- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Epidemiology of Esophageal Cancer in Kazakhstan
- Igissinov, Saginbek (Central Asia Cancer Institute) ;
- Igissinov, Nurbek (Central Asia Cancer Institute) ;
- Moore, Malcolm A. (UICC Asian Regional Office for Cancer Control) ;
- Kalieva, Zhansaya (Kazakh Research Institute of Oncology and Radiology) ;
- Kozhakhmetov, Saken (Central Asia Cancer Institute)
- Published : 2012.03.31
The incidence of esophageal cancer in Kazakhstan was analysed for the period of 1989-2010 years, with a focus on trends by age, gender and region. The highest rates of incidence were evident in the Western regions. The dynamics for cancer of the esophagus in the Republic demonstrated decrease, except in the Karaganda region, where a tendency for increase was noted. Considerable variation between regions pointed to differences in risk factor exposure which need to be targeted for future control efforts.
- Akhtiamov MG, Kairakbaev MK (1983). Incidence of esophageal cancer on the plains and in the mountainous regions of the Kazakh SSR. Vopr Onkol, 29, 49-53 (in Russian).
- Bhurgri Y, Faridi N, Kazi LA, et al (2004). Cancer esophagus Karachi 1995-2002: epidemiology, risk factors and trends. J Pak Med Assoc, 54, 345-8.
- Cherian JV, Sivaraman R, Muthusamy AK, Jayanthi V (2007). Carcinoma of the esophagus in Tamil Nadu (South India): 16-year trends from a tertiary center. J Gastrointestin Liver Dis, 16, 245-9.
- Davydov MI, Aksel' EM (2007). The incidence of malignant tumors and mortality caused by them in Commonwealth of Independent States in 2005. Vestn Ross Akad Med Nauk, 11, 45-9 ( in Russian).
- Evstifeeva TV, Zaridze DG (1992). Nass use, cigarette smoking, alcohol consumption and risk of oral and oesophageal precancer. Eur J Cancer B Oral Oncol, 28, 29-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/0964-1955(92)90008-O
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010).GLOBOCAN 2008 v1.2, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide: IARC CancerBase No. 10 [Internet].Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer; 2010. Available from: http://globocan.iarc.fr, accessed on 7.5.2012.
- Fernandes ML, Seow A, Chan YH, Ho KY (2006). Opposing trends in incidence of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma and adenocarcinoma in a multi-ethnic Asian country. Am J Gastroenterol, 101, 1430-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2006.00570.x
- Guo B, Huang Z-L (2011). Esophageal cancer mortality trends in rural and urban China between 1987 and 2009. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2105-10.
- He YT, Hou J, Chen ZF, et al (2008). Trends in incidence of esophageal and gastric cardia cancer in high-risk areas in China. Eur J Cancer Prev, 17, 71-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/CEJ.0b013e3282b6fd97
- Igisinov S, Soodonbekov E, Igisinov N, Subanbaev T (2002). Epidemiology of esophagus, lung and breast cancer in mountainous regions of Kyrgyz Republic. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 3, 73-6.
- Igissinov N, Igissinov S, Moore MA, et al (2011). Trends of prevalent cancer incidences in the Aral-Syr Darya ecological area of Kazakhstan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2299-303.
- Ito Y, Ioka A, Nakayama T, Tsukuma H, Nakamura T (2011). Comparison of trends in cancer incidence and mortality in Osaka, Japan, using an age-period-cohort model. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1451-7.
- Jung K-W, Shin H-R, Kong H-J, et al (2005). Long-term trends in cancer mortality in Korea (1983-2007): A joinpoint regression analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 130-4.
- Lagiou P, Talamini R, Samoli E, et al (2009). Diet and upperaerodigestive tract cancer in Europe: the ARCAGE study. Int J Cancer, 124, 2671-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.24246
- Lu CL, Lang HC, Luo JC, et al (2010). Increasing trend of the incidence of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma, but not adenocarcinoma, in Taiwan. Cancer Causes Control, 21, 269-74. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-009-9458-0
- Moore MA, Aitmurzaeva G, Arsykulov ZA, et al (2009). Chronic disease prevention research in Central Asia, the Urals, Siberia and Mongolia - past, present and future. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 987-96 .
- Moore MA, Eser S, Igisinov N, et al (2010). Cancer epidemiology and control in North-Western and Central Asia - past, present and future. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11 Suppl, 17-32.
