- Volume 25 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Growth Performance, Meat Quality and Fatty Acid Metabolism Response of Growing Meat Rabbits to Dietary Linoleic Acid
- Li, R.G. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Shandong Agricultural University) ;
- Wang, X.P. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Shandong Agricultural University) ;
- Wang, C.Y. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Shandong Agricultural University) ;
- Ma, M.W. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Shandong Agricultural University) ;
- Li, F.C. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Shandong Agricultural University)
- Received : 2012.02.14
- Accepted : 2012.05.07
- Published : 2012.08.01
An experiment was conducted to determine the effects of different amounts of dietary linoleic acid (LA) on growth performance, serum biochemical traits, meat quality, fatty acids composition of muscle and liver, acetyl-CoA carboxylase (ACC) and carnitine palmitoyl transferase 1 (CPT 1) mRNA expression in the liver of 9 wks old to 13 wks old growing meat rabbits. One hundred and fifty 9 wks old meat rabbits were allocated to individual cages and randomly divided into five groups. Animals in each group were fed with a diet with the following LA addition concentrations: 0, 3, 6, 9 and 12 g/kg diet (as-fed basis) and LA concentrations were 0.84, 1.21, 1.34, 1.61 and 1.80% in the diet, respectively. The results showed as follows: the dietary LA levels significantly affected muscle color of LL included
Growing Meat Rabbit;Linoleic Acid;Growth Performance;Meat Quality;Fatty Acid;mRNA Expression
Supported by : Modern Agro-industry Technology
- Ahluwalia, B., G. Pincus and R. T. Holman. 1967. Essential fatty acid deficiency and its effects upon reproductive organs of male rabbits. J. Nutr. 92:205-214.
- Bianchi, M., M. Petracci and C. Cavani. 2006. Effects of dietary inclusion of dehydrated lucerne and whole linseed on rabbit meat quality. World Rabbit Sci. 14:247-258.
- Bianchi, M., M. Petracci and C. Cavani. 2009. The influence of linseed on rabbit meat quality. World Rabbit Sci. 17:97-107.
Bing, R., A. Thelen and D. B. Jump. 1996. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor
$\alpha$inhibits hepatic s14 gene transcription evidence against the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor $\alpha$as the mediator of polyunsaturated fatty acid regulation of s14 gene transcription. J. Biol. Chem. 271: 17167-17173. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.271.29.17167
- Blasco, A. and J. Ouhayoun. 1993. Harmonization of criteria and terminology in rabbit meat research. Revised proposal. World Rabbit Sci. 4:93-99.
- Borgman, R. F. 1964. Fatty acid composition as influenced by dietary fatty acids and vitamin E status in the rabbit. J. Food Sci. 29:20-24. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1964.tb01686.x
- Cavani, C., M. Petracci, A. Trocino and G. Xicatto. 2009. Advances in research on poultry and rabbit meat quality. Ital. J. Anim. Sci. 8 (Suppl. 2):741-750.
- Chatelain, F., C. Kohl, V. Esser, J. Denis Mcgarry, J. Girard and J. P. Pegorier. 1996. Cyclic AMP and fatty acids increase carnitine palmitoyltransferase 1 gene transcription in cultured fetal rat hepatocytes. Eur. J. Biochem. 235:789-798. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1432-1033.1996.00789.x
- Cobos, A., L. de la Hoz, M. I. Cambero and J. A. Ordonez. 1995. Sugar-beet pulp as an alternative ingredient of barley in rabbit diets and its effect on rabbit meat. Meat Sci. 39:113-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(95)80012-3
- Corino, C., J. Mourot, S. Magni, G. Pastorelli and F. Rosi. 2002. Influence of dietary conjugated linoleic acid on growth, meat quality, lipogenesis, plasma leptin and physiological variables of lipid metabolism in rabbits. J. Anim. Sci. 80:1020-1028.
- Corino, C., F. Filetti, M. Gambacorta, A. Manchisi, S. Magni, G. Pastorelli, R. Rossi and G. Maiorano. 2003. Influence of dietary conjugated linoleic acids (CLA) and age at slaughtering on meat quality and intramuscular collagen in rabbits. Meat Sci. 66:97-103.
- Crespo, N. and E. Esteve-Garcia. 2003. Polyunsaturated fatty acids reduce insulin and very low-density lipoprotein levels in broiler chickens. Poult. Sci. 82:1134-1139. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/82.7.1134
Dal Bosco, A., C. Castellini, L. Bianchi and C. Mugnai. 2004. Effect of dietary
$\alpha$-linolenic acid and vitamin E on the fatty acid composition, storage stability and sensory traits of rabbit meat. Meat Sci. 66:407-413. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(03)00127-X
- Datte Zotte, A. 2002. Perception of rabbit meat quality and major factors influencing the rabbit carcass and meat quality. Livest. Prod. Sci. 75:11-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(01)00308-6
- Dalle Zotte, A. and Z. Szendro. 2011. The role of rabbit meat as functional food. Meat Sci. 88:319-331. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2011.02.017
- de Blas, C. and G. G. Mateos. 1998. Feed formulation. In: The Nutrition of the Rabbit (Ed. C. de Blas and J. Wiseman). CABI Publishing, New York, NY, USA, pp. 241-253.
