- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Differentiation of tidal volume & mean airway pressure with different Bag-Valve-Mask compression depth and compression rate
Bag-Valve-Mask의 사용방법에 따른 일회호흡량과 평균기도압의 변화 연구
- Jo, Seung-Mook (Department of Emergency Medical Service, Eulji University) ;
- Jung, Hyung-Keon (Department of Emergency Medical Service, Eulji University)
- Received : 2012.06.18
- Accepted : 2012.08.16
- Published : 2012.08.31
Purpose : The purpose of this study is to get basal user guidelines of safer bag-valve-mask application on patient with normal pulmonary patho-physiologic condition. Methods : This study was accomplished by pre-qualified 25 EMS junior grade students. Participants were instructed randomly compress bag to one-third, half and total and also with differesnt compression speed. Resultant tidal volumes and mean airway pressures obtained in RespiTrainer were analysed in relation to the each compression depth and rate. Results : Demographic difference does not affect tidal volume with any compression depth and rate change. Increasing compression depth is correlated with tidal volume increasement at any compression rate and also with mean airway pressure. If the compression depth is same, compression rate change did not affect significantly the resultant tidal volume or mean airway pressure. Conclusion : Hand size, Experience, BMI dose not affect tidal volume. Compress the 1600 ml bag half to total amount is safe way to offer sufficient tidal volume without risky high airway pressure delivery to patient airway who with normal lung patho-physiologic condition.
- Strote J, Roth R, Cone DC, Wang HE. Prehospital endotracheal intubation; the controversy continues. Am J Emerg Med 2009;27(9):1142-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajem.2008.08.011
- Eun SJ, Kim H, Jung KY, Cho KH, Kim Y. Prospective multicenter evaluation of prehospital care by 119 rescue services. J Korean Soc Emerg Med 2007;18(3):177-89.
- Ayres SM, Grenvik A, Holbrook PR, Shoemaker WC. Textbook of critical care resuscitation. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Saunders, 1995. 16-38.
- 2010 Cardiopulmonary resuscitation guideline. AHA. kacpr 5. Briscoe WA, Dubois AB. The relationship between airway resistance, airway conductance and lung volume in subject of different age and body size. J Clin Invest 1958;37(9):1279-85. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI103715
- Committee and subcommittees, American Heart Association. Guidelines for cardiopulmonary resuscitation and emergency cardiac care. JAMA 1992;268(16):2171-98. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1992.03490160041023
- Thomas AN, Dang PT, Hyatt J, Trinh TN. A new technique for two-hand bag-valve-mask ventilation. Br J Anaesth 1992;69(4):397-98. https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/69.4.397
- Cohn JE, Donoso HD. Mechanical properties of lung in normal men over 60 years old. J Clin Invest 1963;42:1406-1410. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI104825
- Dreyfuss D, Basset G, Soler P, Saumon G. Intermittent positive pressure hyperventilation with high inflation pressure produce pulmonary microvascular injury in rats. Am Rev Respir Dis 1985;132(4):880-884.
- Carden E, Friedman D. Further studies of manually operated self-inflating resuscitation bags. Anesth Analg 1977;56(2):202-206.
- Lim YS, Lee SK. Assessment of positive pressure controlled ventilation with the laryngeal mask airway. Korean J Crit Care Med 1999;14(2):148-153.
- Brian AI. The laryngeal mask- a new concept in airway management. Br J Anaesth 1983;55(8):801-5. https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/55.8.801
- Gajic O, Dara SI, Mendez JL, Adesanya AO, Festic E, Caples SM, et al. Ventilator associated lung injury in patient without acute lung injury at the onset of mechanical ventilation. Crit Care Med 2004;32(9):1817-1824. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.CCM.0000133019.52531.30
- Jin YH, Jeung TO, Kang JH, Lee JB. The effect of ventilation rate and characteristics of the hand on Inspiratory oxygen concentration and tidal volume during bag-valve ventilation. J Korean soc Emerg Med 1998;9(1):7-13.
- Vlasenko AV, Ostapchenko DV, Galushka SV, Mitrokhin AA, Zhitkovskii KA. Role of autoPEEP in optimization of the respiratory pattern in patients with acute parenchymatous lung diseases. Anestheziol Reanimatol 2002;(6):25-30.
- Briscoe WA, Dubois AB. The relationship between airway resistance, airway conductance and lung volume in subject of different age and body size. J Clin Invest 1958;37(9):1279-85. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI103715