY. 1997. Endogenous antioxidants and stability of sesame oil as affected by processing and storage. J Am Oil Chem Soc 74: 143-148. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11746-997-0159-0
- Koski A, Psomiadou E, Tsimidou M, Hopia A, Kefalas P, Wahala K, Heinonen M. 2002. Oxidative stability and minor constituents of virgin olive oil and cold-pressed rapeseed oil. Eur Food Res Technol 214: 294-298. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00217-001-0479-5
- Kim SH, Kim IH, Kim JO, Lee GD. 2002. Comparision of components of sesame oils extracted from sesame flour and whole sesame. Korean J Food Preserv 9: 67-73.
- Nutritional indexes, fatty acids profile, and regiodistribution of oil extracted from four discarded species of the Alboran Sea: Seasonal effects vol.118, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/ejlt.201500486
- Oxidized dietary oils enhance immediate- and/or delayed-type allergic reactions in BALB/c mice vol.64, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.alit.2014.07.004
- DNA diversity in olive (Olea europaea L.) and its relationships with fatty acid, biophenol and sensory profiles of extra virgin olive oils vol.86, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2016.06.005
- Uses and Values of Perilla (Perilla frutescens var. frutescens) as a Functional Oil Source vol.28, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7732/kjpr.2015.28.1.135
- Influence of olive ripeness on chemical properties and phenolic composition of Chemlal extra-virgin olive oil vol.54, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2013.08.037
- Blood Cell Palmitoleate-Palmitate Ratio Is an Independent Prognostic Factor for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis vol.10, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0131512
- Effects of phosphorus and seed priming on seed vigor, fatty acids composition and heterotrophic seedling growth of black seed (Nigella sativa L.) grown in a calcareous soil vol.74, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2015.05.082
- Monitoring the moisture reduction and status of bioactive compounds in extra-virgin olive oil over the industrial filtration process vol.40, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2013.12.012
- Fatty acid composition and oxidative characteristics of novel edible oils in Poland 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/19476337.2016.1190406
- Time course of Algerian Azeradj extra-virgin olive oil quality during olive ripening vol.117, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1002/ejlt.201400197
- Fatty acid profile of new promising unconventional plant oils for cosmetic use vol.38, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/ics.12301
- Influence of the type of cellulosic derivatives on the texture, and oxidative and thermal stability of soybean oil oleogel vol.67, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3989/gya.0440161
- Relationship between the composition of fats and oils and their oxidative stability at different temperatures, determined using the Oxipres apparatus vol.119, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/ejlt.201600454
- Chemical characterization and oxidative stability of olive oils extracted from olive trees of Southern Brazil vol.52, pp.12, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1590/s0100-204x2017001200012
- Effects of packaging and pre-storage treatments on aflatoxin production in peanut storage under controlled conditions pp.0975-8402, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-018-3051-z
- New Antioxidant Multilayer Packaging with Nanoselenium to Enhance the Shelf-Life of Market Food Products vol.8, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/nano8100837
- Influence of oat β-glucan and canola oil addition on the physico-chemical properties of low-fat beef burgers pp.01458892, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.13785
- IL-18 and IFN-gamma expression enhances contact hypersensitivity after oral administration of naturally oxidized olive oil to mice vol.29, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/09540105.2018.1472222
- Tiger nut oil-based diet improves the lipid profile and antioxidant status of male Wistar rats pp.01458884, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jfbc.12587
- Studies of growth, oil, and fatty acids in seeds of two cultivars of Pistacia vera L. in relation with developmental stages pp.1432-2285, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00468-018-1802-0