- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Relationship Between Insertion Torque, and Pullout Strength Depending on the Size of the Pilot Hole and Biodegradable Suture Anchor in Osteoporotic Humeral Head
골다공증이 있는 상완골 골두의 파일럿 홀 (Pilot Hole)과 흡수성 나사못의 크기에 따른 토크 (Torque)와 뽑힘 강도 (Pullout Strength) 간의 관계
- Chun, Yong-Min (The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Arthroscopy and Joint Research Institute, Severance Hospital, Yonsei University College of Medicine) ;
- Lee, Young-Han (The Department of Radiology, Severance Hospital, Yonsei University College of Medicine) ;
- Kim, Sung-Hwan (The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Arthroscopy and Joint Research Institute, Severance Hospital, Yonsei University College of Medicine) ;
- Park, Yoo-Jung (The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Arthroscopy and Joint Research Institute, Severance Hospital, Yonsei University College of Medicine) ;
- Kim, Sung-Jae (The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Arthroscopy and Joint Research Institute, Severance Hospital, Yonsei University College of Medicine)
- 천용민 (연세대학교 의과대학 정형외과학교실) ;
- 이영한 (연세대학교 의과대학 영상의학과학교실) ;
- 김성환 (연세대학교 의과대학 정형외과학교실) ;
- 박유정 (연세대학교 의과대학 정형외과학교실) ;
- 김성재 (연세대학교 의과대학 정형외과학교실)
- Received : 2012.02.27
- Accepted : 2012.06.06
- Published : 2012.06.30
Purpose: The object of this study was to investigate the difference in torque and pullout strength between the standard anchor insertion (5.0 mm) with a small awl (3.7 mm) and larger anchor insertion (6.5 mm), with a standard awl (5.0 mm) in osteoporotic humeral head. Materials and Methods: The embalmed 24 paired cadaveric shoulders were assigned to either Group A or B. After measuring the bone mineral density (BMD) of the ROI (region of interest) in the humeral head, 5.0 mm suture anchors were inserted using a 3.7 mm awl in Group A1, and the same 5.0 mm anchors were inserted using a 5.0 mm awl in Group A2. The 5.0 mm anchors were inserted using a 5.0 mm awl in Group B1, and 6.5 mm anchors were inserted using a 5.0 mm awl in Group B2. We measured the torques at the time of the anchor insertion and pullout strengths. Results: There was no significant difference in the BMD between the groups. The torque of A1 (20.6
Supported by : 연세대학교 의과대학
- Lehman C, Cuomo F, Kummer FJ, Zuckerman JD. The incidence of full thickness rotator cuff tears in a large cadaveric population. Bull Hosp Jt Dis. 1995;54: 30-1.
- Milgrom C, Schaffler M, Gilbert S, van Holsbeeck M. Rotator-cuff changes in asymptomatic adults. The effect of age, hand dominance and gender. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1995;77:296-8.
- Sher JS, Uribe JW, Posada A, Murphy BJ, Zlatkin MB. Abnormal findings on magnetic resonance images of asymptomatic shoulders. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1995;77:10-5. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-199501000-00002
- Barber FA, Feder SM, Burkhart SS, Ahrens J. The relationship of suture anchor failure and bone density to proximal humerus location: a cadaveric study. Arthroscopy. 1997;13:340-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-8063(97)90031-1
- Tingart MJ, Apreleva M, Zurakowski D, Warner JJ. Pullout strength of suture anchors used in rotator cuff repair. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003;85-A:2190-8.
- Tingart MJ, Apreleva M, Lehtinen J, Zurakowski D, Warner JJ. Anchor design and bone mineral density affect the pull-out strength of suture anchors in rotator cuff repair: which anchors are best to use in patients with low bone quality? Am J Sports Med. 2004;32: 1466-73. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546503262644
- Kaar TK, Schenck RC, Jr., Wirth MA, Rockwood CA, Jr. Complications of metallic suture anchors in shoulder surgery: A report of 8 cases. Arthroscopy. 2001;17:31-7. https://doi.org/10.1053/jars.2001.18246
- Benson EC, MacDermid JC, Drosdowech DS, Athwal GS. The incidence of early metallic suture anchor pullout after arthroscopic rotator cuff repair. Arthroscopy. 2010;26:310-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arthro.2009.08.015
- Kirchhoff C, Braunstein V, Milz S, Sprecher CM, Fischer F, Tami A, Ahrens P, Imhoff AB, Hinter-wimmer S. Assessment of bone quality within the tuberosities of the osteoporotic humeral head: relevance for anchor positioning in rotator cuff repair. Am J Sports Med. 2010;38:564-9. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546509354989
- Mahar A, Allred DW, Wedemeyer M, Abbi G, Pedowitz R. A biomechanical and radiographic analysis of standard and intracortical suture anchors for arthroscopic rotator cuff repair. Arthroscopy. 2006;22: 130-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arthro.2005.08.042
- Schneeberger AG, von Roll A, Kalberer F, Jacob HA, Gerber C. Mechanical strength of arthroscopic rotator cuff repair techniques: an in vitro study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2002;84-A:2152-60.
- Burkhart SS. The deadman theory of suture anchors: observations along a south Texas fence line. Arthroscopy. 1995;11:119-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-8063(95)90100-0
- Petit CJ, Boswell R, Mahar A, Tasto J, Pedowitz RA. Biomechanical evaluation of a new technique for rotator cuff repair. Am J Sports Med. 2003;31:849-53. https://doi.org/10.1177/03635465030310062001
- Lee S, Mahar A, Bynum K, Pedowitz R. Biomechanical comparison of bioabsorbable sutureless screw anchor versus suture anchor fixation for rotator cuff repair. Arthroscopy. 2005;21:43-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arthro.2004.09.020
- Bynum CK, Lee S, Mahar A, Tasto J, Pedowitz R. Failure mode of suture anchors as a function of insertion depth. Am J Sports Med. 2005;33:1030-4. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546504271746
- Gerber C, Fuchs B, Hodler J. The results of repair of massive tears of the rotator cuff. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2000;82:505-15. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-200004000-00006
- Djurasovic M, Marra G, Arroyo JS, Pollock RG, Flatow EL, Bigliani LU. Revision rotator cuff repair: factors influencing results. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2001;83-A:1849-55.
- Goradia VK, Mullen DJ, Boucher HR, Parks BG, O'Donnell JB. Cyclic loading of rotator cuff repairs: A comparison of bioabsorbable tacks with metal suture anchors and transosseous sutures. Arthroscopy. 2001;17:360-4. https://doi.org/10.1053/jars.2001.21243
- Burkhart SS, Diaz Pagan JL, Wirth MA, Athanasiou KA. Cyclic loading of anchor-based rotator cuff repairs: confirmation of the tension overload phenomenon and comparison of suture anchor fixation with transosseous fixation. Arthroscopy. 1997;13:720-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-8063(97)90006-2
- Yakacki CM, Poukalova M, Guldberg RE, Lin A, Saing M, Gillogly S, Gall K. The effect of the trabecular microstructure on the pullout strength of suture anchors. J Biomech. 2010;43:1953-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2010.03.013