- Volume 25 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Yerba Mate (Ilex paraguarensis) Supplementation on the Productive Performance of Dorper Ewes and Their Progeny
- Po, Eleonora ;
- Xu, Ziqian ;
- Celi, Pietro
- Received : 2012.01.14
- Accepted : 2012.04.19
- Published : 2012.07.01
Yerba Mate (Ilex paraguariensis), a tea known for its high antioxidant content, was supplemented to 30 of 60 ewes for 13 wks to assess its effect on their productive performance. A 2.5% inclusion rate of Yerba Mate (YM) in a pelleted concentrate diet decreased feed intake and live weight (LW) during the first few weeks post partum (p<0.001). Overall, the YM group ate less (
- Bracesco, N., M. Dell, A. Rocha, S. Behtash, T. Menini, A. Gugliucci and E. Nunes. 2003. Antioxidant activity of a botanical extract preparation of ilex paraguariensis: Prevention of DNA double-strand breaks in Saccharomyces cerevisiae and human low-density lipoprotein oxidation. J. Altern. Complement. Med. 9:379-387. https://doi.org/10.1089/107555303765551606
- Bracesco, N., A. G. Sanchez, V. Contreras, T. Menini and A. Gugliucci. 2011. Recent advances on Ilex paraguariensis research: Minireview. J. Ethnopharmacol. 136:378-384. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2010.06.032
- Celi, P., A. Adriana Di Trana, S. Claps and P. Di Gregorio. 2008a. Effects of perinatal nutrition on metabolic and hormonal profiles of goat kids (Capra hircus) during their first day of life. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 21:1585-1591. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2008.80109
- Celi, P., A. Di Trana and S. Claps. 2008b. Effects of perinatal nutrition on lactational performance, metabolic and hormonal profiles of dairy goats and respective kids. Small Rumin. Res. 79:129-136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2008.07.010
- Celi, P. and D. R. Bush. 2010. Pregnancy, lambing and survival. In: International Sheep and Wool handbook (Ed. D. Cottle), Nottingham University Press, pp. 223-257.
- Celi, P. and H. W. Raadsma. 2009. The effects of Yerba Mate (Ilex paraguarensis) supplementation on the productive performance of lambs. Ruminant Physiology. Digestion, metabolism, and effects of nutrition on reproduction and welfare. Proceeding of the XIth International Symposium in Ruminant Physiology, Clermont-Ferrand, France, pp. 804-805.
- Celi, P. and H. W. Raadsma. 2010. Effects of Yerba Mate (Ilex paraguariensis) supplementation on the productive performance of dairy cows during mid-lactation. Anim. Prod. Sci. 50:339-344. https://doi.org/10.1071/AN09170
- Celi, P. and A. Robinson. 2010. Effect of Yerba Mate (Ilex paraguariensis) supplementation on the performance of dairy calves. Anim. Prod. Sci. 50:376-381. https://doi.org/10.1071/AN09169
- Heck, C. I. and E. G. de Mejia. 2007. Yerba Mate tea (Ilex paraguariensis): A comprehensive review on chemistry, health implications, and technological considerations. J. Food Sci. 72: R138-R151. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2007.00535.x
- Kuhn, N. J. 1983. The biosynthesis of lactose. In: Biochemistry of lactation (Ed. T. M. Mepham), Amsterdam, Elsevier, pp. 159-176.
- Li, S. and R. R. Hacker. 1995. The effect of caffeine on mammary gland development and milk yield in primiparous sows. J. Anim. Sci. 73:534-540.
- Makkar, H. P. S., G. Francis and K. Becker. 2007. Bioactivity of phytochemicals in some lesser-known plants and their effects and potential applications in livestock and aquaculture production systems. Animal 1:1371-1391.
- Martin, G. B. and H. Kadokawa. 2006. "Clean, Green and Ethical" Animal Production. Case Study: Reproductive Efficiency in Small Ruminants. J. Reprod. Dev. 52:145-152. https://doi.org/10.1262/jrd.17086-2
- Muhlhausler, B. S., C. L. Adam, P. A. Findlay, J. A. Duffield and I. C. McMillen. 2006. Increased maternal nutrition alters development of the appetite-regulating network in the brain 10.1096/fj.05-5241fje. FASEB Journal 20, 1257-1259. https://doi.org/10.1096/fj.05-5241fje
- Patra, A. K. and J. Saxena. 2011. Exploitation of dietary tannins to improve rumen metabolism and ruminant nutrition. J. Sci. Food Agric. 91:24-37. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.4152
- Sheffield, L. G. 1991. Caffeine administered during pregnancy augments subsequent lactation in mice. J. Anim. Sci. 69:1128-1132.
- Strassmann, B. B., A. R. Vieira, E. L. Pedrotti, H. N. F. Morais, P. F. Dias and M. Maraschin. 2008. Quantitation of methylxanthinic alkaloids and phenolic compounds in mate (Ilex paraguariensis) and their effects on blood vessel formation in chick embryos. J. Agric. Food Chem. 56:8348-8353. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf801041f
- Wanapat, M., P. Kongmun, O. Poungchompu, A. Cherdthong, P. Khejornsart, R. Pilajun and S. Kaenpakdee (In Press). Effects of plants containing secondary compounds and plant oils on rumen fermentation and ecology. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 1-7.
- Wang, Y., G. B. Douglas, G. C. Waghorn, T. N. Barry, A. G. Foote and R. W. Purchas. 1996. Effect of condensed tannins upon the performance of lambs grazing Lotus corniculatus and lucerne (Medicago sativa). J. Agric. Sci. 126:87-98. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600088833
- Chemical Composition, Plant Secondary Metabolites, and Minerals of Green and Black Teas and the Effect of Different Tea-to-Water Ratios during Their Extraction on the Composition of Their Spent Leaves as Potential Additives for Ruminants vol.61, pp.20, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1021/jf4002439
- The Effect of Yerba Mate (Ilex Paraguariensis) Supplementation on Nutrient Degradability in Dairy Cows: An In sacco and In vitro Study vol.28, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0206
- Dietary Supplementation of Yerba Mate (Ilex paraguariensis) during the Dry Period Improves Redox Balance in Lactating Dairy Cows vol.8, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3390/antiox8020038
Supported by : University of Sydney