- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Nutritional Status among Elderly Korean Women and Related Factors
간이영양상태조사지(Mini Nutritional Assessment)로 조사한 일개 복지관 여성노인의 영양상태 평가와 관련요인 분석
Kim, So-Hyun;ChoiKwon, Smi
- Received : 2012.01.11
- Accepted : 2012.04.13
- Published : 2012.04.30
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the nutritional status of elderly Korean women and to investigate related factors. Methods: A total of 100 elderly women attending a local elderly welfare center were recruited for study. Evaluation criteria included demographics, clinical status, nutritional status (using a mini-nutritional assessment), food intake, and nutritional bioparameters, including homocysteine, transferrin, prealbumin and lymphocyte levels, and their antioxidant power status. Results: Among the test group, 83% of the subjects were classified as undernourished, and they often had hyperlipidemia and a lower intake of fiber (
Aged;Nutritional status;Nutritional assessment;Social support;Chronic disease
- Benzie, I. F., & Strain, J. J. (1996). The ferric reducing ability of plasma (FRAP) as a measure of "antioxidant power": the FRAP assay. Analytical Biochemistry, 239(1), 70-76. https://doi.org/10.1006/abio.1996.0292
- Brown, L., Rosner, B., Willett, W. W., & Sacks, F. M. (1999). Cholesterol-lowering effects of dietary fiber: a meta-analysis. Americal Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 69, 30-42. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/69.1.30
- Brownie, S. (2006). Why are elderly individuals at risk of nutritional deficiency? International Journal of Nursing Practice, 12, 110-118. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-172X.2006.00557.x
- Cho, M. J., Bae, J. N., Suh, G. H., Hahm, B. J., Kim, J. K., Lee, D. W., et al. (1999). Validation of geriatric depression scale, Korean versiion (GDS) in the assessment of DSM-III-R major depression. Journal of Korean Neuropsychologic Association, 38(1), 48-62.
- Choi-Kwon, S., Park, K. A., Lee, H. J., Park, M. S., Lee, J. H., Jeon, S. E., et al. (2004). Temporal changes in cerebral antioxidant enzyme activities after ischemia and reperfusion in a rat focal brain ischemia model: effect of dietary fish oil. Developmental Brain Research, 152(1), 11-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.devbrainres.2004.05.004
- Choi, S. H., & Choi-Kwon, S. (2011). The metabolic syndrome and associated lifestyle factors among older adluts. Journal of Korean Bjological Nursing Science, 13(1), 53-60.
- Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd Edition), New York: Psychology press.
- Ford, E. S., Mokdad, A. H., Giles, W. H., & Brown, D. W. (2003). The metabolic syndrome and antioxidant concentrations: findings from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Diabetes, 52, 2346-2352. https://doi.org/10.2337/diabetes.52.9.2346
- Franz, M. J., Horton, E. S., Bantle, J. P., & Beebe, C. A. (1994). Nutrition principles for the management of diabetes and related complication. Diabetes Care, 17, 490-518. https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.17.5.490
- Humphreys, V., Martin, R. M., Ratcliffe, B., Duthie, S., Wood, S., Gunnell, D., et al. (2007). Age-related increases in DNA repair and antioxidant protection: A comparison of the Boyd Orr Cohort of elderly subjects with a younger population sample. Age & Ageing, 36, 521-526. https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afm107
- Inal, M. E., Kanbak, G., & Sunal, E. (2001). Antioxidant enzyme activities and malondialdehyde levels related to aging, Clinica Chimica acta : International Journal of Clinical Chemistry, 305(1-2), 75-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-8981(00)00422-8
- Kim, H. J., Kim, M. K., Kim, J. U., Ha, H. Y., & Choi, B. Y. (2010). Major determinants of serum homocysteine concentrations in a Korean population. Journal of Korean Medical Science, 25, 509-516. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2010.25.4.509
- Korean Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2009). The Fourth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey IV (KNHANES IV). Seoul: Author.
- Lee, G. S. (2004). Nutritional Evaluation by using Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA) and relating factors of postoperative recovery for elderly in Gastric Cancer. Unpublished master's thesis, Kosin University, Busan.
