- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of a Metal Plane on a Meandered Slot Antenna for UHF RFID Applications
- Kim, Ji-Kwon ;
- Oh, Il-Young ;
- Koo, Tae-Wan ;
- Kim, Jun-Chul ;
- Kim, Dong-Su ;
- Yook, Jong-Gwan
- Received : 2012.05.02
- Accepted : 2012.06.05
- Published : 2012.06.30
In this paper, the effects of a metal plane on the performance of a meandered slot RFID antenna are evaluated in a real environment, and 3 metal plane cases are considered (the most likely scenarios in which metal conductive materials are placed near the tag antenna). The metal plane effects can be categorized as matching degradation and antenna gain variation. First, matching degradation due to the antenna's induced mutual impedance is experimentally investigated. In addition, the gain variation is investigated to figure out the change in the radiation characteristics. With the derived antenna parameters, the read range is calculated with the Friis transmission equation and measured to analyze the effects of a metal plane on RFID system performance. The calculated and measured read range varies from 9.3 m to 19.1 m as the distance between the RFID antenna and the metal plane changes.
RFID;Mutual Impedance;Metal Effects;Friis Transmission Equation;Slot Antenna
- K. Seemann, F. Cielek, M. Schmidt, and R. Weigel, "RFID at UHF frequencies: The passive transponder fronted approach," Int. Conference on MIKON, pp. 657-661, May 2006.
- P. Foster, R. Burberry, "Antenna problems in RFID systems," IEEE Colloquium on RFID Technology, London, UK, pp. 3/1-3/5, 1999.
- S. -L. Chen, K. -H. Lin, and R. Mittra, "Miniature and near-3D omnidirectional radiation pattern RFID tag antenna design," Electron. Lett., vol. 45, no. 18, pp. 923-924, Aug. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2009.1873
- J. Tan, X. Li, "Wideband double-UT RFID tag antenna design," IEEE Asia Pacific Conference on Circuits and Systems, Macao, pp. 1256-1259, 2008.
- C. Cho, H. Choo, and I. Park, "Broadband RFID tag antenna with quasi-isotropic radiation pattern," Electron. Letters., vol. 41, no. 20, pp. 1091-1092, Sep. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:20052337
- Li Xu, Li-bin Tian, and Bin-jie Hu, "A novel broadband UHF RFID tag antenna mountable on metallic surface," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., pp. 2128-2131, 2007.
- H. -W. Son, C. -S. Pyo, "Design of RFID tag antennas using an inductively coupled feed," Electron. Letters, vol. 41, no. 18, pp. 994-996, Sep. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:20051536
- W. Choi, H. -W. Son, J. -H. Bae, and G. Choi, "RFID tag antenna with a meandered dipole and inductively coupled feed," IEEE AP-S. Int. Symp., pp. 619-622, Jul. 2006.
- S. -H Lim, Y. -C Oh, H. Lim, and N. -H. Myung, "Compact wideband tag antenna for UHF RFID," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 1291-1294, May 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.24295
- G. Marrocco, "RFID antennas for the UHF remote monitoring of human subjects," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 1862- 1870, Jul. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2007.898626
- J. Kim, I. -Y. Oh, T. -W. Koo, J. -C. Kim, D. Kim, and J. -G. Yook, "Design of a meandered slot antenna for the UHF RFID application," IEEE AP-S. Int. Symp., pp. 1-4, Jul. 2010.
- L. Ukkonen, L. Sydänheimo, and M. Kivikoski, "Effects of metallic plate size on the performance of microstrip patch type tag antennas for passive RFID," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 4, pp. 410-413, Oct. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2005.860212
- L. Mo, H. Zhang, "RFID antenna near the surface of metal," Int. Symp. on Microwave, Antenna, Propagation, and EMC Technologies for Wireless Communications, Hangzhou, pp. 803-806, 2007.
- X. Qing, Z. N. Chen, "Proximity effects of metallic environments on high frequency RFID reader antenna: Study and applications," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 55, no. 11, pp. 3105- 3111, Nov. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2007.908575
- D. M. Dobkin, S. M Weigand, "Environmental effects on RFID tag antennas," Microwave Symposium Digest, 2005 IEEE MTT-S International, Jun. 2005.
- M. Keskilammi, L. Sydänheimo, and M. Kivikoski, "Radio frequency technology for automated manufacturing and logistics control. Part 1: Passive RFID systems and the effects of antenna parameters on operational distance," The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, vol. 21, no. 10-11, pp. 769-774, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-002-1392-1
- T. -W. Koo, D. Kim, J. -I. Ryu, J. -K. Kim, J. -G. Yook, and J. -C. Kim, "Design and implementation of label-type UHF RFID tags for the metallic object application," IEEE AP-S. Int. Symp., pp. 1-4, Jul. 2010.
- J. T. Prothro, G. D. Durgin, and J. D. Griffin, "The effects of a metal ground plane on RFID tag antennas," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium 2006, IEEE, pp. 3241-3244, Jul. 2006.
- D. Kim, T. -W. Koo, J. -I. Ryu, J. -G. Yook, and J. -C. Kim, "Accurate impedance measurement and implementation of a folded dipole antenna for RFID tag," IEEE AP-S Int. Symp. Antenna and Propagation, pp. 93-96, 2009.
- R. Elliott, L. Kurtz, "The design of small slot arrays," Antennas and Propagation, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 214-219, Mar. 1978. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.1978.1141814
- X.-B. Xu, Y. Huang, "An efficient analysis of vertical dipole antennas above a lossy half-space," Progress in Electromagnetics Research, vol. 74, pp. 353-377, 2007. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIER07052202
- K. Sarabandi, M. D. Casciato, and I. S. Koh, "Efficient calculation of the fields of a dipole radiating above an impedance surface," Antennas and Propagation, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 50, no. 9, pp. 1222-1235, Sep. 2002.
- P. V. Nikitin, K. V. S. Rao, "Antennas and propagation in UHF RFID systems," 2008 IEEE Int. Conference on RFID, pp. 277-288, Apr. 2008.
- A NOVEL UHF RFID SLOT COUPLED METALLIC TAG ANTENNA FOR STEEL-BAR APPLICATIONS vol.46, 2014, https://doi.org/10.2528/PIERC13101101
- Artificial magnetic conductor loaded long-range passive RFID tag antenna mountable on metallic objects vol.50, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2013.2671
- Analysis of Flip Chip Bonding for Performance Stability of UHF RFID Tags vol.4, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1109/TCPMT.2014.2345614
Supported by : NIPA (National IT Industry Promotion Agency)