- Volume 25 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Effect of Ground Corn Cob Replacement for Cassava Chip on Feed Intake, Rumen Fermentation and Urinary Derivatives in Swamp Buffaloes
- Wanapat, M. (Tropical Feed Resources Research and Development Center (TROFREC), Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Pilajun, R. (Tropical Feed Resources Research and Development Center (TROFREC), Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Kang, S. (Tropical Feed Resources Research and Development Center (TROFREC), Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Setyaningsih, K. (Tropical Feed Resources Research and Development Center (TROFREC), Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Setyawan, A.R. (Tropical Feed Resources Research and Development Center (TROFREC), Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Khon Kaen University)
- 투고 : 2012.02.28
- 심사 : 2012.05.07
- 발행 : 2012.08.01
Four Thai - rumen fistulated male swamp buffaloes (Bubalus bubalis), about four years old with
Corn Cob;Cassava Chip;Rumen Ecology;Purine Derivatives;Swamp Buffalo;Rice Straw
- AOAC. 1995. Official method of analysis, 16th ed. Animal Feeds: Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Virginia, USA, pp. 1-18.
- Broderick, G. A. and N. R. Merchen. 1992. Markers for quantifying microbial protein synthesis in the rumen. J. Dairy Sci. 75:2618-2632. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(92)78024-2
- Cetinkaya, N., S. Yaman and N. H. O. Baber. 2006. The use of purine derivatives/ creatinine ratio in spot urine samples as an index of microbial protein supply in Yerli Kara crossbred cattle. Livest. Sci. 100:91-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livprodsci.2005.07.004
- Chanthakhoun, V. and M. Wanapat. 2012. The in vitro gas production and ruminal fermentation of various feeding using rumen liquor from swamp buffalo and cattle. Asian J. Anim. Vet. Adv. 7:54-60. https://doi.org/10.3923/ajava.2012.54.60
- Chen, X. B. and M. J. Gomes. 1995. Estimation of microbial protein supply to sheep and cattle based on urinary excretion of purine derivatives-an overview of the technical details. Occasional Publication 1992. International Feed Resources Unit, Rowett Research Institude, Aberdeen, United Kingdom. pp. 21-25.
- Chen, X. B., D. J. Kyle and E. R. Orskov. 1993. Measurement of allantoin in urine and plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography with pre-column derivatization. J. Chromatogr. 617:241-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-4347(93)80494-O
- Chizzotti, M. L., S. C. V. Filho, R. F. D. Valadares, F. H. M. Chizzotti and L. O. Tedeschi. 2008. Determination of creatinine excretion and evaluation of spot urine sampling in Holstein cattle. Livest. Sci. 113:218-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.03.013
- Chen, X. B., M. C. N. Jayasuriya and H. P. S. Makkar. 2004. Measurement and application of purine derivatives:creatinine ratio in spot urine samples of ruminants. In: Estimation of Microbial Protein Supply in Ruminants Using Urinary Purine Derivatives (Ed. H. P. S. Makkar and X. B. Chen), Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht. pp. 167-179.
- Dennis, S. M., M. J. Arambel, E. E. Bartle and A. D. Dayton. 1983. Effect of energy concentration and source of nitrogen on numbers and types of rumen protozoa. J. Dairy Sci. 66:1248-1254. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(83)81931-6
- Depies, K. K. and L. E. Armentano. 1995. Partial replacement of alfalfa fiber with fiber from ground corn cobs or wheat middlings. J. Dairy Sci. 78:1328-1335. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(95)76754-6
- Dewhurst, R. J., D. R. Davies and R. J. Merry. 2000. Microbial protein supply from the rumen. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 85: 1-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(00)00139-5
- Fries, G. F., C. A. Lassiter, D. M. Steath and J. W. Rust. 1955. A preliminary report on the value of corn cobs and cottonseed hulls for growing dairy heifers. J. Anim. Sci. 14:1203-1210.
- Galyean, M. 1989. Laboratory Procedure in Animal Nutrition Research. Department of Animal and Life Science. New Mexico State University, USA. p. 187.
- Han, S. O., H. Yukawa, M. Inui and R. H. Doi. 2003. Regulation of expression of cellulosomal cellulase and hemicellulase genes in Clostridium cellulovorans. J. Bacteriol. 185:6067-6075. https://doi.org/10.1128/JB.185.20.6067-6075.2003
- Hawk, P. B., B. L. Oser and W. H. Summerson. 1976. Prac. Physiol. Chem., 14th ed. McGraw Hill Publishing Company Ltd., London.
- Hobson, P. N. 1969. Continuous culture of some anaerobic and facutatively anaerobic rumen bacteria. J. Gen. Microbiol. 38: 80-167.
- Hungate, R. E. 1966. The rumen and its microbes. Academic Press. New York and London. p. 533.
- Hungate, R. E. 1969. A roll tube method for cultivation of strict anaerobes. In: Methods in Microbiology, edited by Norris (Ed. J. R. Norris and D. W. Ribbons), New York. Academic. pp. 313-117.
