- Volume 12 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Collaborative Process to Facilitate BIM-based Clash Detection Tasks for Enhancing Constructability
- Received : 2012.01.12
- Accepted : 2012.04.20
- Published : 2012.06.20
One of reasons for introducing Building Information Modeling (BIM) is to support clash detection tasks by means of a 3D product model. In the conventional construction project process, clashes have been found during construction phase. However, it can cause cost overrun and time delay. In order to investigate and correct clash detections at design phase, relevant business process and guide for this task should be provided. This study aims to identify hindrances in clash detection tasks at the design phase and analyze its current process using IDEF0 model. Despite the convenience of IDEF0 as a systems analysis tool, professional participants might have difficulties to understand their own tasks according to business process. For this reason, in this research, Business Process Model and Notation (BPMN) is introduced to provide ideal process and required decision making governance. The provide BPMN model will provide insights for a BIM-based collaborative environment to enhance the constructability through the construction project.
building information modeling;clash detection;collaborative process
- Kim HS. Revealing Issues and Prospects of Domestic Construction by Analysis of BIM Case Studies. The Architectural Institute of Korea. 2010 Jan;54(1):65-9.
- Shin TH. The Suggestion of the BIM Strategies for General Contractors. Journal of the Korea Institute of Building Construction. 2011 Apr;11(2):26-32
- Kim CS. Effect and Prospect By BIM Case Study in the Construction Phase. The Architectural Institute of Korea. 2010 Dec;54(12):64-8.
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs. [The Guide of BIM Applications in Architecture]. Gwacheon (Korea): Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs; 2010. 144 p. Korean.
- Public Procurement Service. [The Primer of BIM Applications v1.0.] Daejeon (Korea): Public Procurement Service; 2010. 75 p. Korean.
- Virtual Almighty. [The BIM Guideline version 2.0.] Seoul (Korea): Virtual Almighty; c2010. 75 p. Korean.
- Kim JW, Ryu HK, Son BS, Choi YK. Business Process Model for Urban Regeneration Project using BPMN Modeling Method. Korea Institute of Construction Engineering and Management. 2010 Jul;11(4):41-50.
- Kim BN, Kim TW, Kim HB, Lee YI, Lee KW. Exporting Business Process Modeling Using IDEF0 and UML. Korea Intelligent Information System Society. 2001 Dec;7(2):179-93.
- Kim MJ, Lee HG, Kim JJ. An Analysis of Management Process Using IDEF0. The Architectural Institute of Korea. 2006 Apr;22(4):177-85.
- Allweyer T. [BPMN 2.0 Business Process Model and Notation]. 2nd ed. Park JY, translator. Ansan (Korea): Dbbada; 2009. 200 p. Korean.
- Kim YS. New Paradigm of Project Delivery System for BIM based Construction Project. The Architectural Institute of Korea. 2010 Jan;54(1):37-40.
- Eastman C, Teicholz P, Sacks R, Liston K. BIM Handbook. San Francisco (CA): Wiley John & Sons International; 2009. 501 p.
- Womack JP, Jones DT. Lean Thinking: Banish Waste and Create Wealth in Your Corporation. New York (NY): Simon & Schuster; 2003. 400 p.
- Kim YW, Kim KH. A Study on Preconstruction Process in Support of Lean Project Delivery System. Korea Institute of Healthcare Architecture. 2008 Nov;14(4):47-54.
- Yoon YS. [Service Six Sigma]. 1st ed. Seoul (Korea): Nemo Sigma Group; 2003. 328 p. Korean.
- Building information modeling-based integration of MEP layout designs and constructability vol.61, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2015.10.003
- BIM applications toward key performance indicators of construction projects in Iran pp.2331-2327, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/15623599.2018.1484852
- BIM coordinators: a review vol.25, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1108/ECAM-03-2017-0050