- Volume 25 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Tissues Expression, Polymorphisms Identification of FcRn Gene and Its Relationship with Serum Classical Swine Fever Virus Antibody Level in Pigs
- Liu, Yang ;
- Wang, Chonglong ;
- Liu, Zhengzhu ;
- Xu, Jingen ;
- Fu, Weixuan ;
- Wang, Wenwen ;
- Ding, Xiangdong ;
- Liu, Jianfeng ;
- Zhang, Qin
- Received : 2012.01.08
- Accepted : 2012.05.17
- Published : 2012.08.01
Neonatal Fc receptor (FcRn) gene encodes a receptor that binds the Fc region of monomeric immunoglobulin G (IgG) and is responsible for IgG transport and stabilization. In this report, the 8,900 bp porcine FcRn genomic DNA structure was identified and putative FcRn protein included 356 amino acids. Alignment and phylogenetic analysis of the porcine FcRn amino acid sequences with their homologies of other species showed high identity. Tissues expression of FcRn mRNA was detected by real time quantitative polymerase chain reaction (Q-PCR), the results revealed FcRn expressed widely in ten analyzed tissues. One single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) (HQ026019:g.8526 C>T) in exon6 region of porcine FcRn gene was demonstrated by DNA sequencing analysis. A further analysis of SNP genotypes associated with serum Classical Swine Fever Virus antibody (anti-CSFV) concentration was performed in three pig populations including Large White, Landrace and Songliao Black pig (a Chinese indigenous breed). Our results of statistical analysis showed that the SNP had a highly significant association with the level of anti-CSFV antibody (At d 20; At d 35) in serum (p = 0.008; p = 0.0001). Investigation of expression and polymorphisms of the porcine FcRn gene will help us in further understanding the molecular basis of the antibody regulation pathway in the porcine immune response. All these results indicate that FcRn gene might be regarded as a molecular marker for genetic selection of anti-CSFV antibody level in pig disease resistance breeding programmes.
- Borvak, J., J. Richardson, C. Medesan, F. Antohe, C. Radu, M. Simionescu, V. Ghetie and E. S. Ward. 1998. Functional expression of the MHC class I-related receptor, FcRn, in endothelial cells of mice. Int. Immunol. 10:1289-1298. https://doi.org/10.1093/intimm/10.9.1289
- Brambell, F. 1966. The transmission of immunity from mother to young and the catabolism of immunoglobulins. The Lancet 2: 1087-1093.
- Capon, F., M. H. Allen, M. Ameen, A. D. Burden, D. Tillman, J. N. Barker and R. C. Trembath. 2004. A synonymous SNP of the corneodesmosin gene leads to increased mRNA stability and demonstrates association with psoriasis across diverse ethnic groups. Hum. Mol. Genet. 13:2361-2368. https://doi.org/10.1093/hmg/ddh273
- Dong, X. N. and Y. H. Chen. 2007. Marker vaccine strategies and candidate CSFV marker vaccines. Vaccine 25:205-230. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2006.07.033
- Hinton, P. R., M. G. Johlfs, J. M. Xiong, K. Hanestad, K. C. Ong, C. Bullock, S. Keller, M. T. Tang, J. Y. Tso and M. Vásquez. 2004. Engineered human IgG antibodies with longer serum half-lives in primates. J. Biol. Chem. 279:6213-6216.
- Hinton, P. R., J. M. Xiong, M .G. Johlfs, M. T. Tang, S. Keller and N. Tsurushita. 2006. An engineered human IgG1 antibody with longer serum half-life. J. Immunol. 176:346-356. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.176.1.346
- Israel, E., S. Taylor, Z. Wu, E. Mizoguchi, R. Blumberg, A. Bhan and N. Simister. 1997. Expression of the neonatal Fc receptor, FcRn, on human intestinal epithelial cells. Immunology 92: 69-74. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2567.1997.00326.x
- Jones, E. A. and T. A. Waldmann. 1972. The mechanism of intestinal uptake and transcellular transport of IgG in the neonatal rat. J. Clin. Invest. 51:2916-2927. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI107116
- Kamei, D. T., B. J. Lao, M. S. Ricci, R. Deshpande, H. Xu, B. Tidor and D. A. Lauffenburger. 2005. Quantitative methods for developing Fc mutants with extended half‐lives. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 92:748-760. https://doi.org/10.1002/bit.20624
- Kimchi-Sarfaty, C., J. M. Oh, I. W. Kim, Z. E. Sauna, A. M. Calcagno, S. V. Ambudkar and M. M. Gottesman. 2007. A" silent" polymorphism in the MDR1 gene changes substrate specificity. Science 315:525-528. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1135308
- Mayer, B., Z. Kis, G. Kajan, L. V. Frenyo, L. Hammarstrom and I. Kacskovics. 2004. The neonatal Fc receptor (FcRn) is expressed in the bovine lung. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 98:85-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetimm.2003.10.010
- McCarthy, K. M., Y. Yoong and N. E. Simister. 2000. Bidirectional transcytosis of IgG by the rat neonatal Fc receptor expressed in a rat kidney cell line: a system to study protein transport across epithelia. J. Cell Sci. 113:1277-1285.
