- Volume 25 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Effects of Growth Hormone Gene Polymorphism on Lipogenic Gene Expression Levels in Diaphragm Tissues of Japanese Black Heifers
- Ardiyanti, Astrid (Department of Animal Physiology, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University) ;
- Abe, Tsuyoshi (National Livestock Breeding Center) ;
- Tameoka, Nanae (National Livestock Breeding Center) ;
- Kobayashi, Eiji (National Livestock Breeding Center) ;
- Shoji, Noriaki (Yamagata General Agricultural Research Center) ;
- Ohtani, Yoshihisa (Department of Animal Physiology, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University) ;
- Suzuki, Keiichi (Department of Animal Breeding and Genetics, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University) ;
- Roh, Sang-Gun (Department of Animal Physiology, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University) ;
- Katoh, Kazuo (Department of Animal Physiology, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University)
- Received : 2012.01.13
- Accepted : 2012.05.01
- Published : 2012.08.01
Two SNPs, i.e. L127V and T172M, of bovine growth hormone (GH) causing the presence of GH gene haplotypes A, B, and C was previously shown to alter intramuscular fatty acid (FA) composition in Japanese Black (JB) heifers. To determine the SNP effect on somatotropic hormone concentration and lipogenesis, we measured plasma GH, insulin, and insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) concentrations. We also measured mRNA levels of fatty acid synthase (FASN), stearoyl-coA desaturase (SCD), and sterol regulatory element binding proteins-1 (SREBP-1) and FA composition in diaphragm tissues. Heifers with genotype CC had the lowest plasma insulin concentration and FASN and SCD mRNA levels among genotypes. FASN mRNA levels in haplotype A tended to positively correlate with saturated FA (SFA) content and negatively correlated with C18:2 and unsaturated FA (USFA) contents. SCD mRNA levels in haplotype A positively correlated with monounsaturated FA (MUFA) contents and negatively correlated with C18:0 content. They also tended to positively correlate with C16:1, C18:1, and USFA contents and USFA/SFA ratio and negatively correlate with SFA content. Taken together, GH gene polymorphism affects the lipogenic genes expression levels and their relationships with fatty acid compositions in diaphragm tissues of JB heifers at 31 months of age.
- Ardiyanti, A., F. Abe, H. Kobashikawa, T. Hirayama, T. Sugino, K. Suzuki and K. Katoh. 2009a. Plasma hormone and metabolite concentrations involved in the somatotropic axis of Japanese Black heifers in association with growth hormone gene polymorphism. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol. 37:243-249. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.domaniend.2009.07.002
- Ardiyanti, A., Y. Oki, Y. Suda, K. Suzuki, K. Chikuni, Y. Obara and K. Katoh. 2009b. Effects of GH gene polymorphism and sex on carcass traits and fatty acid compositions in Japanese Black cattle. Anim. Sci. J. 80:62-69. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2008.00594.x
- Beswick, N. S. and J. J. Kennelly. 2000. Influence of bovine growth hormone and growth hormone-releasing factor on messenger RNA abundance of lipoprotein lipase and stearoyl-CoA desaturase in the bovine mammary gland and adipose tissue. J. Anim. Sci. 78:412-419.
- Chikuni, K., R. Tanabe, S. Muroya, Y. Fukumoto and S. Ozawa. 1997. A simple method for genotyping the bovine growth hormone gene. Anim. Genet. 28:230-232. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.1997.00095.x
- Chirala, S. and S. Wakil. 2004. Structure and function of animal fatty acid synthase. Lipids 39:1045-1053. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11745-004-1329-9
- Daniel, Z. C. T. R., S. E. Richards, A. M. Salter and P. J. Buttery. 2004. Insulin and dexamethasone regulate stearoyl-CoA desaturase mRNA levels and fatty acid synthesis in ovine adipose tissue explants. J. Anim. Sci. 82:231-237.
