- Volume 25 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Effects of Processing of Starter Diets on Performance, Nutrient Digestibility, Rumen Biochemical Parameters and Body Measurements of Brown Swiss Dairy Calves
- Nejad, J. Ghassemi ;
- Torbatinejad, N. ;
- Naserian, A.A. ;
- Kumar, S. ;
- Kim, J.D. ;
- Song, Y.H. ;
- Ra, C.S. ;
- Sung, K.I.
- Received : 2011.12.01
- Accepted : 2012.04.16
- Published : 2012.07.01
In order to investigate the effect of physical forms of starter diets on performance, weaning age, nutrient digestibility and rumen biochemical factors, 24 female of neonatal Brown Swiss calves (average body weight of
Brown Swiss Calves;Mash;Processing;Pellet;Starter Diet;Texture
- Abdelgadir, I. E. O. and J. L. Morrill. 1995. Effect of processing sorghum grain on dairy calf performance. J. Dairy Sci. 78:2040-2046. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(95)76829-1
- Aldrich, J. M., L. D. Muller, G. A. Varga and L. C. Griel Jr. 1993. Nonstructural carbohydrate and protein effects on rumen fermentation, nutrient flow, and performance of dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 76:1091-1105. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(93)77438-X
- Anderson, M. J., M. Khoyloo and J. L. Walters. 1982. Effect of feeding whole cottonseed on intake, body weight, and reticulorumen development of young Holstein calves. J. Dairy Sci. 65:764-772. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(82)82265-0
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists (AOAC). 1990. 13th edition. Pubic. By AOAC, P.O.B. Box 54, Washington, DC, USA.
- Bach, A., A. Gimenez, J. L. Juaristi and J. Ahedo. 2007. Effects of physical form of a starter for dairy replacement calves on feed intake and performance. J. Dairy Sci. 90:3028-3033. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2006-761
- Bateman, H. G., T. M. Hill, J. M. Aldrich and R. L. Schlotterbeck. 2009. Effects of corn processing, particle size, and diet form on performance of calves in bedded pens. J. Dairy Sci. 92:782-789. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-1242
- Beauchemin, K. A., W. Z., Yang and L. M. Rode. 2001. Effects of barley grain processing on the site and extent of digestion of beef feedlot finishing diets. J. Anim. Sci. 79:1925-1936.
- Beharka, A. A., T. G. Nagaraja, J. L. Morrill, G. A. Kennedy and R. D. Klemm. 1998. Effects of form of the diet on anatomical, microbial, and fermentative development of the rumen of neonatal calves. J. Dairy Sci. 81:1946-1955. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(98)75768-6
- Bradshow, W. L., D. D. Hinman, R. C. Bull, D. O. Everson and S. J. Sorensen. 1996. Effects of barley variety and processing methods on feedlot steer performance and carcass characteristics. J. Anim. Sci. 74:18-24.
- Bull, L. S., L. J. Bush, J. D. Friend, B. Harris Jr. and E. W. Jones. 1965. Incidence of ruminal parakeratosis in calves fed different rations and its relation to volatile fatty acid absorption. J. Dairy Sci. 48:1459-1466. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(65)88499-5
- Chester-Jones, H. and D. M. Ziegler. 1994. Feeding whole or rolled corn with pelleted supplement to Holstein steers from weaning to 190 Kilograms. J. Dairy Sci. 74:1765-1771.
- Church, D. C. 1986. Livestock feeds and feeding, second edition, Prentice Hall, Inc. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey. p. 549.
- Coverdale, J. A., H. D. Tyler, J. D. Quigley and J. A. Brumm. 2004. Effect of various levels of forage and form of diet on rumen development and growth in calves. J. Dairy Sci. 87:2554-2562. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(04)73380-9
- Crocker, L. M., E. J. DePeters, J. G. Fadel, H. Perez-Monti, S. J. Taylor, J. A. Wyckoff and R. A. Zinn. 1998. Influence of processed corn grain in diets of dairy cows on digestion of nutrients and milk composition. J. Dairy Sci. 81:2394-2407. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(98)70131-6
- Franklin, S. T., D. M. Amaral-Phillips, J. A. Jackson and A. A. Campbell. 2003. Health and performance of Holstein calves that suckled or were hand-fed colostrum and were fed one of three physical forms of starter. J. Dairy Sci. 86:2145-2150. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)73804-1
- Gardner, R. W. 1967. Acceptability and nutritional response comparisons between calf starters. J. Dairy Sci. 50:729-734. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(67)87502-7
- Grimson, R. E., R. D. Wiesenberger, J. A. Basarab and R. P. Stillborn. 1987. Effects of barley volume weight and processing method on feedlot performance of finishing steers. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 67:43-53. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas87-006
- Hibbs, J. W., H. R. Conrad, W. D. Pounden and N. Frank. 1956. Ahigh roughage system for raising calves based on early development of rumen function. VI. Influence of hay to grain ration on calf performance, rumen development, and certain blood changes. J. Dairy Sci. 39:171-179. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(56)94724-5
- Hinders, R. G. and F. G. Owen. 1965. Relation of ruminal parakeratosis development to volatile fatty acid absorption. J. Dairy Sci. 48:1069-1073. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(65)88393-X
- Joy, M. T., E. J. DePeters, J. G. Fadel and R. A. Zinn. 1997. Effects of corn processing on the site and extent of digestion in lactating cows. J. Dairy Sci. 80:2087-2097. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(97)76154-X
- Kertz, A. F. 2007. Letter to the editor: Pelleted calf starter with straw access can confound results: A comment on Bach et al. (2007). J. Dairy Sci. 90:4924. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2007-0435
- Kertz, A. F., L. R. Prewitt and J. P. Everett Jr. 1979. An early weaning calf program: Summarization and review. J. Dairy Sci. 62:1835-1843. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(79)83508-0
- Kincaid, R. L. 1980. Alternate methods of feeding alfalfa to calves. J. Dairy Sci. 63:91-94. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(80)82892-X
- Knowlton, K. F., B. P. Glenn and R. A. Erdman. 1998. Performance, ruminal fermentation, and site of starch digestion in early lactation cows fed corn grain harvested and processed differently. J. Dairy Sci. 81:1972-1984. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(98)75771-6
- Lassiter, C. A., T. W. Denton, L. D. Brown and J. W. Rust. 1955. The nutritional merits of pelleting calf starters. J. Dairy Sci. 38:1242-1245. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(55)95102-X
- Leibholz, J. 1975. Ground roughage in the diet of the early-weaned calf. Anim. Prod. 20:93-100. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100035042
- Lesmeister, K. B. and A. J. Heinrichs. 2005. Effects of adding extra molasses to a texturized calf starter on rumen development, growth characteristics, and blood parameters in neonatal dairy calves. J. Dairy Sci. 88:411-418. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72702-8
- Mathison, G. W., R. Hironka, B. K. Kerrigan, I. Vlach, I. P. Milligan and R. D. Weisengurger. 1997. Rate of starch degradation, apparent digestibility and rate and efficiency of steer gain as influenced by barley grain volume weight and processing method. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 71:867-878.