- IAEA. 1997. Determination of purine derivative in urine. In: Estimation of the rumen microbial protein production from purine derivatives in rumen. Animal Production and Health Section. Vienna, Austria. p. 49.
- Khampa, S., M. Wanapat, C. Wachirapakorn, N. Nontaso and M. Wattiaux. 2006. Effects of urea level and sodium DL-malate in concentrate containing high cassava chip on ruminal fermentation efficiency, microbial protein synthesis in lactating dairy cows raised under tropical condition. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:837-844. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.837
- Kiyothong, K. and M. Wanapat. 2004. Growth, hay yield and chemical composition of cassava and Stylo 184 grown under intercropping. Aisan-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:799-807. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.799
- Peyton, S. C. and H. R. Conrad. 1982. Corncobs as energy with urea nitrogen in dairy rations. J. Dairy Sci. 65:1465-1471. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(82)82369-2
- Pimpa, O., J. B. Liang, J. Balcells, Z. A. Jelan and N. Abdullah. 2003. Urinary purine derivative excretion in swamp buffaloes after duodenal purine base infusion. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 104:191-199. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(02)00329-2
- Promkot, C. and M. Wanapat. 2005. Effect of level of crude protein and use of cottonseed meal in diets containing cassava chips and rice straw for lactating dairy cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18:502-511. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.502
- Russell, J. B. and J. L. Rychlik. 2001. Factors that alter rumen microbial ecology. Science 292:1119-1122. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1058830
- Samuel, M., S. Sagathewan, J. Thomas and G. Mathen. 1997. An HPLC method for estimation of volatile fatty acids of ruminal fluid. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 67:805-807.
- SAS. 1996. User's guide: Statistic, Version 5. Edition. SAS. Inst Cary, NC, USA.
- Siddons, R. C., J. Paradine, D. E. Beever and P. R. Cornell. 1985. Ytterbium acetate as a particulate-phase digesta-flow marker. Br. J. Nutr. 54:509-520. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19850136
- Singh, M., K. Sharma, N. Dutta, P. Singh, A. K. Verma and U. R. Mehra. 2007. Estimation of rumen microbial protein supply using urinary purine derivatives excretion in crossbred calves fed at different levels of feed intake. J. Anim. Sci. 20:1567-1574.
- Thanh, Vo Thi Kim and E. R. Orskov. 2006. Causes of differences in urinary excretion of purine derivatives in buffaloes and cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 82:355-358.
- Valadares, R. F. D., G. A. Broderick, S. C. Valadares and M. K. Clayton. 1999. Effect of replacing alfalfa silage with high moisture corn on ruminal protein synthesis estimated from excretion of total purine derivatives. J. Dairy Sci. 82:2686-2696. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(99)75525-6
- Van Soest, P. J. 1965. Symposium on factors influencing the voluntary intake of herbage by ruminants-voluntary intake in relation to chemical composition and digestibility. J. Anim. Sci. 24:834-843.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods of dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber and non-starch carbohydrates in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Wanapat, M. 1999. Feeding of ruminants in the tropics based on local feed resources, (Khon Kaen Publishing Company Ltd., Khon Kaen, Thailand).
- Wanapat, M. 2000. Rumen manipulation to increase the efficiency use of local feed resources and productivity of ruminants in tropics. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13(Suppl.):59-67.
- Wanapat, M. and O. Pimpa. 1999. Effect of ruminal NH3-N levels on ruminal fermentation, purine derivatives, digestibility and rice straw intake in swamp buffaloes. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 12:904-907. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1999.904
- Wanapat, M. and P. Rowlinson. 2007. Nutrition and feeding of swamp buffalo: feed resources and rumen approach. Italian J. Anim. Sci. 6:67-73.
- Wanapat, M. and S. Khampa. 2007. Effect of levels of supplementation of concentrate containing high levels of cassava chip on rumen ecology, microbial N supply and digestibility of nutrients in beef cattle. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 20:75-81.
- Wanapat, M., N. Nontaso, C. Yuangklang, S. Wora-anu, A. Ngarmsang, C. Wachirapakorn and P. Rowlinson. 2003. Comparative study between swamp buffalo and native cattle in feed digestibility and potential transfer of buffalo rumen digesta into cattle. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:504-510. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2003.504
- Wanapat, M., R. Pilajun and P. Kongmun. 2009a. Ruminal ecology of swamp buffalo as influenced by dietary sources. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 151:205-214. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2009.01.017
- Wanapat, M., S. Polyorach, K. Boonnop, C. Mapato and A. Cherdthong. 2009b. Effects of treating rice straw with urea or urea and calcium hydroxide upon intake, digestibility, rumen fermentation and milk yield of dairy cows. Livest. Sci. 125: 238-243. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2009.05.001
- Changes of rumen pH, fermentation and microbial population as influenced by different ratios of roughage (rice straw) to concentrate in dairy steers vol.152, pp.04, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859613000658