- Folch, J., M. Lees and G. H. Sloane Stanley. 1957. A simple method for isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226:497-509.
- German, J. B. 1990. Muscle lipids. J. Muscle Foods 1:339-361. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4573.1990.tb00372.x
- Gomez-Londe, M. S., D. Menoyo, S. Chamorro, C. J. Lopez-Bote, P. Garcia-Rebollar and J. C. de Blas. 2006. Conjugated linoleic acid content in coecotrophes, suparenal and intramuscular fat in rabbit fed commercial diets. World Rabbit Sci. 14:95-99.
- Gondret, F., J. Mourot, F. Lebas and M. Bonneau. 1998. Effects of dietary fatty acids on lipogenesis and lipid traits in muscle, adipose tissue and liver of growing rabbits. Anim. Sci. 66: 483-489. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1357729800009656
- Kouba, M., F. Benatmane, J. E. Blochet and J. Mourot. 2008. Effect of a linseed diet on lipid oxidation, fatty acid composition of muscle, perirenal fat, and raw and cooked rabbit meat. Meat Sci. 80:829-834. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2008.03.029
- Lee, K. N., D. Kritchevsky and M. W. Pariza. 1994. Conjugated linoleic acid and atherosclerosis in rabbits. Atherosclerosis 1: 19-25.
Lopez-Bote, C., A. I. Rey, M. Sanz, I. Gray and J. Buckley. 1997. Dietary vegetable oils and
$\alpha$-tocopherol reduce lipid oxidation in rabbit muscle. J. Nutr. 127:1176-1182.
- Newman, R. E., W. L. Bryden, E. Fleck, J. R. Ashes, W. A. Buttemer and L. H. Storlien. 2002. Dietary n-3 and n-6 fatty acids alter avian metabolism and abdominal fat deposition. Br. J. Nutr. 88:11-18. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN2002580
- NRC. 1977. Nutrient Requirements of Domestic Animals, No.9. Nutrient requirements of rabbits. Second Revised Ed. National Academy of Sciences-National Research Council, Washington, DC, USA.
- Oliver, M. A., L. Guerrero, I. Diaz, M. Gispert, M. Pla and A. Blasco. 1997. The effect of fat-enriched diets on the perirenal fat quality and sensory characterstics of meat from rabbit. Meat Sci. 47:95-103. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(97)00041-7
- Ouhayoun, J. and A. Dalle Zotte. 1996. Harmonization of muscle and meat criteria in rabbit meat research. World Rabbit Sci. 4: 211-218.
- Peiretti, P. G. and G. Meineri. 2008. Effects on growth performance, carcass characteristics, and the fat and meat fatty acid profile of rabbits fed diets with chia (Salvia hispanica L.) seed supplements. Meat Sci. 80:1116-1121. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2008.05.003
- SAS, 1985. Users guide: Basics. SAS Institute, Cary, NC, USA.
- Simopoulos, A. P. 2008. The importance of the omega-6/omega-3 fatty acid ratio in cardiovascular disease and other chronic diseases. Exp. Biol. Med. 233:674-688. https://doi.org/10.3181/0711-MR-311
Tres, A., R. Bou, R. Codony and F. Guardiola. 2008. Influence of dietary doses of n-3- or n-6-rich vegetable fats and
$\alpha$-tocopheryl acetate supplementation on raw and cooked rabbit meat composition and oxidative stability. Agric. Food Chem. 56:7243-7253. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf800736w
- Xiccato, G. 1999. Feeding and meat quality in rabbits: a review. World Rabbit Sci. 7:75-86.
- Yahagi, N., H. Shimano, A. H. Hasty, M. Amemiya-Kudo, H. Okazaki, Y. H. Tamura, F. Shionoiri, K. Ohashi, J. Osuga, K. Harada, T. Gotoda, R. Nagai, S. Ishibashi and N. Yamada. 1999. A crucial role of sterol regulatory element-binding protein-1 in the regulation of lipogenic gene expression by polyunsaturated fatty acids. J. Biol. Chem. 274:35840-35844. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.274.50.35840
- Brandt, 1869) vol.30, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/jai.12601
- Activity of Selected Antioxidant Enzymes, Selenium Content and Fatty Acid Composition in the Liver of the Brown Hare (Lepus europaeus L.) in Relation to the Season of the Year vol.168, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12011-015-0385-5