- Murphy, T. A., F. L. Fluharty and S. C. Loerch. 1994. The influence of intake level andcorn processing on digestibility and ruminal metabolism in steers fed allconcentrate diets. J. Anim. Sci. 72:1608-1615.
- Owen, F. G. and L. L. Larson. 1986. Effect of probiocin and starter preparation on calf performance. Coop. Ext. Ser. Univ. Nebr. 1986:36-37.
- Porter, J. C., R. G. Warner and A. F. Kertz. 2007. Effect of fiber level and physical form of starter on growth and development of dairy calves fed no forage. Prof. Anim. Sci. 23:395-400.
- Rooney, L. W. and R. L. Pflugfelder. 1986. Factors affecting starch digestibility with special emphasis on sorghum and corn. J. Anim. Sci. 63:1607-1623.
- Russell, J. B., C. J. Sniffen and P. J. Van Soest. 1983. Effects of carbohydrate limitation on degradation and utilization of casein by mixed rumen bacteria. J. Dairy Sci. 66:763-775. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(83)81856-6
- Samanta, A. K., K. K. Singh, M. M. Das, S. B. Maity and S. S. Kundu. 2003. Effect of complete feed block on nutrient, utilization and rumen fermentation in Barbari goats. Small Rumin. Res. 48:95-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(02)00262-6
- SAS. 1999. SAS/STAT user's guide (Version 8.01 Edition). SAS Inst. Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1967. Statistical Methods (6th Ed.). Iowa State Univ. Press, Ames.
- Stobo, I. J. F., C. S. Lucci, J. H. B. Roy and M. W. Perfitt. 1985. Comparison of high-energy pellets containing processed fibre with a coarse concentrate mixture in relation to the development of solid food intake in the calf. Anim. Prod. 40:570.
- Thomas, D. B. and C. E. Hinks. 1982. The effect of changing the physical form of roughage on the performance of the early-weaned calf. J. Anim. Prod. 35:375-384. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100001069
- Warner, R. G. 1991. Nutritional factors affecting the development of a functional ruminant-A historical perspective. Proc. Cornell Nutr. Conf., 1-12. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University.
- Warner, R. G., J. C. Proter and S. T. Slack. 1973. Calf starter formulation for neonatal calves fed no hay. Proc. Cornell Nutr. Cornell University, Ithaca.
- Whitaker, R. T., W. J. Miller, J. L. Carmon and H. L. Dalton. 1957. Influence of level and source of crude fiber in calf starters on weight and feed consumption. J. Dairy Sci. 40:887-892. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(57)94571-X
- Yu, P., J. T. Huber, F. A. P. Santos, J. M. Simas and C. B. Theurer. 1998. Effects of ground, steam-flaked, and steam-rolled corn grains on performance of lactating cows. J. Dairy Sci. 81:777-783. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(98)75634-6
- Effects of different forage sources as a free-choice provision on the performance, nutrient digestibility, selected blood metabolites and structural growth of Holstein dairy calves vol.101, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12527
- Effects of physical form of starter and forage provision to young calves on blood metabolites, liver composition and intestinal morphology vol.101, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12485
- Fatty acid profile of meat, diurnal changes in volatile fatty acids, rumen fluid parameters, and growth performance in Korean native (Hanwoo) steers fed high- and low-forage diets supplemented with chromium-methionine vol.45, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1590/S1806-92902016000800009
- Effects of forage provision to dairy calves on growth performance and rumen fermentation: A meta-analysis and meta-regression vol.100, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2016-11561
- Growth performance, feeding behavior, and selected blood metabolites of Holstein dairy calves fed restricted amounts of milk: No interactions between sources of finely ground grain and forage provision vol.100, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2016-11592
- Effects of feeding milk replacer at 2 rates with pelleted, low-starch or texturized, high-starch starters on calf performance and digestion vol.101, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2017-13851
- Interaction between the physical forms of starter and forage source on growth performance and blood metabolites of Holstein dairy calves vol.101, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2017-13892