- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Removal of COD and T-N caused by ETA from Nuclear Power Plant Wastewater using 3D Packed Bed Bipolar Electrode System
3D 복극충진전기분해를 이용한 원전 ETA에 의해 유발된 폐수 내 COD 및 T-N 제거
- Published : 2012.06.15
Ethanolamine (ETA) is mainly used to prevent corrosion of pipe in secondary cooling system of nuclear power plant. Condensed ETA in wastewater could increase COD and T-N when it was emitted to natural water system. Compared to conventional treatments, electrochemical oxidation process using packed bed bipolar electrodes was adopted to treat COD and T-N. According to arrangement of feeder electrode, single packed bed bipolar electrode reactor and multi-paired packed bed bipolar reactor were developed and conventional zero-valent iron (ZVI) was selected as conducting bipolar electrode. Bipolar electrodes were coordinated three-dimensionally in the reactor. The experimental results showed that COD and T-N was little removed in unit system at different pH condition (pH 8 and 11) on 100V. However, in multi-paired system that applied 600V, COD was eliminated 80.85% (anode-cathode-anode, A-C-A) and 85.11% (cathode-anode-cathode, C-A-C), respectively. T-N was also removed 96.88% (A-C-A) and 90.63% (C-A-C), simultaneously. Current efficiency was estimated both single and multi-paired system. At unit bipolar packed bed reactor, current efficiency was almost zero, however in multi-paired system, current efficiency was 300~500% at A-C-A and 250~350% at C-A-C. Current efficiency was over 100% hence it was confirmed that this system is more effective than conventional electrochemical oxidation system.
- 현준택 (2007), 생물학적 방법에 의한 Monoethanolamine의 분해 연구, Korean J. Biotechnol. Bioeng., 22(3), 157-161.
- Adenier, A., Chehimi, M. M., Gallardo, I., Pinson, J. and Vila, N. (2004), Electrochemical Oxidation of Aliphatic Amines and Their Attachment to Carbon and Metal Surfaces, Langmuir, 20(19), 8243-8253. https://doi.org/10.1021/la049194c
- Awang , Z. B., Bashir, M. J. K., Kutty, S. R. M. and Isa, M. H. (2011), Post-treatment of salughterhouse wastewater using electrochemical oxidation, Research Journal of Chemistry and Environment, 15(2), 229-237.
- Bothej u, D., Li, Y., Hovland, J., Haugen, H. A. and Bakke, R. (2011), Biological treatment of amine wastes generated in post combustion CO2 capture, Energy Procedia, 4(0), 496-503. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2011.01.080
- Cattant , F., Crusset, D. and Feron, D. (2008), Corrosion issues in nuclear industry today, Materials Today, 11(10), 32-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1369-7021(08)70205-0
- Chiang, L.-C., Chang, J.-E. and Wen, T.-C. (1995), Indirect oxidation effect in electrochemical oxidation treatment of landfill leachate, Water Research, 29(2), 671-678. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1354(94)00146-X
- Donten, M., Hyk, W., Ciszkowska, M. and Stojek, Z. (1997), Electrooxidation of ammonia and simple amines at titanium electrodes modified with a mixture of ruthenium and titanium dioxides, Electroanalysis, 9(10), 751-754. https://doi.org/10.1002/elan.1140091004
- Duvall, S. H. and Mccreery, R. L. (1999), Control of Catechol and Hydroquinone Electron-Transfer Kinetics on Native and Modified Glassy Carbon Electrodes, Analytical Chemistry, 71(20), 4594-4602. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac990399d
- Ge, J., Qu, J., Lei, P. and Liu, H. (2004), New bipolar electrocoagulation-electroflotation process for the treatment of laundry wastewater, Separation and Purification Technology, 36(1), 33-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1383-5866(03)00150-3
- Gherard ini, L., Michaud, P. A., Panizza, M., Comninellis, C. and Vatistas, N. (2001), Electrochemical Oxidation of 4-Chlorophenol for Wastewater Treatment: Definition of Normalized Current Efficiency (phi), Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 148(6), D78-D82. https://doi.org/10.1149/1.1368105
- Goodrid ge, F., King, C. J. H. and Wright, A. R. (1977), The behaviour of bipolar packed-bed electrodes, Electrochimica Acta, 22(4), 347-352. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-4686(77)85085-8
- Guvenc, A. and Karabacakoglu, B. (2001), Study of the Effect of Number of Layers on the Electrosynthesis of Cobalt(III) Acetate in a Bipolar Packed-Bed Flow Reactor, Turkish Journal of Chemistry, 25(4), 461-468.