Morphis, L. G. and D. Gitlin. 1970. Maturation of the maternofoetal transport system for human
$\gamma$-globulin in the mouse. Nature 228:573.
- Petkova, S. B., S. Akilesh, T. J. Sproule, G. J. Christianson, H. Al. Khabbaz, A. C. Brown, L. G. Presta, Y. G. Meng and D. C. Roopenian. 2006. Enhanced half-life of genetically engineered human IgG1 antibodies in a humanized FcRn mouse model: potential application in humorally mediated autoimmune disease. Int. Immunol. 18:1759-1769. https://doi.org/10.1093/intimm/dxl110
- Praetor, A., I. Ellinger and W. Hunziker. 1999. Intracellular traffic of the MHC class I-like IgG Fc receptor, FcRn, expressed in epithelial MDCK cells. J. Cell Sci. 112:2291-2299.
- Raghavan, M. and P. J. Bjorkman. 1996. Fc receptors and their interactions with immunoglobulins. Annu. Rev. Cell Dev. Biol. 12:181-220. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.cellbio.12.1.181
- Roberts, D. M., M. Guenthert and R. Rodewald. 1990. Isolation and characterization of the Fc receptor from the fetal yolk sac of the rat. J. Cell Biol. 111:1867-1876. https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.111.5.1867
- Roopenian, D. C. and S. Akilesh. 2007. FcRn: the neonatal Fc receptor comes of age. Nat. Rev. Immunol. 7:715-725. https://doi.org/10.1038/nri2155
- Roopenian, D. C., G. J. Christianson, T. J. Sproule, A. C. Brown, S. Akilesh, N. Jung, S. Petkova, L. Avanessian, E. Y. Choi and D. J. Shaffer. 2003. The MHC class I-like IgG receptor controls perinatal IgG transport, IgG homeostasis, and fate of IgG-Fc-coupled drugs. J. Immunol. 170:3528-3533. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.170.7.3528
- Sambrook, J., E. F. Fritsch and T. Maniatis. 1989. Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual, 2nd edn. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, New York, USA.
- Shah, U., B. L. Dickinson, R. S. Blumberg, N. E. Simister, W. I. Lencer and W. A. Walker. 2003. Distribution of the IgG Fc receptor, FcRn, in the human fetal intestine. Pediatr. Res. 53: 295-301. https://doi.org/10.1203/00006450-200302000-00015
Shields, R. L., A. K. Namenuk, K. Hong, Y. G. Meng, J. Rae, J. Briggs, D. Xie, J. Lai, A. Stadlen and B. Li. 2001. High resolution mapping of the binding site on human IgG1 for Fc
$\gamma$RI, Fc $\gamma$RII, Fc $\gamma$RIII, and FcRn and design of IgG1 variants with improved binding to the Fc $\gamma$R. J. Biol. Chem. 276:6591-6604. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M009483200
- Simister, N., I. E. Jacobowitz, J. Ahouse and C. Story. 1997. New functions of the MHC class I-related Fc receptor, FcRn. Biochem. Soc. Trans. 25:481-486.
- Simister, N. E. and K. E. Mostov. 1989. An Fc receptor structurally related to MHC class I antigens. Nature 337:184-187. https://doi.org/10.1038/337184a0
- Spiekermann, G. M., P. W. Finn, E. S. Ward, J. Dumont, B. L. Dickinson, R. S. Blumberg and W. I. Lencer. 2002. Receptor-mediated immunoglobulin G transport across mucosal barriers in adult life. J. Exp. Med. 196:303-310. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.20020400
- Vaccaro, C., J. Zhou, R. J. Ober and E. S. Ward. 2005. Engineering the Fc region of immunoglobulin G to modulate in vivo antibody levels. Nat. Biotechnol. 23:1283-1288.
- Ward, E. S., J. Zhou, V. Ghetie and R. J. Ober. 2003. Evidence to support the cellular mechanism involved in serum IgG homeostasis in humans. Int. Immunol. 15:187-195. https://doi.org/10.1093/intimm/dxg018
Supported by : China Postdoctoral Science Foundation