- Volume 18 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Performance Evaluation of Real-time Mechanisms for Real-time Embedded Linux
실시간 임베디드 리눅스의 실시간 메커니즘 성능 분석
- Koh, Jae-Hwan (Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Choi, Byoung-Wook (Seoul National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2011.12.09
- Accepted : 2012.02.08
- Published : 2012.04.01
This paper presents performance evaluation of real-time mechanisms for real-time embedded linux. First, we presents process for implementing open-source real-time embedded linux namely RTAI and Xenomai. These are real-time extensions to linux kernel and we implemented real-time embedded linux over the latest linux kernel. Measurements of executions of real-time mechanisms for each distribution are performed to give a quantitative comparison. Performance evaluations are conducted in kernel space about repeatability of periodic task, response time of Semaphore, FIFO, Mailbox and Message queue in terms of inter-task communication for each distribution. These rules can be helpful for deciding which real-time linux extension should be used with respect to the requirements of the real-time applications.
Supported by : 서울과학기술대학교
- B. W. Choi "A Review and Outlook of Robotic Software Framework," Journal of Korean Robotic Society, vol5, no.2, pp. 169-176, 2010.
- W. S. Liu, Real-Time Systems, Prentice Hall, 2000.
- Tim Bird, Comparing two approaches to real-time Linux, www.linuxdevices.com, 2002.
- Kevin Dankwardt, Comparing real-time Linux alternatives, www.linuxdevices.com, 2000.
- D. Abbout, Linux for Embedded and Real-time Applications, Elsevier, 2006.
- N. Vun, H. F. Hor, and J. W. Chao, "Real-time Enhancements for Embedded Linux," 4th IEEE Int. Conf. on Parallel and Distributed Systems, pp. 737-740, 2008.
- RTAI - the Real-time Application Interface for Linux from DIAMP, http://www.rtai.org.
- The Xenomai Project, http://www.xenomai.org.
- The ADEOS Project, http://home.gna.org/adeos.
- E. C. Shin and B. W. Choi, "Implementation of a momobile robot control platform using real-time embedded linux," Journal of Control, Automation, and Systems (in Korean), vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 194-200, Feb. 2006. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2006.12.2.194
- B. W. Choi, D. G. Shin, J. H. Park, S. Y. Yi, and S. Gerald, "Real-time control architecture using Xenomai for intelligent service robot in USN environments," Journal of Intelligent Service Robotics, vol. 2, pp. 139-151, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11370-009-0040-0
- S. M. Hong, Y. H. Oh, B. J. You, and S. R. Oh, "A walking pattern generation method of humanoid robot MAHRU-R," Journal of Intelligent Service Robotics, vol. 2, pp. 161- 171, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11370-009-0039-6
- Comparison between VxWorks, QNX and PSosSystem. Real Time Magazine,
- J. H. Park, S. Y. Yi, and B. W. Choi, "Implementation of dual-kernel based control system and evaluationof real- time control performance for intelligent robots," Journal Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 1117-1123, Nov. 2008. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2008.14.11.1117
- A. Barbalace, A. Lunchetta, G. Manduchi, M. Moro, A. Soppelsa, and C. Taliercio, "Performance Comparison of VxWorks, Linux, RTAI and XENOMAI in a Hard Real-time Application," Proc. of Real-Time Conference 2007 15th IEEE-NPSS, pp. 1-5, May 2007.
- M. Franke, A Quantitative Comparison of Realtime Linux Solutions, Chemnitz University of Technology, 2007.
- Xenomai homepage, http://www.xenomai.org/documentation/xenomai-2.3/pdf/Native-API-Tour-rev-C.pdf.