- Harimurti, S., Dutta, B., Ariff, I., Chakrabarti, S. and Vione, D. (2010), Degradation of Monoethanolamine in Aqueous Solution by Fenton's Reagent with Biological Post-treatment, Water, Air, & Soil Pollution, 211(1), 273-286. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11270-009-0298-z
- Kodym, R., Bouzek, K., Snita, D. and Thonstad, J. (2007), Potential and current density distributions along a bipolar electrode, Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, 37(11), 1303-1312. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10800-007-9410-5
- Kusakabe , K., Morooka, S. and Kato, Y. (1982), Current paths and electrolysis efficiency in bipolar packed-bed electrodes, Journal of chemical engineering of Japan, 15(1), 45-50. https://doi.org/10.1252/jcej.15.45
- Lin, S. H ., Shyu, C. T. and Sun, M. C. (1998), Saline wastewater treatment by electrochemical method, Water Research, 32(4), 1059-1066. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(97)00327-8
- Nordman n, F. (2004). Aspects on chemistry in French nuclear power plants. International Conference on the Properties of Water and Steam. Kyoto, Japan
- Raught, D. P., Foutch, G. L. and Apblett, A. (2005), Ion exchange resin fouling by organic amines in secondary systems at U.S. nuclear power plants, Power Plant Chemistry, 7(12), 741-747.
- Rhee, I. - H., Ahn, H.-K. and Jung, H.-J. (2007). Effect of pH and Temperature on Condensation and dissolution. International Conference on Signal Processing, Robotics and Automation, Corfu Island, Greece, WSEAS.
- Sakakibar a, Y. and Nakayama, T. (2001), A novel multi-electrode system for electrolytic and biological water treatments:: electric charge transfer and application to denitrification, Water Research, 35(3), 768-778. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(00)00327-4
- Saracco, G., Solarino, L., Aigotti, R., Specchia, V. and Maja, M. (2000), Electrochemical oxidation of organic pollutants at low electrolyte concentrations, Electrochimica Acta, 46(2-3), 373-380. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-4686(00)00594-6
- Van Hege , K., Verhaege, M. and Verstraete, W. (2004), Electro-oxidative abatement of low-salinity reverse osmosis membrane concentrates, Water Research, 38(6), 1550-1558. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2003.12.023
- Wang, C. -T., Chou, W.-L. and Kuo, Y.-M. (2009), Removal of COD from laundry wastewater by electrocoagulation/electroflotation, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 164(1), 81-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2008.07.122
- Wodiunig, S., Bokeloh, F. and Comninellis, C. (2000), Electrochemical promotion of bipolar electrodes: an estimation of the current bypass, Electrochimica Acta, 46(2-3), 357-363. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-4686(00)00592-2
- Xiong, Y. , He, C., Karlsson, H. T. and Zhu, X. (2003), Performance of three-phase three-dimensional electrode reactor for the reduction of COD in simulated wastewater-containing phenol, Chemosphere, 50(1), 131-136. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(02)00609-4
- Yavuz, Y. , Koparal, A. S., X015f, Ogutveren, U. B. and X (2008), Phenol Degradation in a Bipolar Trickle Tower Reactor Using Boron-Doped Diamond Electrode, Journal of Environmental Engineering, 134(1), 24-31. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9372(2008)134:1(24)
- Yeon, K. -H., Song, J.-H., Shim, J., Moon, S.-H., Jeong, Y.-U. and Joo, H.-Y. (2007), Integrating electrochemical processes with electrodialysis reversal and electro-oxidation to minimize COD and T-N at wastewater treatment facilities of power plants, Desalination, 202(1-3), 400-410. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2005.12.080
- Effect of Cathode in Electrochemical Reaction for Treating Ballast Water vol.23, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2014.23.6.1175
- Enhanced removal of ethanolamine from secondary system of nuclear power plant wastewater by novel hybrid nano zero-valent iron and pressurized ozone initiated oxidation process vol.24, pp.21, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-017-9416-4