- Volume 12 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Viewers' Psychophysiological and Self-report Responses to 3D Stereoscopic Display
3D 영상의 입체성이 콘텐츠 특성에 따라 이용자의 심리적 반응에 미치는 효과 - 콘텐츠의 유인가와 각성도를 중심으로 -
- Received : 2012.05.11
- Accepted : 2012.06.04
- Published : 2012.06.28
There has been growing academic interest in revealing the effect of 3D stereoscopic displays, mostly based on the assumption that 3D would enhance the media user's psychological experiences. A 2(Display: 2D, 3D) x 2(Arousal: High, Low) x2(Valence: Positive, Negative) within-between subject experimental design, including both psychophysiological and self-report measurements, was employed to investigate if valence and arousal of the media content interact with the 3D stereo display. The results confirmed that 3D stereo significantly enhances the viewer's skin conductance level, while no meaningful difference for HR was found across the experimental conditions. The viewer's recall memory did not differ depending on the display type either. However, the viewer experienced a greater level of presence and liking of the content when the negative content was displayed in 3D stereo in comparison with the positive content. The practical implications of the results are further discussed.
3D Stereo Display;Valence;Arousal;Psychophysiological Responses;Presence
Supported by : 방송통신위원회
- C. C. Bracken, "Presence and image quality: The case of high-definition television," Media Psychology, Vol.7, pp.191-205, 2009.
- B. Reeves, B. Detenber, J. Steuer, "New televisions: The effects of big pictures and big sound on viewer responses to the screen," Paper presented to the Information Systems Division of the International Communication Association, Washington D. C, 1993.
- 권중문, 이상식, "프레젠스 결정요인에 대한 연구", 한국지역언론학회, 제7권, 제2호, pp.5-38, 2007.
- W. A. IJsselsteijin, H. de Ridder, J. Freeman, and S. E. Avons, "Presence: Concept, determinants and measurement," Proceedings of the SPIE, Human Vision and Electronic Imaging V, 3959-76, Presented at Photonics West-Human Vision and Electronic Imaging Vol.23, No.28, January 2000, San Jose, CA, 2000.
- M. Lombard, "Presence and television: The role of screen size," Human communication research, Vol.75, No.96, 2000.
- B. Reeves and C. Nass, "The media equation : How people treat computers, television, and new media like real people and places," Stanford, CA : CSU Publication, 1996.
- W. Ijsselsteijn, H. de Ridder, J. Freeman, S. E. Avons, and D. Bouwhuis, "Effects of Stereoscopic Presentation, Image Motion, and Screen Size on Subjective and Objective Corroborative Measures of Presence," Presence, Vol.10, No.3, pp.298-311, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1162/105474601300343621
- 조은정, 권상희, 조병철, "3D TV 영상의 장르별 프레젠스 인식 특성 연구", 한국방송학회, 제24권, 제4호, pp.253-292, 2010.
- 권혁인, 이현정, 박진완, "2D영상과 3D 입체영상에서의 액션 어드벤처 게임 몰입도 비교", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제11권, 제1호, pp157-164, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.1.157
- 금희조, "3D 입체영상의 효과: 영화 '아바타'의 실재감, 동일시 그리고 즐거움", 한국언론학회, 제54권, 제4호, pp.27-48, 2010.
- J. Takatalo, T. Kawai, J. Kaistinen, G. Nyman, and J. Hakkinen, Media Psychology, Vol.14, No.4, pp.387-414, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1080/15213269.2011.620538
- A. Lang, "The limited capacity model of mediated message processing," Journal of Communication, Vol.50, pp.46-70, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2466.2000.tb02833.x
- 유은아, 황인호, 이유선, 주희엽. "3D 입체영화의 만족에 관한 탐색적 연구", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제11권, 제3호, pp167-178, 2011.
- M. Bradley, M. Codispoti, B. N. Cuthbert, and P. J. Lang, "Emotion and Motivation I: Defensive and Appetitive Reaction in Picture Processing," Emotion, Vol.1, No.3, pp.276-298, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1037/1528-3522.214.171.1246
- L. L. Kaid and J. C. Tedesco, "Presidential candidate presentation: Videostyle in the 1996 presidential spots," In L. L. Kaid & D. G. Bystrom(Eds.), "The electronic election: Perspectives on the 1996 campaign communication," pp.209-221, Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum, 1999.
- P. J. Lang, M. M. Bradley, B. N. Cuthbert, "International Affective Picture System (IAPS)," Bethesda, MD: National Institute of Mental Health Center for the Study of Emotion and Attention, 1999.
- E. A. Kensinger and D. L. Schacter, "Reality monitoring and memory distortion: Effects of negative, arousing content," Memory & Cognition, Vol.34, No.2, pp.251-269, 2006. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193403
- 임소혜, "영상 콘텐츠의 사실성과 유인가가 수용자의 심리적 반응에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구: 생리심리적 반응을 중심으로", 한국방송학보, 제23권, 제5호, pp.339-379, 2009.
- P. J. Lang, "The emotion probe. Studies of motivation and attention," American Psychologist, Vol.50, pp.372-385, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.50.5.372
- W. Hubert, and R. de Jong-Meyer, Psychophysiological reponse patterns to positive and negative film stimuli, Biological Psychology, Vol.31, pp.73-93, 1990 https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-0511(90)90079-C
- Potter, "Perceptions of television: A schema," Media Psychology, Vol.4, No.1, pp.27-50, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1207/S1532785XMEP0401_02
- R. Rajae-Joordens and J. Engel, "Paired comparisons in visual perception studies using small smaple sizes," Accepted for publication in Displays, 2005.
- N. Ravaja, "Contributions of Psychophysiology to Media Research: Review and Recommendations," Media Psychology, Vol.6, No.2, pp.193-235, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1207/s1532785xmep0602_4
- E. Thorson, A. Lang, "Effects of television videographics and lecture familiarity on adult cardiac orienting responses and memory," Communication Research, Vol.20, pp.4-29, 1992.
- J. Robinson and D. Davis, "Comprehension of a single evening's news," Beverly Hills, CA: Sage, 1986.
- J. Lessiter, J. Freeman, E. Keogh, and J. Davidoff, "Development of a new cross-media presence questionnaire: The ITC Sense of Presence Inventory," Paper presented at the Third International Presence Workshop, Delft University of Technology, Delft, Netherlands, 2001.
- M. Hou, J. G. Hollands, A. Scipione, L. Magee, and M. Greenley, "Comparative evaluation of display technologies for collaborative design review," Presence, Vol.18, No.2, pp.125-138, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1162/pres.18.2.125
- J. T. Cacioppo and R. E. Petty, "The need for cognition," Jornal of Pesonality and social Psychology, Vol.42, No.1, pp.116-131, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.199
- R. Hawkins, S. Pingree, J. Hitchon, B. Radler, B. Gorham, L. Kahlor, E. Gilligan, R. Serlin, P. Kannaovakun, and G. Kolbeins, "What produces television attention and attention style?," Human Communication Research, Vol.31, No.1, pp.162-187, 2005.
- Intermedia Agenda-setting Effects: Political Debates on TV and Twitter vol.14, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.01.139
- A Preliminary Study on the Preference Assessment on Individuals with Specific Display Location in Screen based on Electroencephalogram and Emotional Assessment vol.63, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2014.63.7.968