- Volume 25 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Cytokines Expression and Nitric Oxide Production under Induced Infection to Salmonella Typhimurium in Chicken Lines Divergently Selected for Cutaneous Hypersensitivity
- Singh, Rani (Disease Genetics and Biotechnology Laboratory, Central Avian Research Institute) ;
- Jain, Preeti (Disease Genetics and Biotechnology Laboratory, Central Avian Research Institute) ;
- Pandey, N.K. (Disease Genetics and Biotechnology Laboratory, Central Avian Research Institute) ;
- Saxena, V.K. (Disease Genetics and Biotechnology Laboratory, Central Avian Research Institute) ;
- Saxena, M. (Disease Genetics and Biotechnology Laboratory, Central Avian Research Institute) ;
- Singh, K.B. (Department of Animal Science, M. J. P. Rohilkhand University) ;
- Ahmed, K.A. (Disease Genetics and Biotechnology Laboratory, Central Avian Research Institute) ;
- Singh, R.P. (Disease Genetics and Biotechnology Laboratory, Central Avian Research Institute)
- Received : 2011.09.09
- Accepted : 2011.12.28
- Published : 2012.07.01
In the present study, the impact of Salmonella Typhimurium on cell-mediated immunity (CMI) was investigated in 5 week-old immuno divergent broiler lines selected for the high and low response to phytohemagglutinin-P. The immune response was assessed in peripheral-blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) induced with Salmonella Typhimurium at different time intervals (0 h, 0.5 h, 2 h, 4 h, 6 h, 12 h and 24 h). The differential mRNA expression patterns of IFN-
Supported by : Ministry of Science and Technology of the Government of India
- Berndt, A. and U. Methner. 2001. Gamma/delta T cell response of chickens after oral administration of attenuated and non-attenuated Salmonella typhimurium strains. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 78:143-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-2427(00)00264-6
- Cheeseman, J. H., M. G. Kaiser, C. Ciraci, P. Kaiser and S. J. Lamont. 2007. Breed effect on early cytokine mRNA expression in spleen and cecum of chickens with and without Salmonella enteritidis infection. Dev. Comp. Immunol. 31:52-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dci.2006.04.001
- Cheng, S. and S. J. Lamont. 1988. Breeding and genetic analysis of immunocompetence in White Leghorn chicken line. Poult. Sci. 67:989-995. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0670989
- Dil, N. and M. A. Qureshi. 2002. Involvement of lipopolysaccharide related receptors and nuclear factor Kappa-B in differential expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase in chicken macrophages from different genetic backgrounds. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 88:149-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-2427(02)00153-8
- Djeraba, A., N. Bernarder, G. Dambrine and P. Quere. 2000. Nitric oxide inhibits Marek's disease virus replication but is not single decisive factor in interferon gamma mediated viral inhibition. Virology 277:223-234.
- Djeraba, A., E. Musset, N. Bernarder, Y. L. Vern and P. Quere. 2002. Similar pattern of iNOS expression, NO production and cytokine response in genetic and vaccination acquired resistance to Marek's disease. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 85:63-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-2427(01)00412-3
- Goldsby, R. A., T. J. Kindt and B. A. Osborne. 2003. Immunology. In: Freeman and Company (Ed. W. H. Freeman), New York.
- Hangalapura, B. N., M. G. Kaiser, J. J. Poel, H. K. Parmentier and S. J. Lamont. 2006. Cold stress equally enhances in vivo pro-inflammatory cytokine gene expression in chicken lines divergently selected for antibody responses. Dev. Comp. Immunol. 30:503-511. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dci.2005.07.001
- Harvey, W. R. 1975. Least squares analysis of data with unequal subclass frequencies. USDA Agric. Res. Services. ARS. H-4: 157.
- Hussain, I. and M. A. Quereshi. 1997. Nitric oxide synthase activity and mRNA expression in chicken macrophages. Poult. Sci. 76:1524-1530. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/76.11.1524
- Hussain, I. and M. A. Quereshi. 1998. The expression and regulation of inducible nitric oxide synthase gene differ in macrophages from chickens of different genetic background. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 61:317-329. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-2427(97)00153-0
- Imanishi. 2004. Basis and clinical applications of interferon. Journal of the Japan Medical Association 47:7-12.
- Ahmed, K. A., V. K. Saxena, A. Ara, K. B. Singh, N. R. Sundaresan, M. Saxena and T. J. Rasool. 2007. Immune response to Newcastle disease virus in chicken lines divergently selected for cutaneous hypersensitivity. Int. J. Immunogenet. 34:445-455. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-313X.2007.00722.x
- Kaiser, P., L. Rothwell, E. E. Galyov, P. A. Barrow, J. Burnside and P. Wigley. 2000. Differential cytokine expression in avian cells in response to invasion by Salmonella typhimurium, Salmonella enteritidis and Salmonella gallinarum. Microbiology 146:3217-3226.
