- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Measurement and Compensation of Heliostat Sun Tracking Error Using BCS (Beam Characterization System)
광특성분석시스템(BCS)을 이용한 헬리오스타트 태양추적오차의 측정 및 보정
- Hong, Yoo-Pyo (Hyundai MOBIS) ;
- Park, Young-Chil (Seoul National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2012.02.09
- Accepted : 2012.03.27
- Published : 2012.05.01
Heliostat, as a concentrator to reflect the incident solar energy to the receiver, is the most important system in the tower-type solar thermal power plant since it determines the efficiency and ultimately the overall performance of solar thermal power plant. Thus, a good sun tracking ability as well as a good optical property of it are required. Heliostat sun tracking system uses usually an open loop control system. Thus the sun tracking error caused by heliostat's geometrical error, optical error and computational error cannot be compensated. Recently use of sun tracking error model to compensate the sun tracking error has been proposed, where the error model is obtained from the measured ones. This work is a development of heliostat sun tracking error measurement and compensation method using BCS (Beam Characterization System). We first developed an image processing system to measure the sun tracking error optically. Then the measured error is modeled in linear polynomial form and neural network form trained by the extended Kalman filter respectively. Finally error models are used to compensate the sun tracking error. We also developed the necessary image processing algorithms so that the heliostat optical properties such as maximum heat flux intensity, heat flux distribution and total reflected heat energy could be analyzed. Experimentally obtained data shows that the heliostat sun tracking accuracy could be dramatically improved using either linear polynomial type error model or neural network type error model. Neural network type error model is somewhat better in improving the sun tracking performance. Nevertheless, since the difference between two error models in compensation of sun tracking error is small, a linear error model is preferred in actual implementation due to its simplicity.
Supported by : 서울과학기술대학교
- PIER-California Energy Commission, "Renewable Energy: Solar Two Central Receiver," Oct. 1999.
- K. W. Stone and S. A. Hones, "Analysis of solar two heliostat tracking error sources," SAND99-0239C, 1999.
- Y. C. Park, "Analysis of sun tracking error caused by the heliostat driving axis geometrical error utilizing the solar ray tracking technique," Journal of the Korean Solar Energy Society, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 39-46, 2009.
- Y. C. Park, "Analysis of heliostat sun tracking error due to the mirror installation and drive mechanism induced error," Journal of the Korean Solar Energy Society, vol. 29, no. 3, 2009.
- O. Aliman, I. Duat, M. Isa, and M. R. Adzman, "Tracking error analysis of a rotation-elevation mode heliostat," American Journal of Applied Science, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 176-180, 2007. https://doi.org/10.3844/ajassp.2007.176.180
- S. E. Lee, "Compensation of heliostat sun tracking error using multilayer neural network based on the extended Kalman filter," Master Thesis, Seoul National University of Technology, 2010.
- M. Kiera and W. Schiel., "Measurement and analysis of heliostat images," Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, vol. 111, no. 3, 1989.
- J. W. Strachan, "Revisiting the BCS, a measurement system for characterizing the optics of solar collectors," Sandia National Laboratories, SAND92-2789C, 1993.
- J. W. Strachan and R. M. Houser, "Testing and evaluation of large-area heliostats for solar thermal application," Solar Thermal Test Department Report, Sandia National Laboratories, 1993.
- M. H. Park, "Introduction of power tower project," The Magazine of Korean Solar Energy Society (in Korean), vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 14-18, 2010.
- Y. P. Hong, "Measurement and analysis of heliostat sun tracking error using image processing," Master Thesis, Seoul National University of Science and Technology, Feb. 2011.
- D. H. Seo and Y. C. Park, "Analysis of sun tracking performance of various types of sun tracking system used in parabolic dish type solar thermal power plant," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 388-396, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2011.17.4.388
- S. E. Lee and Y. C. Park, "Modeling of heliostat sun tracking error using multilayered neural network trained by the extended Kalman filter," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 711-719, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2010.16.7.711
- Development of Heliostat Aiming Point Allocation Scheme in Heliostat Field Control Algorithm for 200kW Tower Type Solar Thermal Power Plant vol.34, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7836/kses.2014.34.3.021