- Volume 51 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Terrestrial Insect Fauna of the Junam Wetlands Area in Korea
우리나라 주남습지 지역의 육상 곤충상
- Ahn, Soo-Jeong (Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Park, Chung-Gyoo (Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2012.02.24
- Accepted : 2012.04.06
- Published : 2012.06.01
Terrestrial insect fauna was surveyed in the Junam wetland area, which consists of the Junam, Dongpan, and Sannam wetlands, by visual counting and pictures. A sweep net collection was conducted from May to October 2010. A neighburing artificial lotus wetland was also surveyed for comparison. A total of 5,730 insects were surveyed, representing 268 species in 85 families and 12 orders. Sixty-three species of coleopterans were surveyed, followed by 60 species of Lepidoptera, and 37 species of Hemiptera. Coleopteran individuals were 25.9% of the total insect numbers surveyed, comprising most abundant group. This was followed by Odonata, Lepidoptera, and Orthoptera at 22.3%, 15.4%, and 12.7%, respectively. In total, 197 species were surveyed in the Dongpan wetland, 175 in the Junam wetland, and 154 species in the Sannam wetlands. However, only 86 species were surveyed in the artificial lotus wetland. Galerucella nipponensis in Coleoptera, Crocothemis servilia mariannae in Odonata, and Polygonia c-aureum in Lepidoptera were the most abundant in all four wetlands. Community analyses showed that the dominance index was highest in the artificial lotus wetland at 0.25 and lowest in Junam wetland at 0.08. Diversity indices were relatively high in all wetlands at 4.48, 4.44, 4.28, and 3.87 in Junam, Dongpan, Sannam, and the artificial lotus wetland, respectively. The insect fauna similarity index was highest in the Junam and Dongpan wetlands at 0.96. The lotus wetland showed the lowest similarity of the three wetlands with values of 0.45-0.53.
- Ahn, S.J. 2010. Hemiptera of Korea. 294 pp. Piltong Publ., Seoul, Korea.
- Anonymous. 2001. Survey on the natural environment at the inland wetlands in Korea. 115 pp. Ministry of Environment, Korea.
- Bae, Y.J., S.I. Jo., D.H. Hoang., H.G. Lee and K.B. Na. 2004. Biodiversity and community composition of benthic macroinvertebrates from Upo wetlands in Korea. Kor. J. Environ. Ecol. 18: 75-91.
- Borror, D.J., C.A. Triplehorn and N.F. Johnson. 1989. An introduction to the study of insects. 6th ed. 873 pp. Saunders College Publ., USA.
- Choi, Y.C., J.G. Kim, J.Y. Choi, W.T. Kim, H.S. Shin and B.D. Park. 2007. Evaluation of farm lands located in urban area and industrial complex using insect diversity indices. Korean J. Appl. Entomol. 46: 363-373. https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2007.46.3.363
- Gullan P.J. and P.S. Cranston. 2005. The insects, an outline of entomology. 3rd ed. 528 pp. Blackwell Publ. Ltd., USA.
- Hahm, K.H., C.S. Kim and I.K. Kim. 1999. A study on the species and individuals change of birds in Junam Reservoir during the last ten years (1989-1998). Kor. J. Ornithol. 6: 127-132.
- Hahm, K.H., C.S. Kim and I.K. Kim. 2001. Population fluctuations of Cygrus cygnus and C. columbianucs during 11 years, on Junam Reservoir of Kyungsangnam-do (1989-1999). Kor. J. Ornithol. 8: 47-53.
- Jeong, S.B., H.S. Oh, H.S. Jeon, K.S. Yang, W.T. Kim. 2010. Aquatic insects fauna and characteristics of distribution on Jeju island wetlands. J. Wet. Res. 12: 35-46.
- Jung, B.H. 2011. Utopia of insect. 463 pp. Jihye-Sup Co., Ltd. Seoul, Korea.
- Jung, G.S. 2007. Odonata of Korea. 512 pp. IlGongYukSa Publ., Seoul Korea.
- Kang, B.G. and J.S. Choi. 2007. Junam wetland. 168 pp. Jisungsa Publ., Seoul Korea.
- Kim, S.S. 2003. Butterflies, moths. 335 pp. Kyo-Hak Publ. Co. Ltd. Seoul Korea.
- Lee, E.H. and K.G. An. 2009. Temporal dynamics of water quality in Junam Reservoir, as a nest of migratory birds. Korean J. Limnol. 42: 9-18.
- Margalef, D.R. 1958. Information theory in ecology. Gen. Syst. 3: 36-71.
- McNaughton, S.J. 1967. Relationship among functional properties of California glassland. Nature 216: 168-169.
- Mulamoottil, G., B.G. Warner and E.A. McBean. 1996. Wetlands: Environmental gradients boundaries, and buffers. 320 pp. Lewis Publ., USA.
- Norman, M. 1979. The sinking ark: A new look at the problem of disappearing species. 307 pp. Pergamon Press. USA.
- Noss, R.F. 1990. Indicators for monitoring biodiversity: A hierarchical approach. Conservation Biol. 4: 355-364. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1523-1739.1990.tb00309.x
- Paek, M.K. et al. 2010. Checklist of Korea insects. 598 pp. Nature & ecology Publ., Seoul, Korea.
- Park, H.C., S.S Kim. Y.B. Lee and Y.J. Lee. 2006. Color illustration of Korean beetles (Coleoptera). 358 pp. Kyo-Hak Publ. Co., Ltd., Seoul, Korea.
- Pielou, C.E. 1969. Shannon's formula as a measure of specific diversity, its use and misuse. Am. Nat. 100: 463-465.
- Pielou, C.E. 1975. Ecology diversity. 165 pp. Wiley, New York.
- Richard, E. 2005. No turning back (The life and death of animal species). 448 pp. HarperCollins. USA.
- Romoser, W.S. and J.G. Stoffolano, Jr. 1998. The science of entomology. 605 pp. WCB/Mcgraw-Hill Co. Singapore.
- Shin, Y.H. 2001. Coloured illustrations of the moths of Korea. 551 pp. Academy Book Publ., Seoul, Korea.
- Sorensen, T. 1948. A method of establishing groups of equal amplitude in plant sociology based on similarity of species content. Kongelige Danske Videnskabernes Selskab. 4: 1-34.
- Spellerberg, I.F. 1991. Monitoring ecological change. 334 pp. Cambridge University Press.
- Tansley, A.G. 1935. The use and abuse of vegetational terms and concepts. Ecology 16: 284-307. https://doi.org/10.2307/1930070
- Whittaker, R.H. 1956. Vegetation of the great smokey mountains. Ecol. Monographs 26: 1-80. https://doi.org/10.2307/1943577
- Yoon, I.B., S.J. Aw and J.I. Kim. 1989. Study on the structures of aquatic insect communities at five wetlands in Gyungsang-Namdo, Kor. J. Environ. Biol. 7: 19-32.
- The Faunae before and after Creating the Solbangjuk Wetland Ecological Park Located in Jecheon-City were Compared vol.42, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.9715/KILA.2014.42.3.035
- The Comparative Studies on the Terrestrial Insect Diversity in Protected Horticulture Complex and Paddy Wetland vol.18, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.17663/JWR.2016.18.4.386
- The List of Vascular Plants at Junam Wetland in Changwon City vol.15, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5532/KJAFM.2013.15.2.067
- Survey and Analysis of Insect Species in the South Korea Habitat (Yeoncheon) of the Water Spider, Argyroneta aquatica vol.35, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.11626/KJEB.2017.35.4.476