- Mosavi-Jarrahi A, Mohagheghi MA (2006). Epidemiology of esophageal cancer in the high-risk population of Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 375-80.
- Semnani S, Sadjadi A, Fahimi S, et al (2006). Declining incidence of esophageal cancer in the Turkmen Plain, eastern part of the Caspian Littoral of Iran: a retrospective cancer surveillance. Cancer Detect Prev, 30, 14-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cdp.2005.11.002
- Siassi F, Ghadirian P (2005). Riboflavin deficiency and esophageal cancer: a case control-household study in the Caspian Littoral of Iran. Cancer Detect Prev, 29, 464-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cdp.2005.08.001
- Siassi F, Pouransari Z, Ghadirian P (2000). Nutrient intake and esophageal cancer in the Caspian littoral of Iran: a casecontrol study. Cancer Detect Prev, 24, 295-303.
- Su M, Liu M, Tian DP, et al (2007). Temporal trends of esophageal cancer during 1995-2004 in Nanao Island, an extremely high-risk area in China. Eur J Epidemiol, 22, 43-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10654-006-9086-x
- Sun XB, Liu ZC, Liu SZ, et al (2007). Descriptive analysis of incidence and time trends of esophageal and gastric cancers in Linzhou city. Zhonghua Zhong Liu Za Zhi, 29, 764-7 (in Chinese).
- Tse LA, Yu IT, Mang OW (2007). Time trends of esophageal cancer in Hong Kong: age, period and birth cohort analyses. Int J Cancer, 120, 853-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.22382
- Trivers KF, Sabatino SA, Stewart SL (2008). Trends in esophageal cancer incidence by histology, United States, 1998-2003. Int J Cancer, 123, 1422-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.23691
- Vuong DA, Velasco-Garrido M, Lai TD, Busse R (2010) Temporal trends of cancer incidence in Vietnam, 1993-2007. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 739-45.
- Wei W-Q, Yang J, Zhang S-W, Chen W-Q, Qiao Y-L (2011). Esophageal cancer mortality trends during the last 30 years in high risk areas in China: Comparison results from National Death Surveys Conducted in the 1970's, 1990's and 2004- 2005. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1821-6.
- Yazdizadeh B, Mosavi-Jarrahi A, Mortazavi H, et al (2005). Time trends in the occurrence of major GI cancers in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 130-4.
- Yeole BB (2008). Trends in cancer incidence in esophagus, stomach, colon, rectum and liver in males in India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 97-100.
- Zaridze DG, Blettner M, Trapeznikov NN, et al (1985). Survey of a population with a high incidence of oral and oesophageal cancer. Int J Cancer, 36, 153-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.2910360205
- Zaridze DG, Bukin IuV, Orlov EN, et al (1989). Relationship between the character of pathological changes in the esophageal mucosa and deficiency of several vitamins in a population with high incidence of esophageal cancer. Vopr Onkol, 35, 939-45 (in Russian).
- Zaridze D, Evstifeeva T, Boyle P (1993). Chemoprevention of oral leukoplakia and chronic esophagitis in an area of high incidence of oral and esophageal cancer. Ann Epidemiol, 3, 225-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/1047-2797(93)90023-W
- Zhang J, Dhakal IB, Zhao Z, Li L (2012). Trends in mortality from cancers of the breast, colon, prostate, esophagus, and stomach in East Asia: role of nutrition transition. Eur J Cancer Prev, (in Press).
- Laryngeal Cancer in Kazakhstan - Ethnic, Age and Gender Differences over Time vol.14, pp.11, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.7033
- Component Analysis of Esophageal Cancer Incidence in Kazakhstan vol.14, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1945
- Epidemiological Evaluation of Laryngeal Cancer Incidence in Kazakhstan for The Years 1999-2009 vol.14, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3969
- Epidemiology of Esophageal Cancer in Ardabil Province During 2003-2011 vol.14, pp.7, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4177
- Overview of Cancer Registration Research in the Asian Pacific from 2008-2013 vol.14, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4461
- Epidemiological Assessment of Leukemia in Kazakhstan, 2003-2012 vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6969
- Prevalence of Esophageal Cancer in the Northern Part of Afghanistan vol.15, pp.24, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.24.10981
- Health-related quality of life of esophageal cancer patients in daily life after treatment: A multicenter cross-sectional study in China pp.20457634, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/cam4.1817