- Volume 25 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Nutritional and Hormonal Induction of Fatty Liver Syndrome and Effects of Dietary Lipotropic Factors in Egg-type Male Chicks
- Choi, Y.I. (College of Animal Bioscience and Technology, Konkuk University) ;
- Ahn, H.J. (College of Animal Bioscience and Technology, Konkuk University) ;
- Lee, B.K. (College of Animal Bioscience and Technology, Konkuk University) ;
- Oh, S.T. (College of Animal Bioscience and Technology, Konkuk University) ;
- An, B.K. (College of Animal Bioscience and Technology, Konkuk University) ;
- Kang, C.W. (College of Animal Bioscience and Technology, Konkuk University)
- 투고 : 2011.11.10
- 심사 : 2012.05.02
- 발행 : 2012.08.01
This experiment was conducted with male chicks to investigate the influence of hormones and nutrients on the development of fatty liver syndrome (FLS) as well as the effects of dietary lipotropic factors on hepatic fat accumulation and lipogenic enzyme gene expression. A total of two-hundred sixteen 4-wk-old Hy-Line male chicks were divided into six groups and fed an experimental diet (T1, low-energy diet with low levels of lipotropic factors; T2, high-energy diet with low levels of lipotropic factors; T3 and T5, low-energy diet with high levels of lipotropic factors; T4 and T6, high-energy diet with high levels of lipotropic factors) for six weeks. The chicks in T5 and T6 groups were treated with intramuscular injections of estradiol benzoate for three days prior to biopsy and clinical analysis of FLS. Chicks treated with estrogen had significantly greater liver weights than untreated chicks. The abdominal fat contents were increased in chicks consuming high-energy diets as compared to those consuming low-energy diets. Treatment with estrogen significantly increased the concentrations of serum cholesterol, triacylglycerol and phospholipid (p<0.05). The hepatic triacylglycerol levels were tenfold higher in the estrogen treated chicks than in the untreated chicks. There were no significant differences in malondialdehyde levels between the treatment groups. Estrogen treatment dramatically increased the levels of fatty acid synthetase, acetyl-CoA carboxylase and ApoB mRNA. The results indicated that treatment with exogenous estrogen in growing male chicks induced hepatic fat accumulation, which might be partially due to increased lipogenic enzyme gene expression.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Konkuk University
- Akiba, Y., K. Takahashi, M. Kimura, S. I. Hirama and T. Matsumoto. 1983. The influence of environmental temperature, thyroid status and a synthetic oestrogen on the induction of fatty livers in chicks. Br. Poult. Sci. 24:71-80. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071668308416715
- Akiba, Y., L. S. Jensen, C. R. Barb and R. R. Kraeling. 1982. Plasma estradiol, thyroid hormones and liver lipid content in laying hens fed different isocaloric diets. J. Nutr. 112:299-308.
- An, B. K., H. Nishiyama, K. Tanaka, S. Ohtani, T. Iwata, K. Tsutsumi and M. Kasai. 1997. Dietary safflower phospholipid reduces liver lipids in laying hens. Poult. Sci. 76:689-695. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/76.5.689
- Balnave, D., D. J. Farrell, J. B. Wolfenden and R. B. Cumming. 1978. The effect of ovariectomy on liver metabolism and maintenance energy requirement of hens. Br. Poult. Sci. 19:583-590. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071667808416517
- Botsoglou, N. A., D. J. Fletouris, G. E. Papageorgiou, V. N. Vassilopoulos, A. J. Mantis and A. G. Trakatellis. 1994. Rapid, sensitive, and specific thiobarbituric acid method for measuring lipid peroxidation in animal tissue, food, and feedstuff samples. J. Agric. Food Chem. 42:1931-1937. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00045a019
- Butler, E. J. 1976. Fatty liver diseases in the domestic fowl. a review. Avian Pathol. 5:1-14. https://doi.org/10.1080/03079457608418164
- Chen, S. E., D. W. Long, K. E. Nestor, R. L. Walzem, V. L. Meuniot, H. Zhu, R. J. Hansen and W. L. Bacon. 1999. Effect of divergent selection for total plasma phosphorus on plasma and yolk very low density lipoproteins and plasma concentrations of selected hormones in laying Japanese quail. Poult. Sci. 78:1241-1251. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/78.9.1241
- Chomczynski, P. and N. Sacchi. 1987. Single-step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidinium thiocyanate-phenol-chloroform extraction. Anal. Biochem. 162:156-159.
- Couch, J. R. 1956. Fatty livers in laying hens - a condition which may occur as a result of increased strain. Feedstuffs 28:46.
- Courtney, S., S. Talbot and R. Manning. 1988. Early effects of oestrogen treatment on lipogenesis de novo and on biosynthesis of triacylglycerol from fatty acids in male chick liver. Int. J. Biochem. 20:73-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-711X(88)90013-4
- Dashti, N., J. L. Kelly, R. H. Thayer and J. A. Ontko. 1983. Concurrent inductions of avian hepatic lipogenesis, plasma lipids, and plasma apolipoprotein B by estrogen. J. Lipid Res. 24:368-380.
- Deaton, J. W. and B. D. Lott. 1985. Age and dietary energy effect on broiler abdominal fat deposition. Poult. Sci. 64:2161-2164. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0642161
- Deaton, J. W., J. L. McNaughion and B. D. Lott. 1983. The effect of dietary energy level and broiler body weight on abdominal fat. Poult. Sci. 62:2394-2397. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0622394
- Duncan, D. B. 1955. Multiple range and multiple F test. Biometrics 11:1-4. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- Folch, J., M. Lees and G. H. Sloane-Stanley. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissue. J. Biol. Chem. 226:497-509.