- Kogut, M., L. Rothwell and P. Kaiser. 2002. Differential effects of age on chicken heterophil functional activation by recombinant chicken interleukin-2. Dev. Comp. Immunol. 26:817-830. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0145-305X(02)00040-X
- Lamont, S. J. 1998. Impact of genetics on disease resistance. Poult. Sci. 77:1111-1118. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/77.8.1111
- Lillehoj, H. S. and G. Li. 2004. Nitric oxide production by macrophages stimulated with Coccidia sporozoites, lipopolysaccharide, or interferon-gamma, and its dynamic changes in SC and TK strains of chickens infected with Eimeria tenella. Avian. Dis. 48:244. https://doi.org/10.1637/7054
- Lillehoj, H. S., W. Min and R. A. Dalloul. 2004. Recent progress on the cytokine regulation of intestinal immune responses to Eimeria. Poult. Sci. 83:611-623. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/83.4.611
- Macmicking, J., Q. W. Xie and C. Nathan. 1997. Nitric oxide and macrophage function. Annu. Rev. Immunol. 15:323-350. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.immunol.15.1.323
- Sadeyen, J. R., J. Trotereau, J. Protais, C. Beaumont, N. Sellier, G. Salvat, P. Velge and A. C. Lalmanach. 2006. Salmonella carrier-state in hens: study of host resistance by a gene expression approach. Microbes Infect. 8:1308-1314. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.micinf.2005.12.014
- Sadeyen, J. R., J. Trotereau, P. Velge, J. Marly, C. Beaumont, P. A. Barrow, N. Bumstead and A. C. Lalmanach. 2004. Salmonella carrier state in chicken: comparison of expression of immune response genes between susceptible and resistant animals. Microbes Infect. 6:1278-1286. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.micinf.2004.07.005
- Sarker, N., M. Tsudzuki, M. Nishibori, H. Yasue and Y. Yamamoto. 2000. Cell-mediated and humoral immunity and phagocytic ability in chicken lines divergently selected for serum immunoglobulin M and G levels. Poult. Sci. 79:1705-1709. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/79.12.1705
- Sastry, K. V. H., R. P. Moudgal, J. Mohan, J. S. Tyagi and G. S. Rao. 2002. Spectrophotometric determination of serum nitrite and nitrate by copper-cadmium alloy. Anal. Biochem. 306:79-82. https://doi.org/10.1006/abio.2002.5676
- Sundaresan, N. R., K. A. Ahmed, V. K. Saxena, K. V. H. Sastry, M. Saxena, A. B. Pramod, M. Nath, K. B. Singh, T. J. Rasool, A. K. Devroy and R. V. Singh. 2005. Differential expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase and cytokine mRNA in chicken lines divergent for cutaneous hypersensitivity response. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 108:373-385. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetimm.2005.06.011
- Swaggerty, C. L., M. H. Kogut, P. J. Ferro, L. Rothwell, I. Y. Pevzner and P. Kaiser. 2004. Differential cytokine mRNA expression in heterophils isolated from Salmonella-resistant and -susceptible chickens. Immunology 113:139-148.
- Van Hemert, S., A. J. Hoekman, M. A. Smits and J. M. Rebel. 2007. Immunological and gene expression responses to a Salmonella infection in the chicken intestine. Vet. Res. 38:51-63. https://doi.org/10.1051/vetres:2006048
- Wigley, P., S. Hulme, L. Rothwell, N. Bumstead, P. Kaiser and P. Barrow. 2006. Macrophages isolated from chickens genetically resistant or susceptible to systemic salmonellosis show magnitudinal and temporal differential expression of cytokines and chemokines following Salmonella enterica challenge. Infect. Immun. 74:1425-1430. https://doi.org/10.1128/IAI.74.2.1425-1430.2006
- Withanage, G. S. K., P. Mastroeni, H. J. Brooks, D. J. Maskell and I. Mcconnell. 2005. Oxidative and nitrosative responses of the chicken macrophage cell line MQ-NCSU to experimental Salmonella infection. Br. Poult. Sci. 46:261-267. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071660500098608
- Zhang-Barber, L., A. K. Turner and P. A. Barrow. 1999. Vaccination for control of Salmonella in poultry. Vaccine 17:2538-2545. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0264-410X(99)00060-2
- Differential protein expression in chicken macrophages and heterophils in vivo following infection with Salmonella Enteritidis vol.48, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13567-017-0439-0