- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Artificial Neural Network for Prediction of Distant Metastasis in Colorectal Cancer
- Biglarian, Akbar (Department of Biostatistics, Pediatric Neurorehabilitation Research Center, University of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation Sciences) ;
- Bakhshi, Enayatollah (Department of Biostatistics, Pediatric Neurorehabilitation Research Center, University of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation Sciences) ;
- Gohari, Mahmood Reza (Department of Biostatistics, Hospital Management Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Khodabakhshi, Reza (Radiation Oncology Department, Fayazbakhsh Hospital)
- Published : 2012.03.31
Background and Objectives: Artificial neural networks (ANNs) are flexible and nonlinear models which can be used by clinical oncologists in medical research as decision making tools. This study aimed to predict distant metastasis (DM) of colorectal cancer (CRC) patients using an ANN model. Methods: The data of this study were gathered from 1219 registered CRC patients at the Research Center for Gastroenterology and Liver Disease of Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran (January 2002 and October 2007). For prediction of DM in CRC patients, neural network (NN) and logistic regression (LR) models were used. Then, the concordance index (C index) and the area under receiver operating characteristic curve (AUROC) were used for comparison of neural network and logistic regression models. Data analysis was performed with R 2.14.1 software. Results: The C indices of ANN and LR models for colon cancer data were calculated to be 0.812 and 0.779, respectively. Based on testing dataset, the AUROC for ANN and LR models were 0.82 and 0.77, respectively. This means that the accuracy of ANN prediction was better than for LR prediction. Conclusion: The ANN model is a suitable method for predicting DM and in that case is suggested as a good classifier that usefulness to treatment goals.
- Ahmed (2005). Artificial neural networks for diagnosis and survival prediction in colon cancer. Mol cancer, 4, 29. Available at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0 https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-4598-4-29
- Alladi SM, Santosh S, Ravi V, et al (2008). Colon cancer prediction with genetic profiles using intelligent techniques. Bioinformation, 3, 130-3. https://doi.org/10.6026/97320630003130
- American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts and Figures 2011. Available at http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/content/@epidemiologysurveilance/documents/document/acspc-029771.pdf
- American Joint Committee on Cancer: AJCC 7th edition (2010). Colon and Rectum Cancer Staging poster. available at www.cancerstaging.org/staging/posters/colon24x30.pdf
- Anand SS, Smith AE, Hamilton PW, et al (1999). An evaluation of intelligent prognostic systems for colorectal cancer. Artif Intell Med, 15, 193-214. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0933-3657(98)00052-9
- Asghari-Jafarabadi M, Hajizadeh E, Kazemnejad A, et al (2009). Site-specific evaluation of prognostic factors on survivial in Iranian colorectal cancer patients, A competing risks survival analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 1, 815-22.
- Baltzer PAT, Dietzel A, Vag T, et al (2010). Application of artificial neural networks for the prediction of lymph node metastases to the ipsilateral axilla - initial experience in 194 patients using magnetic resonance mammography. Acta Radiol, 51,851-8. https://doi.org/10.3109/02841851.2010.498444
- Bingham SA, Day NE, Luben R, et al (2003). Dietary fiber in food and protection against colorectal cancer in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC), an observational study. Lancet, 361, 1496-501. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)13174-1
- Bishop CM, Neural Networks for pattern recognition. Oxford University Press, New York, 1997.
- Bittern R, Cuschieri A, Dolgobrodov SD, et al (2005). An artificial neural network for analyzing the survival of patients with colorectal cancer. ESANN'2005 proceeding-Uropean symposium on artificial neural networks, Bruges (Belgium), 27-9, ISBN 2-930307-05-6.
- Bollschweiler EH, Mönig SP, Hensler K, et al (2004). Artificial neural network for prediction of lymph node metastases in gastric cancer, a phase II diagnostic study. Ann Surg Oncol, 11, 506-11. https://doi.org/10.1245/ASO.2004.04.018
- Bottaci L, Drew PJ, Hartley JE, et al (1997). Artificial neural networks applied to outcome prediction for colorectal cancer patients in separate institutions. Lancet, 350, 469-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(96)11196-X
- Boyle P, Langman JS (2000). ABC of colorectal cancer. BMJ, 321, 805-8. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.321.7264.805
- Coghlin C, Murray GI (2010). Current and emerging concepts in tumour metastasis. J Pathol, 222, 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1002/path.2727
- Corrao G, Bagnardi V, Zambon A, et al (2004). A meta-analysis of alcohol consumption and the risk of 15 diseases. Prev Med, 38, 613-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2003.11.027
- Disibio G, French SW (2008). Metastatic patterns of cancer, results from a large autopsy study. Arch Pathol Lab Med, 132, 931-9.