- Lee, H. J., Park, S. J., Kim, C. I., Chang, K. J., Yim, K. S., Kim, K., et al. (2003). Evaluating nutrient intakes of Korean elderly using semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition, 8, 311-318.
- Lim, H. S., & Kim, S. K. (2008). Comparative of the nutritional atatus and correlation of cardiovascular disease in type II diabetes mellitus patients with metabolic syndromes. Korean Journal of Nutrition, 41, 327-340.
- Lim, K. A., Kim, H. S., Seo, J. W., & Lee, S. J. (1999). The utility of serum prealbumin concentrations for short-term nutritional assessment in patients with acute diarrhea. Journal of Korean Pediatric Society, 42, 88-93.
- Mclntosh, W. A., Shifflett, P. A., & Picou, J. S. (1989). Social support, stressful events, starin, dietary intake, and the elderly. Medical Care, 27(2), 141-153.
- Miller, D. M., & Aust, S. D. (1989). Studies of ascorbate-dependent, iron-catalyzed lipid peroxidation. Archives of Biochemistry & Biophysics, 271, 113-120. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9861(89)90261-0
- Mitchell, P. H., Powell, L., Blumenthal., J., Norten, J., Ironson, G., Pitula, C. R., et al. (2003). A short cocial support measure for patients recovering from myocardial infarction. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation, 23, 398-403. https://doi.org/10.1097/00008483-200311000-00001
- Nakagawa, S., & Cuthill, I. C. (2007). Effect size, confidence interval ans statistical significance: a practical guide for biologists. Biological Review, 82, 591-605. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-185X.2007.00027.x
- National Hypertension Center data. (2006). Retrieved April 7, 2006, from http://www.hypertension.or.kr
- Park, J. H., & Kwon, Y. C. (1990). Modification of the mini-mental state examination for use in the elderly in a non-western society. Part 1. Development of Korean version of mini-mental state examination. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 5, 381-387. https://doi.org/10.1002/gps.930050606
- Park, K. A., Kim, S., Park, Y. H., Suh, E. Y., Park, M. S., Kim, E. S., et al. (2010). A study on the health and nutritional status and nutrient intakes in elderly Korean female. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 12(1), 39-47.
- Smoliner, C., Norman, K., Wagner, K. H., Hartig, W., Lochs, H., & Pirlich, M. (2009). Malnutrition and depression in the institutionalised elderly. British Journal of Nutrition, 102, 1663-1667. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114509990900
- Thavanati, P. K., Kanala, K. R., de Dios, A. E., & Garza, J. M. (2008). Age-related correlation between antioxidant enzymes and DNA damage with smoking and body mass index, Journals of Gerontology Series A. Biological Sciences & Medical Sciences, 63A, 360-364.
- The Korean Nutrition Society. (2010). Dietary Reference of Intake for Koreans. Seoul: Author.
- Vellas, B. M., Guigoz, Y., Garry, P. J., Nourhashemi, F., Bennahum, D., Lauque, S., et al. (1999). The Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA) and its use in grading the nutritional state of elderly patients, Nutition, 15(2), 116-122.
- Yang, E. J. (2009). The analysis of geriatric nutritional risk index (GNRI) for nutritional assessment and health care in elderly women. Korean Journal of Nutrition, 42, 234-245. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2009.42.3.234
- Antioxidant Capacity and Associated Factors during the Chronic Phase after Stroke vol.16, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2014.16.1.52
- Nutritional Status and Risk Factors for Malnutrition in Low-income Urban Elders vol.44, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2014.44.6.708
- Comparison of Health Status and Mini Nutritional Assessment according to Self-esteem of Elderly in Care Hospital vol.25, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.17495/easdl.2015.8.25.4.631
- The effects of the DASH diet education program with omega-3 fatty acid supplementation on metabolic syndrome parameters in elderly women with abdominal obesity vol.9, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2015.9.2.150
- Factors Influencing Physical Activity in Elderly Women at Senior Citizen Centers vol.22, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2015.22.3.236
- Study on Relevance of Nutritional Status, Nutrient Intake, and Chronic Disease Risk based on Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA) of Elderly People in Shandong Province of China vol.28, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2017.28.1.5
- Development of NQ-E, Nutrition Quotient for Korean elderly: item selection and validation of factor structure vol.51, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2018.51.1.87