- Volume 13 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Relationship between Future Orientation, Regulatory Focus, and Need for Cognition and Healthy Menu Choices
- Park, Sang-Hee (Department of Hotel and Tourism, Keimyung University) ;
- Cho, Soo-Hyun (Department of Consumer Sciences, South Dakota State University) ;
- Yoon, Hae-Jin (Department of Consumer Sciences, South Dakota State University)
- Received : 2012.04.01
- Accepted : 2012.05.27
- Published : 2012.06.30
The effect of nutritional information on healthier menu choices have been reflected in previous research and nutrition policy efforts. This study further examines the relationship between healthy menu choices and three consumer characteristics - Future Orientation, Regulatory Focus, and Need for Cognition. A
- Congressional Research Service (2010). HR3590: Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. [WWW document]. URL http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-3590 (Accessed on 20 October 2011).
- Public Law 111-148: Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. [WWW document]. URL http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-111publ148/pdf/PLAW-111publ148.pdf (Accessed on 20 October 2011).
- (2000) Nutrition and You: Trends 2000: What Do Americans Think, Need, Expect? Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 100, 626-627. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(00)00183-8
- Bearden, W., Money, B., & Nevins, J. (2003). Development and validation of a measure of long term orientation. Enhancing Knowledge Development in Marketing, 14.
- Burton, S., Creyer, E.H., Kees, J., & Huggins, K. (2006). Attacking the obesity epidemic: the potential health benefits of providing nutrition information in restaurants. American Journal of Public Health, 96, 1669-1675. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2004.054973
- Cacioppo, J., Petty, R., Feinstein, J., & Jarvis, W. (1996). Dispositional differences in cognitive motivation: The life and times of individuals varying in need for cognition. Psychological Bulletin, 119, 197-253. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.119.2.197
- Cacioppo, J., Petty, R., & Sidera, J. (1982). The effects of a salient self-schema on the evaluation of proattitudinal editorials: Top-down versus bottom-up message processing. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 18, 324-338. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1031(82)90057-9
- Chaiken, S. (1980). Heuristic versus systematic information processing and the use of source versus message cues in persuasion. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 39, 752-766. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1992
- Chaiken, S. (1987). The heuristic model of persuasion. Social Influence: The Ontario Symposium, 5, 3-39.
- Cranage, D. A., Conklin, M. T., & Bordi, P. L. (2003). Can young adults be influenced to eat healthier snacks: the effects of choice and nutritional information on taste, satisfaction and intent to purchase. Foodservice Research International, 14, 125-137. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4506.2003.tb00184.x
- French, S. A., Story, M., Neumark-Sztainer, D., Fulkerson, J.A., & Hannan, P. (2001). Fast food restaurant use among adolescents: associations with nutrient intake, food choices and behavioral and psychosocial variables. International Journal of Obesity & Related Metabolic Disorders, 25, 1823-1833. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0801820
- Grant, H., & Higgins, E.T. (2003). Optimism, promotion pride, and prevention pride as predictors of quality of life. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 29, 1521-1532. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167203256919
- Halperin, M. (2008). Light Breaks. QSR Magazine.
- Higgins, E. T. (1997). Beyond pleasure and pain. American Psychologist, 52, 1280-1300. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.52.12.1280
- Higgins, E. T. (2002). How self-regulation creates distinct values: The case of promotion and prevention decision making. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 12, 177-191. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327663JCP1203_01
- Higgins, E. T., Friedman, R. S., Harlow, R. E., Idson, L. C., Ayduk, O. N., & Taylor, A. (2001). Achievement orientations from subjective histories of success: Promotion pride versus prevention pride. European Journal of Social Psychology, 31, 3-23. https://doi.org/10.1002/ejsp.27
- Howlett, E., Kees, J., & Kemp, E. (2008). The role of self-regulation, future orientation, and financial knowledge in long-term financial decisions. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 42, 223-242. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6606.2008.00106.x
- Jeffery, R. W., & French, S. A. (1998). Epidemic obesity in the United States: are fast foods and television viewing contributing? American Journal of Public Health, 88, 277-280. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.88.2.277
- Keller, P. A. (2006). Regulatory focus and efficacy of health messages. Journal of Consumer Research, 33, 109-114. https://doi.org/10.1086/504141
- Liberman, N., Idson, L. C., Camacho, C. J., & Higgins, E. T. (1999). Promotion and prevention choices between stability and change. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 77, 1135-1145. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.525
- Mills, J. E., & Thomas, L. (2008). Assessing customer expectations of information provided on restaurant menus: a confirmatory factor analysis approach. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research, 32, 62-88. https://doi.org/10.1177/1096348007309569
- Orbell, S., Perugini, M., & Rakow, T. (2004). Individual differences in sensitivity to health communications: Consideration of future consequences. Health Psychology, 23, 388-396. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-6184.108.40.2068
- Perlick, A. (2004). The great plate debate. Restaurants & Institutions, 114, 54-58.
- Petty, R. E., & Cacioppo, J. T. (1986). The elaboration likelihood model of persuasion. Advances in Experimental Social Psychology, 19, 123-205. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0065-2601(08)60214-2
- Robinson, R., & Smith, C. (2003). Associations between self-reported health conscious consumerism, bodymass index, and attitudes about sustainably produced foods. Agriculture and Human Values, 20, 177-187. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1024017610510
- Sirois, F. M. (2004). Procrastination and intentions to perform health behaviors: The role of self-efficacy and the consideration of future consequences. Personality and Individual Differences, 37, 115-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2003.08.005
- Steward, W. T., Schneider, T. R., Pizarro, J., & Salovey, P. (2003). Need for cognition moderates responses to framed smoking-cessation messages. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 33, 2439-2464. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2003.tb02775.x
- Strathman, A., Gleicher, F., Boninger, D., & Edwards, C. (1994). The consideration of future consequences: weighing immediate and distant outcomes of behavior. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 66, 742-752. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.112
- Vadiveloo, M. K., Dixon, L. B., & Elbel, B. (2011). Consumer purchasing patterns in response to calorie labeling legislation in New York City. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 8, 51. https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-8-51
- Van Der Merwe, D., Kempen, E. L., Breedt, S., & De Beer, H. (2010). Food choice: student consumers' decision-making process regarding food products with limited label information. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 34, 11-18. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1470-6431.2009.00858.x
- Williams-Piehota, P., Schneider, T., Pizarro, J., Mowad, L., & Salovey, P. (2003). Matching health messages to information-processing styles: Need for cognition and mammography utilization. Health Communication, 15, 375-392. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327027HC1504_01
- Zimbardo, P. G., & Boyd, N. (1999). Putting time in perspective: A valid, reliable, individual-differences metric. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 17, 1271-1288.
- The Role of Self-Control on Retirement Preparedness of US Households vol.17, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.6115/ijhe.2016.17.2.31