- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of Self-Efficacy on Turkish Children's Perceptions of the Advantages/Disadvantages of Smoking
- Ulgen, Hanife (Agri Ibrahim Cecen University, Health School) ;
- Ozturk, Candan (Dokuz Eylul University, Faculty of Nursing) ;
- Armstrong, Merry (College of Nursing, Washington State University)
- Published : 2012.03.31
Objective: This descriptive, cross sectional study was conducted to examine the effect of levels of self-efficacy on children's perceptions of pros and cons of smoking. Methodology: The sample was 233 fifth-grade students. Data were collected in September 2010 using the Socio-Demographic Data Collection Form, Self Efficacy Scale Child Form and Child Decision Balance Scale and analyzed via percentage calculations and t test with the SPSS 11.00 statistical package program. Results: Average age of the students participating in the research was
- ABandura A (1989). Social cognitive theory. In R. Vatsa (Ed.). Annuals of Child Development. Vol. 6. Six Theories of Child Development. Greenwich, CT: JAI Press, 6, 1-60
- Bektas M (2009). Investigation of effect of developed smoking prevention program toward primary school student. Unpublished doctorate thesis. Dokuz Eylul University, Health Sciences Institute. Izmir.
- Bektas M, Ozturk C, Armstrong M (2010). Psychometric properties of a translated decisional balance scale for assessing and predicting children's smoking status. Anatolian J Psychiatry, 11, 327-34.
- Chang FC, Lee CM, Lai HR, et al (2006). Social influences and self- efficacy as predictors of youth smoking initiation and cessation: a 3-year longitudinal study of vocational high school students in Taiwan. Addiction, 101, 1645-55. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.2006.01607.x
- Chen HS, Horner SD, Percy MS, et al (2008). Stages of smoking acquisition of young Taiwanese adolescents: Self-efficacy and decisional balance. Res Nursing Health, 31, 119-29. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.20236
- Erguder T (2008). The WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. [Accessed: December 4, 2010] Available from: http://www.ssuk.org.tr/belgeler/tutun_kontrolu_cerceve_sozlesmesi.pdf
- Gurbuz K (2006). School health nursing interventions to acquire positive health behaviours.Unpublished master thesis. Kocaeli University, Kocaeli.
- Keskinoglu P, Karakuş N, Pıcakciefe M, et al (2006). Smoking prevalence among high school students in Izmir and ınfluences of social learning on smoking behaviour. Toraks Dergisi, 7, 190-5.
- Kim YH (2004). Psychological constructs to predicting smoking behavior among Korean secondary school students. Prev Med, 38, 620-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2003.12.010
- Kim YH (2006). Adolescents' smoking behavior and its relationships with psychological constructs based on transtheoretical model: A cross-sectional survey. Int J Nursing Studies, 43, 439-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2005.06.008
- Global Youth Tobacco Survey (2003). [Accessed: December 4, 2010] Available from: http://www.havanikoru.org.tr/Docs_Arastirmalar/Kuresel_Genclik_Tutun_Arastirmasi.pdf
- Maassen ITHM, Kremers SPJ, Mudde AN, et al (2004). Smoking initiation among Gambian adolescents: social cognitive influences and the effect of cigarette sampling. Health Education Res, 9, 551-60.
- Maher RA, Rickwood D (1997). The theory of planned behavior, domain specific self-efficacy and adolescent smoking. J Child & Adolescent Substance Abuse, 6, 57-76.
- Ogel K, Tamar D, Evren C, et al (2001). Tobacco, alcohol and drug use among high school students. Turk Psikiyatri Dergisi, 12, 47-52.
- Report on the global tobacco epidemic (2009). World Health Organization. [Accessed: December 4, 2010] Available from: http://www.who.int/tobacco/mpower/2009/gtcr_download/en/index.html
- Sarı HY, Oztürk C (2005). The effect of education on harms of smoking to elementary school students on their approach to smoking. Nursing Forum, ?, 74-8.
- Sherer M, Maddux JE, Mercandante B, et al (1982). The self efficacy scale construction and validation. Psyhological Reports, 51, 663-71. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.1918.104.22.1683
- Tobacco Control Policies in Turkey (2010). World Health Organization, Europe. [Accessed: December 4, 2010] Available from: http://www.ssuk.org.tr/pdf/TurkiyedeTutunKontroluPolitikalari.pdf
- Ulgen G (1997). Egitim Psikolojisi. Ankara: Alkim Yayinevi.
- Velicer WF, DiClemente CC, Prochaska JO, et al (1985). Decisional balance measure for assessing and predicting smoking status. J Personality & Social Psychology, 48, 1279-89. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1249
- Effects of Perceived Parental Attitudes on Children's Views of Smoking vol.14, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2615
- Effects of Student Perceptions of Social Skills on their Perception of Smoking vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5937
- Effects of Perceived Smoking-Cancer Relationship and Cardiovascular Health Attitudes on Childrens' Views of Smoking vol.16, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2801
- The psychometric properties of the Turkish version of the smoking outcome expectation scale and the anti-smoking self-efficacy scale for early adolescents vol.22, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/14659891.2017.1296042
- The effects of parental feeding styles, children’s self-efficacy and social anxiety on adolescent obesity vol.30, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1590/1678-98652017000600008
- Effects of adolescents’ self-efficacy and social anxiety on attitudes toward pros and cons of smoking pp.1475-9942, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/14659891.2018.1459899