- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Foundation Modeling Considering the Soil-Structure Interaction
지반-구조물 상호작용을 고려한 기초모델링
- Received : 2012.02.17
- Accepted : 2012.05.15
- Published : 2012.06.30
Even with its significant influence on the dynamic analysis and foundation design of structures, sometimes the soil-structure interaction has been ignored during the design process. One of the reasons is due to the fact that the modeling procedures are too complicated to meet the requirements in practice. In this study, using the Cali(IT)2 building in California with high and frequent seismic activities, the analysis differences for different boundary conditions are reviewed. The Beam on Nonlinear Winkler Foundation Model, one of the foundation modeling methods, is modified for easy use by the Linear Matrix Inequalities Model Reduction Technique. The product of the proposed process is applied to create the Finite Element Model. The results show fairly good agreement with the real data acquired from the Cal(IT)2 building.
- A. S. Veletos and V. V. Nair, "Seismic interaction of structures on hysteretic foundations," Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 101, 109-129, 1975.
- J. P. Stewart, et al., "Seismic soil-structure interaction in builidngs. I: Analytical aspects," Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol. 125, 26-37, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(1999)125:1(26)
- Applied Technology Council(ATC 3-06), Tentative provisions for the development of seismic regulations for buildings. Redwood City, CA, 1978.
- Building Seismic Safety Council(BSSC), NEHRP recommended provisions for seismic regulations for new buildings and other structures. Washington, DC, 2004.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency(FEMA), Prestandard and commentary for the seismic rehabilitation of building. Washington, DC, 2000.
- American Society of Civil Engineering(ASCE 41-06), "Seismic rehabilitation of existing buildings," Reston, Virginia, 2006.
- S. Gajan, et al., "Numerical models for analysis and performance-based design of shallow foundations subjected to seismic loading," University of California, Berkeley2008.
- G. Gazetas, "Formulas and charts for impedances of surface and embedded foundations," Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, Vol. 117, 1363-1381, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1991)117:9(1363)
- S. Soyoz, "Health monitoring of existing structures," PhD Civil Engineering University of California, Irvine, Irvine, 2007.
- H. Matlock, "Correlations for design of laterally loaded piles in soft clay," in 2nd Annual Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, Texas, 1970, pp. 577-594.
- American Petroleum Institute(API), Recommended practice for planning, designing and constructing fixed offshore plathorms API recommended practice Seventeenth ed., 1987.
- K. Terzaghi, Theoretical soil mechanics. New York: John Wiley, 1943.
- C. W. Harden, et al., "Numerical modeling of the nonlinear cyclic response of shallow foundations," University of California, Berkeley 2005.
- C. Chen, Linear system theory and design, Third ed. New York: Oxford University Press, 1999.