- Dominici, F. P., D. P. Argentino, M. C. Muñoz, J. G. Miquet, A. I. Sotelo and D. Turyn. 2005. Influence of the crosstalk between growth hormone and insulin signalling on the modulation of insulin sensitivity. Growth Horm. IGF Res. 15:324-336. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ghir.2005.07.001
- Etherton, T. D. and D. E. Bauman. 1998. Biology of somatotropin in growth and lactation of domestic animals. Physiol. Rev. 78:745-761.
- Feng, J., Z. Gu, M. Wu, F. C. Gwazdauskas and H. Jiang. 2009. Growth hormone stimulation of serum insulin concentration in cattle: Nutritional dependency and potential mechanisms. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol. 37:84-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.domaniend.2009.03.003
- Hogan, J. C. and J. M. Stephens. 2005. The regulation of fatty acid synthase by STAT5A. Diabetes 54:1968-1975. https://doi.org/10.2337/diabetes.54.7.1968
- Katoh, K., S. Kouno, A. Okazaki, K. Suzuki and Y. Obara. 2008. Interaction of GH polymorphism with body weight and endocrine functions in JB calves. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol. 34:25-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.domaniend.2006.10.003
- Keating, A. F., J. J. Kennelly and F. Q. Zhao. 2006. Characterization and regulation of the bovine stearoyl-CoA desaturase gene promoter. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 344:233-240. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2006.03.133
- Kuhara, T., S. Ikeda, A. Ohneda and Y. Sasaki. 1991. Effects of intravenous infusion of 17 amino acids on the secretion of GH, glucagon, and insulin in sheep. Am. J. Physiol. 260:E21-E26.
- Latasa, M. J., Y. S. Moon, K. H. Kim and H. S. Sul. 2000. Nutritional regulation of the fatty acid synthase promoter in vivo: Sterol regulatory element binding protein functions through an upstream region containing a sterol regulatory element. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 97:10619-10624. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.180306597
- Louveau, I. and F. Gondret. 2004. GH and insulin affect fatty acid synthase activity in isolated porcine adipocytes in culture without any modifications of sterol regulatory element binding protein-1 expression. J. Endocrinol. 181:271-280. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1810271
- Ntambi, J. M. 1995. The regulation of stearoyl-CoA desaturase (SCD). Prog. Lipid Res. 34:39-50.
- Shimano, H. 2001. Sterol regulatory element-binding proteins (SREBPs): transcriptional regulators of lipid synthetic genes. Prog. Lipid Res. 40:439-452. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0163-7827(01)00010-8
- Smith, S. B., D. K Lunt, K. Y. Chung, C. B. Choi, R. K. Tume and M. Zembayashi. 2006. Adiposity, fatty acid composition, and delta-9 desaturase activity during growth in beef cattle. Anim. Sci. J. 77:478-486. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2006.00375.x
- Taniguchi, M., T. Utsugi, K. Oyama, H. Mannen, M. Kobayashi, Y. Tanabe, A. Ogino and S. Tsuji. 2004. Genotype of stearoyl-coA desaturase is associated with fatty acid composition in JB cattle. Mamm. Genome 15:142-148. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00335-003-2286-8
- Yin, D., S. D. Clarke, J. L. Peters and T. D. Etherton. 1998. Somatotropin-dependent decrease in fatty acid synthase mRNA abundance in 3T3-F442A adipocytes is the result of a decrease in both gene transcription and mRNA stability. Biochem. J. 331(Pt 3):815-820.
- Identification of Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms (SNPs) of the Bovine Growth Hormone (bGH) Gene Associated with Growth and Carcass Traits in Hanwoo vol.26, pp.10, 1970, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2013.13248
- ) gene in Japanese Black cattle: Structure of GH protein and a novel method for detection of the gene vol.84, pp.12, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12132
- Single Nucleotide Polymorphism in the Coding Region of Bovine Chemerin Gene and Their Associations with Carcass Traits in Japanese Black Cattle vol.28, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.14.0560