- Girard, J., D. Perdereau, F. Foufelle, C. Prip-buus and P. Ferre. 1994. Regulation of lipogenic enzyme gene expression by nutrients and hormones. FASEB J. 8:36-42.
- Hansen, R. J. and R. L. Walzem. 1993. Avian fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome: a comparative review. Adv. Vet. Sci. Comp. Med. 37:451-468.
- Hermier, D., D. Catheline and P. Legrand. 1996. Relationship between hepatic fatty acid desaturation and lipid secretion in the estrogenized chicken. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. A. 115:259-264. https://doi.org/10.1016/0300-9629(96)00057-6
- Hill, F. W., L. B. Carew Jr. and A. Van Tienhoven. 1958. Effect of diethylstilbestrol on utilization of energy by the growing chick. Am. J. Physiol. 195:654-658.
- Ivy, C. A. and M. C. Nesheim. 1973. Factors influencing the liver fat content of laying hens. Poult. Sci. 52:281-291. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0520281
- Jensen, L. S., J. M. Casey, S. I. Savage and W. M. Britton. 1976. An association of hardness of water with incidence of fatty liver syndrome in laying hens. Poult. Sci. 55:719-724. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0550719
- Jones, R. L. and J. Wiseman. 1985. Effect of nutrition on broiler carcass composition: influence of dietary energy content in the starter and finisher phases. Br. Poult. Sci. 26:381-388. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071668508416826
- Lumeij, J. T. 1997. Avian clinical biochemistry. In: Clinical Biochemistry of Domestic Animals (Ed. J. J. Kanebo, J. W. Harvey and M. L. Bruss, 5th) Academic Press san diego. pp. 857-883.
- Manning, R., S. Courtney and S. Talbot. 1989. Temporal changes in plasma and liver lipids and in the hepatic activities of acetyl-coenzyme a carboxylase and fatty acid synthetase after oestrogen treatment of the male chicken (Gallus domesticus). Int. J. Biochem. 21:517-523. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-711X(89)90131-6
- NRC. 1994. Nutrient requirements of poultry. 9th ed. National Academy Press. Washington DC, USA.
- Polin, D. and J. H. Wolford. 1976. Various types of diets, sources of energy and positive energy balance in the induction of fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome. Poult. Sci. 55:325-334. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0550325
- Polin, D. and J. H. Wolford. 1977. Role of estrogen as a cause of fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome. J. Nutr. 107:873-886.
- Rinella, M. E., M. S. Elias, R. R. Smolak, T. Fu, J. Borensztajn and R. M. Green. 2008. Mechanism of hepatic steatosis in mice fed a lipogenic methionine choline-deficient diet. J. Lipid Res. 49:1068-1076. https://doi.org/10.1194/jlr.M800042-JLR200
- Roland, D. A., M. Farmer and D. Marple. 1985. Calcium and its relationship to excess feed consumption, body weight, egg size, fat deposition, shell quality, and fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome. Poult. Sci. 64:2341-2350. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0642341
- Rosebrough, R., J. McMurtry and N. Steele. 1989. Dietary propylthiouracil and 17 -estradiol benzoate implant effects on liver carbohydrate and lipid metabolism in chicks. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. B. 92:659-665. https://doi.org/10.1016/0305-0491(89)90246-0
- SAS. 2002. SAS user's guide. Statistics, Version 8. e., SAS Institute. Inc. Cary, NC, USA.
- So, H. H., E. O. Jeon, S. H. Byun and I. P. Mo. 2009. Early diagnosis of fatty liver-hemorrhagic syndrome using blood biochemistry in commercial layers. Korean J. Poult. Sci. 36:165-175. https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2009.36.2.165
- Squires, E. J. and S. Leeson. 1988. Aetiology of fatty liver syndrome in laying hens. Br. Vet. J. 144:602-609. https://doi.org/10.1016/0007-1935(88)90031-0
- Tarlow, D. M., P. A. Watkins, R. E. Reed, R. S. Miller, E. E. Zwergel and D. Lane. 1977. Lipogenesis and the synthesis and secretion of very low density lipoprotein by avian liver cells in nonproliferating monolayer culture. Hormonal effects. J. Cell Biol. 73:332-353. https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.73.2.332
- Wolf, G. 1996. Nutritional and hormonal regulation of fatty acid synthase. Nutr. Rev. 317:122-123.
- Wolford, J. H. and D. Polin. 1975. Effect of inositol, lecithin, euvitamins B12 with choline and E, and iodinated casein on induced fatty liver-hemorrhagic syndrome in laying chickens. Poult. Sci. 54:981-991. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0540981
- Improving effect of dietary soybean phospholipids supplement on hepatic and serum indexes relevant to fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome in laying hens vol.88, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12832
- Abnormal histopathology, fat percent and hepatic apolipoprotein A I and apolipoprotein B100 mRNA expression in fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome and their improvement by soybean lecithin vol.96, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3382/ps/pex163
- Meat quality characteristics of chickens as influenced by housing system, sex, and genetic line interactions pp.1828-051X, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/1828051X.2017.1363639
- The effect of lipotropic agents on the nutritional induction of fatty liver syndrome in broilers pp.1618-565X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00580-018-2860-9
- Effects of a high energy and low protein diet on hepatic and plasma characteristics and Cidea and Cidec mRNA expression in liver and adipose tissue of laying hens with fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome vol.90, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.13140