- Volume 25 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Effect of Eugenol and Cinnamaldehyde on the Growth Performance, Nutrient Digestibility, Blood Characteristics, Fecal Microbial Shedding and Fecal Noxious Gas Content in Growing Pigs
- Yan, L. (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University) ;
- Kim, I.H. (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University)
- 투고 : 2012.02.28
- 심사 : 2012.05.01
- 발행 : 2012.08.01
A 5-wk trial with 96 (
- AOAC. 2000. Official methods of analysis. 17th ed. Assoc. Off. Analysis Chemistry, Gaithersburg, MD, USA.
- Ao, X., L.Yan, T. X. Zhou, J. P. Wang, Q.W. Meng, H. J. Kim, J. H. Cho and I. H. Kim. 2011. Effects of Saururus chinensis extract supplementation on growth performance, meat quality and slurry noxious gas emission in finishing pigs. Livest. Sci. 138: 187-192. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2010.12.029
- Cho, J. H., Y. J. Chen, B. J. Min, H. J. Kim, O. S. Kwon, K. S. Shon, I. H. Kim, S. J. Kim and A. Asamer. 2006. Effects of essential oils supplementation on growth performance, IgG concentration and fecal noxious gas concentration of weaned pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:80-85.
- Craveiro, A. A., A. G. Fernandes, C. H. S. Andrade, F. J. A. Matos and J. W. Alencar. 1977. Oleos essenciais de canelas silvestres regionais. Cienc. Cult. (SaoPaulo), 29:455.
- Ferket, P. R., E. van Heugten, T. A. T. G. van Kempen and R. Angel. 2002. Nutritional strategies to reduce environmental emissions from nonruminants. J. Anim. Sci. 80(E. Suppl. 2): E168-E182.
- Fenton, T. W. and M. Fenton. 1979. An improved method for chromic oxide determination in feed and feces. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 59:631-634. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas79-081
- Huang, Y., J. S. Yoo, H. J. Kim, Y. Wang, Y. J. Chen, J. H. Cho and I. H. Kim. 2010. Effects of dietary supplementation with blended essential oils on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood profiles and fecal characteristics in weanling pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 23:607-613. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.80120
- Insoft, R. M., I. R. Sanderson and W. A. Walker. 2005. Development of immune function in the intestine and its role in neonatal diseases. Pediatr. Clin. North Am. 43:551-571.
- Michael de, V. and P. R. Marteau. 2007. Probiotics and prebiotics: effects on diarrhea. J. Nutr. 137:803-811.
- Michiels, J., J. Missotten, N. Dierick, D. Fremaut and S. De Smet. 2005. Antimicrobial activity of selected phytochemicals against the pig gutflora. Commun. Agric. Appl. Biol. Sci. 70:191-194.
- Michiels, J., J. A. M. Missotten, D. Fremaut, S. De Smet and N. A. Dierick. 2007. In vitro dose-response of carvacrol, thymol, engenol and trans-cinnamaldehyde and interaction of combinations for the antimicrobial activity against the pig gut flora. Livest. Sci. 109:157-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.01.132
- Michiels, J., J. A. M. Missotten, D. Fremaut, S. De Smet and N. A. Dierick. 2009. In vitro characterization of the antimicrobial activity of selected essential oil components and binary combinations against the pigs gut flora. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 151:111-127. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2009.01.004
- Nousiainen, J. and J. Setala. 1993. Lactic acid bacteria as animal probiotics. In: Lactic Acid Bacteria (Ed. S. Salminen and A. von Wright). Marcel Dekker, Inc, New York, USA.
- NPPC. 1991. Procedures to evaluate market hogs. National Pork Production Council, Des Moines, IA, USA.
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient requirement of pigs (10th Ed.) National Research Council, Academy Press. Washington, DC, USA.
- Ooi, L. S., Y. Li, S. L. Kam, H. Wang, E. Y. Wong and V. E. Ooi. 2006. Antimicrobial activities of cinnamon oil and cinnamaldehyde from the Chinese medicinal herb Cinnamomum cassia Blume. Am. J. Chin. Med. 34:511-522. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0192415X06004041
- Varel, V. H. and D. L. Miller. 2004. Eugenol stimulates lactate accumulation yet inhibits volatile fatty acid production and eliminates coliform bacteria in cattle and swine waste. J. Appl. Microbiol. 97:1001-1005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2004.02386.x
- Visek, W. J. 1978. The mode of growth promotion by antibiotics. J. Anim. Sci. 1:86-95.
- Wang, Q., H. J. Kim, J. H. Cho, Y. J. Chen, J. S. Yoo, B. J. Min, Y. Wang and I. H. Kim. 2008. Effects of phytogenic substances on growth performance, digestibility of nutrients, fecal noxious gas content, blood and milk characteristics and reproduction in sows and litter performance. J. Anim. Feed. Sci. 17:50-60.
- Wang, Y., Y. J. Chen, J. H. Cho, J. S. Yoo, Q. Wang, Y. Huang, H. J. Kim and I. H. Kim. 2007. The effects of dietary herbs and coral mineral complex on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood characteristics and meat quality in finishing pigs. J. Anim. Feed. Sci. 16:397-407.
- Wenk, C. 2003. Herbs and botanicals as feed additives in monogastric animals. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:282-289. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2003.282
- Windisch, W., K. Schedle, C. Plitzner and A. Kroismayer. 2008. Use of phytogenetic products as feed additives for swine and poultry. J. Anim. Sci. 86:E140-E148.
- Yan, L., J. P. Wang, H. J. Kim, Q. W. Meng, X. Ao, S. M. Hong and I. H. Kim. 2010. Influence of essential oil supplementation and diets with different nutrient densities on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood characteristics, meat quality and fecal noxious gas content in grower-finisher pigs. Livest. Sci. 128:115-122. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2009.11.008
- Yan, L., Q. W. Meng and I. H. Kim. 2011a.The effect of an herb extract mixture on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood characteristics and fecal noxious gas content in growing pigs. Livest. Sci. 141:143-147. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2011.05.011
- Yan, L., Q. W. Meng and I. H. Kim. 2011b. The effects of dietary Houttuynia cordata and Taraxacum officinale extract powder on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood characteristics and meat quality in finishing pigs. Livest. Sci. 141:188-193. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2011.05.017
- Yan, L., Q. W. Meng and I. H. Kim. 2012. Effect of an herb extract mixture on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood characteristic, and fecal microbial shedding in weaning pigs. Livest. Sci. 145:189-195. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2012.02.001
- Zahn, J. A., J. L. Hatfield, Y. S. Do, A. A. Dispirito, D. A. Laird and R. L. Pfeiffer. 1997. Characterization of volatile organic emissions and wastes from a swine production facility. J. Environ. Qual. 26:1687-1696.
- A Comparison of Diets Supplemented with a Feed Additive Containing Organic Acids, Cinnamaldehyde and a Permeabilizing Complex, or Zinc Oxide, on Post-Weaning Diarrhoea, Selected Bacterial Populations, Blood Measures and Performance in Weaned Pigs Experimentally Infected with Enterotoxigenic E. coli vol.5, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3390/ani5040403
- Efficacy of phytogenic feed additive on performance, production and health status of monogastric animals – a review vol.0, pp.0, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1515/aoas-2016-0079