- Darby E, Nettimi T, Kodali S, et al (2005). Head and neck cancer metastasis prediction via artificial neural networks. This paper appears in, Computational Systems Bioinformatics Conference, Workshops and Poster Abstracts. IEEE: 43 - 4.
- Fathy SK (2011). A predication survival model for colorectal cancer. published in: proceeding AMERICAN-MATH'11/ CEA'11 Proceedings of the 2011 American conference on applied mathematics and the 5th WSEAS international conference on Computer engineering and applications, 36-42.
- Ferlay J, Parkin DM, Steliarova-Foucher E (2010). GLOBOCAN 2008, cancer incidence and mortality worldwide. IARC cancer base No. 10, Lyon: International Agency for Research on Cancer. Available at http://globocan.iarc.fr.
- Giovannucci E (2002) Modifiable risk factors for colon cancer. Gastroenterol Clin North Am, 31, 925-43.
- Gohari MR, Biglarian A, Bakhshi E, et al (2011). Artificial neural network to determine the prognostic factors in colorectal cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1469-72.
- Grumett S, Snow P, Kerr D (2003). Neural networks in the prediction of survival in patients with colorectal cancer. Clin Colorectal Cancer, 2, 239-44. https://doi.org/10.3816/CCC.2003.n.005
- Islamic Republic of Iran, Ministry of Health and Medical Education, Office of Deputy , Center for Diseases Control, Cancer office. Iranian Annual National Cancer Registration Report 2005-2006. March 2007.
- Kan T, Shimada Y, Sato F, et al (2004). Prediction of lymph node metastasis with use of artificial neural networks based on gene expression profiles in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol, 11, 1070-8. https://doi.org/10.1245/ASO.2004.03.007
- Kelsall HL, Baglietto L, Muller D, et al (2009). The effect of socioeconomic status on survival from colorectal cancer in the Melbourne Collaborative Cohort Study. Soc Sci Med, 68, 290-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2008.09.070
- Kyung-Joong Kim, Sung-Bae Cho (2004). Prediction of colon cancer using an evolutionary neural network. Neurocomputing, 61, 361-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neucom.2003.11.008
- Lee SM, Kang JO, Suh YM (2004). Comparison of hospital charge prediction models for colorectal cancer patients, neural network vs. decision tree models. J Korean Med Sci, 19, 677-81. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2004.19.5.677
- Missaoui N, Jaidaine L, Ben Abdelkader A, et al (2010). Clinicopathological patterns of colorectal cancer in Tunisia. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 11, 1719-22.
- Moghimi-Dehkordi B, Safaee A, Zali MR (2008). Prognostic factors in 1,138 Iranian colorectal cancer patients. Int J Colorectal Dis, 4, 683-8.
- Moradi A, Khayamzadeh M, Guya MM, et al (2009). Survival of colorectal cancer in Iran. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 10, 583-6.
- National Cancer Institute (2010). Available at http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Sites-Types/metastatic.
- Parkin DM (2004). International variation. Oncogene, 23, 6329-40. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1207726
- Sung JJ, Lau JY, Goh KL, et al (2005). Increasing incidence of colorectal cancer in Asia, implications for screening. Lancet Oncol, 6, 871-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(05)70422-8
- Talmadge JE, Fidler IJ (2010). AACR centennial series, the biology of cancer metastasis, historical perspective. Cancer Res, 70, 5649-69. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-10-1040
- World Health Statistics Annual (2010). WHO Databank, 2010. Available at http://www-dep.iarc.fr/.
- Novel biomarkers for the prediction of metastasis in colorectal cancer vol.7, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1517/17530059.2013.753054
- Comparison of the Performance of Log-logistic Regression and Artificial Neural Networks for Predicting Breast Cancer Relapse vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5883
- Prediction of Lung Cancer Based on Serum Biomarkers by Gene Expression Programming Methods vol.15, pp.21, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.21.9367
- Effective Attributes in Colorectal Cancer Relapse Using Artificial Neural Network and Cox Proportional Hazards Regression vol.2, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.17795/acr-22329
- Prediction of excess weight loss after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: data from an artificial neural network vol.30, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00464-015-4225-7
- Prediction of 5–year overall survival in cervical cancer patients treated with radical hysterectomy using computational intelligence methods vol.17, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-017-3806-3
- Comparison of Breast Cancer Risk Predictive Models and Screening Strategies for Chinese Women vol.26, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2015.5692
- Comparison of three data mining models for prediction of advanced schistosomiasis prognosis in the Hubei province vol.12, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0006262