- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Foot Motion Estimation Smoother using Inertial Sensors
관성센서를 사용한 발의 움직임 추정용 평활기
- Received : 2011.12.13
- Accepted : 2012.04.03
- Published : 2012.05.01
A foot motion is estimated using an inertial sensor unit, which is installed on a shoe. The inertial sensor unit consists of 3 axis accelerometer and 3 axis gyroscopes. Attitude and position of a foot are estimated using an inertial navigation algorithm. To increase estimation performance, a smoother is used, where the smoother employs a forward and backward filter structure. An indirect Kalman filter is used as a forward filter and backward filter. A new combining algorithm for the smoother is proposed to combine a forward indirect Kalman filter and a backward indirect Kalman filter. Through experiments, the estimation performance of the proposed smoother is verified.
Supported by : 울산대학교
- M. W. Whittle, Gait Analysis: An Introduction, Elsevier, New York, 2008.
- D. T. Nhut and Y. S. Suh, "Gait analysis system using infrared LED landmarks," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 641-646, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2011.17.7.641
- D. H. Titterton and J. Weston, Strapdown Inertial Navigation Technology, AIAA, 2005.
- A. M. Sabatini et al, "Assessment of walking features from foot inertial sensing," IEEE Tran. on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 486-494, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TBME.2004.840727
- A. M. Sabatini, "Quaternion based attitude estimation algorithm applied to signals from body-mounted gyroscopes," Electronics Letters, vol. 40, no. 10, pp. 584-586, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:20040401
- L. Ojeda and J. Borenstein, "Personal dead-reckoning system for GPS-denied environments," Proc. of IEEE International Workshop on Safety, Security and Rescue Robotics, pp. 1-6, 2007.
- E. Foxlin, "Pedestrian tracking with shoe-mounted inertial sensors," IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 38-46, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCG.2005.140
- R. G. Brown and P. Y. C. Hwang, Introduction to Random Signals and Applied Kalman Filtering, John Wiley & Sons, 1997.
- Y. S. Suh, T. N. Do, Y. S. Ro, and H. J. Kang, "A smoother for attitude estimation using inertial and magnetic sensors," in Proc. of 2010 IEEE Sensors, pp. 743-746, 2010.
- S. I. Roumeliotis, G. S. Sukhatme, and G. A. Bekey, "Smoother based 3D attitude estimation for mobile robot localization," in Proc. of the 1999 IEEE International Conference on Robotics & Automation, vol. 3, pp. 1979-1986, 1999.
- Y. S. Suh, "A smoother for attitude and position estimation using inertial sensors with zero velocity intervals," IEEE Sensors Journal, to appear.
- J. B. Kuipers, Quaternions and Rotation Sequences: A Primer With Applications to Orbits, Aerospace, and Virtual Reality, Princeton Univ. Press, 1999.
- S. P. Won and F. Golnaraghi, "A triaxial accelerometer calibration method using a mathematical model," IEEE Tr. on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 59, no. 8, pp. 2144-2153, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2009.2031849
- O. Woodman, "Pedestrian localisation for indoor environments," Ph.D. thesis, University of Cambridge, Computer Laboratory, Sep. 2010.
- M. D. Shuster and S. D. Oh, "Three-axis attitude determination from vector observations," Journal of Guidance and Control, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 70-77, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.19717
- F. L. Markley, "Multiplicative vs. additive filtering for spacecraft attitude determination," 6th Cranfield Conference on Dynamics and Control of Systems and Structures in Space, Cranfield, Bedford, UK, pp. 467-474, 2004.
- Y S. Suh, "Orientation estimation using a quaternionbased indirect Kalman filter with adaptive estimation of external acceleration," IEEE Tran. on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 59, no. 12, pp. 3296-3304, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2010.2047157
- O. Shin and C. G. Park, "Pose estimation of ground test bed using ceiling landmark and optical flow based on single Camera/IMU Fusion," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 54-61, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2012.18.1.054
- Enhanced Attitude Determination with IMU using Estimation of Lever Arms vol.19, pp.10, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2013.13.8013