- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Robust Elevator Door Recognition using LRF and Camera
LRF와 카메라를 이용한 강인한 엘리베이터 문 인식
- Ma, Seung-Wan (Inha University) ;
- Cui, Xuenan (Inha University) ;
- Lee, Hyung-Ho (Inha University) ;
- Kim, Hyung-Rae (Inha University) ;
- Lee, Jae-Hong (Inha University) ;
- Kim, Hak-Il (Inha University)
- 마승완 (인하대학교 로봇공학과) ;
- 최학남 (인하대학교 정보공학과) ;
- 이형호 (인하대학교 정보공학과) ;
- 김형래 (인하대학교 로봇공학과) ;
- 이재홍 (인하대학교 정보공학과) ;
- 김학일 (인하대학교 정보공학과)
- Received : 2011.12.29
- Accepted : 2012.05.09
- Published : 2012.06.01
The recognition of elevator door is needed for mobile service robots to moving between floors in the building. This paper proposed the sensor fusion approach using LRF (Laser Range Finder) and camera to solve the problem. Using the laser scans by the LRF, we extract line segments and detect candidates as the elevator door. Using the image by the camera, the door candidates are verified and selected as real door of the elevator. The outliers are filtered through the verification process. Then, the door state detection is performed by depth analysis within the door. The proposed method uses extrinsic calibration to fuse the LRF and the camera. It gives better results of elevator door recognition compared to the method using LRF only.
extrinsic calibration;straight line extraction;door detection;door recognition;sensor fusion
Supported by : 지식경제부
- D. Anguelov, D. Koller, E. Parker, and S. Thrun, "Detecting and modeling doors with mobile robots," Proc. - IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, vol. 4, pp. 3777-3784, 2004.
- A. C. Murillo, J. Kosecka, J. J. Guerrero, and C. Sagues, "Visual door detection integrating appearance and shape cues," Robotics and Autonomous Systems, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 512-521, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.robot.2008.03.003
- J. G. Kang, S. Y. An, W. S. Choi, and S. Y. Oh, "Recognition and path planning strategy for autonomous navigation in the elevator environment," International Journal of Control, Automation and Systems, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 808-821, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12555-010-0413-3
- Q. Zhang and R. Pless, "Extrinsic calibration of a camera and laser range finder (improves camera calibration)," 2004 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), vol. 3, pp. 2301-2306, 2004.
- V. Nguyen, S. Gachter, A. Martinelli, N. Tomatis, and R. Siegwart, "A comparison of line extraction algorithms using 2D range data for indoor mobile robotics," Autonomous Robots, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 97-111, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10514-007-9034-y
- G. A. Borges and M. J. Aldon, "Line extraction in 2D range images for mobile robotics," Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems: Theory and Applications, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 267-297, 2004.
- L. Zhang and B. K. Ghosh, "Line segment based map building and localization using 2D laser rangefinder," Proc. - IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, vol. 3, pp. 2538-2543, 2000.
- J. Vandorpe, H. Van Brussel, and H. Xu, "Exact dynamic map building for a mobile robot using geometrical primitives produced by a 2D range finder," Proc. - IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, vol. 1, pp. 901-908, 1996.
- P. Nunez, R. Vazquez-Martín, J. C. Del Toro, A. Bandera, and F. Sandoval, "Feature extraction from laser scan data based on curvature estimation for mobile robotics," Proc. - IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, art. no. 1641867, pp. 1167-1172, 2006.
- J. B. Burns and A. R. Hanson, "Extracting straight lines," IEEE Transactions on pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, PAMI-8(4), pp. 425-455, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.1986.4767808
- S.-H. Yang, B.-S. Song, and J.-Y. Lim, "Radar and vision sensor fusion for primary vehicle detection," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 639-645, Jul. 2010. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2010.16.7.639
- J.-P. Hwang, S.-K. Park, E.-T. Kim, and H.-J. Kang, "Camera and LIDAR combined system for on-road vehicle detection," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 390-395, Apr. 2009. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2009.15.4.390
- J.-P. Hwang, S.-K. Park, E.-T. Kim, and H.-J. Kang, "Sensor fusion-based semantic map building," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 277-282, Mar. 2011. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2011.17.3.277
- Person-following of a Mobile Robot using a Complementary Tracker with a Camera-laser Scanner vol.20, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2014.13.1954