- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Adenovirus-mediated Double Suicide Gene Selectively Kills Gastric Cancer Cells
- Luo, Xian-Run (Department of Gastroenterology, the First Affiliated Hospital of ZhengZhou University) ;
- Li, Jian-Sheng (Department of Gastroenterology, the First Affiliated Hospital of ZhengZhou University) ;
- Niu, Ying (Department of Gastroenterology, the First Affiliated Hospital of ZhengZhou University) ;
- Miao, Li (Henan Provincial Corps Hospital, Chinese People's Armed Police Forces)
- Published : 2012.03.31
The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of the adenovirus-mediated double suicide gene (CD/TK) for selective killing of gastric cancer cells. Gastric cancer cells SCG7901 and normal gastric epithelial cell lines were infected by adenoviruses Ad-survivin/GFP and Ad-survivin/CD/TK. GFP expression and CD-TK were detected by fluorescence microscopy and reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), respectively. After treatment of the infected cells with the pro-drugs ganciclovir (GCV) and/or 5-FC, the cell growth status was evaluated by methyl thiazolyl tetrazolium assay. Cell cycle changes were detected using flow cytometry. In nude mice bearing human gastric cancer, the recombinant adenovirus vector was injected directly into the tumor followed by an intraperitoneal injection of GCV and/or 5-FC. The subsequent tumor growth was then observed. The GFP gene driven by survivin could be expressed within the gastric cancer line SCG7901, but not in normal gastric epithelial cells. RT-PCR demonstrated the presence of the CD/TK gene product in the infected SCG7901 cells, but not in the infected normal gastric epithelial cells. The infected gastric cancer SCG7901, but not the gastric cells, was highly sensitive to the pro-drugs. The CD/TK fusion gene system showed significantly greater efficiency than either of the single suicide genes in killing the target cells (P<0.01). Treatment of the infected cells with the pro-drugs resulted in increased cell percentage in G0-Gl phase and decreased percentage in S phase. In nude mice bearing SCG7901 cells, treatment with the double suicide gene system significantly inhibited tumor growth, showing much stronger effects than either of the single suicide genes (P<0.01). The adenovirus-mediated CD/TK double suicide gene driven by survivin promoter combined with GCV an 5-FC treatment could be an effective therapy against experimental gastric cancer with much greater efficacy than the single suicide gene CD/TK combined with GCV or 5-FC.
- Bilsland AE, Merron A, Vassaux G, Keith WN (2007). Modulation of telomerase promoter tumor selectivity in the context of oncolytic adenoviruses. Cancer Res, 67, 1299-307. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-06-3000
- Boulaiz H, Prados J, Marchal JA, et al (2005). Modulation of Ki-67 expression and morphological changes induced by gef gene in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells. Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand), 51, 87-92.
- Brade AM, Szmitko P, Ngo D, Liu FF, Klamut HJ (2003). Heatdirected suicide gene therapy for breast cancer. Cancer Gene Ther, 10, 294-301. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.cgt.7700570
- Dicken BJ, Bigam DL, Cass C, et al (2005). Gastric adenocarcinoma: review and considerations for future directions. Ann Surg, 241, 27-39.
- Eisold S, Antolovic D, Schmidt J, et al (2006). Effective antitumoral immune responses are not induced by cytosine deaminase suicide gene transfer in a syngeneic rat pancreatic carcinoma model. Eur Surg Res, 38, 513-21. https://doi.org/10.1159/000096070
- Girald W, Collin A, Izquierdo M (2011). Toxicity and delivery methods for the linamarase/linamarin/glucose oxidase system, when used against human glioma tumors implanted in the brain of nude rats. Cancer Lett, 313, 99-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2011.08.029
- Goya RG, Sarkar DK, Brown OA, Herenu CB (2004). Potential of gene therapy for the treatment of pituitary tumors. Curr Gene Ther, 4, 79-87. https://doi.org/10.2174/1566523044578086
- Jiang CG, Liu FR, Yu M, Li JB, Xu HM (2010). Cimetidine induces apoptosis in gastric cancer cells in vitro and inhibits tumor growth in vivo. Oncol Rep, 23, 693-700.
- Kuramoto M, Shimada S, Ikeshima S, et al (2009). Extensive intraoperative peritoneal lavage as a standard prophylactic strategy for peritoneal recurrence in patients with gastric carcinoma. Ann Surg, 250, 242-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e3181b0c80e
- Li Y, Sun DL, Duan YN, et al (2010). Association of functional polymorphisms in MMPs genes with gastric cardia adenocarcinoma and esophageal squamous cell carcinoma in high incidence region of North China. Mol Biol Rep, 37, 197-205. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-009-9593-4
- Luo XR, Li JS, Niu Y, Miao L (2011). Targeted killing effects of double CD and TK suicide genes controlled by survivin promoter on gastric cancer cell. Mol Biol Rep, 38, 1201-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-010-0218-8
- Ma C, Yao K, Zhou F, Zhu M (2006). Comparative immunization in BALB/c mice with recombinant replication-defective adenovirus vector and DNA plasmid expressing a SARSCoV nucleocapsid protein gene. Cell Mol Immunol, 3, 459-65.
- Moriuchi S, Wolfe D, Tamura M, et al (2002). Double suicide gene therapy using a replication defective herpes simplex virus vector reveals reciprocal interference in a malignant glioma model. Gene Ther, 9, 584-91. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.gt.3301693
- Mosmann T (1983). Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods, 65, 55-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1759(83)90303-4
- Patino JF (1994). The current management of gastric cancer. Adv Surg, 27, 1-19.
- Qiu Y, Peng GL, Liu QC, et al (2012). Selective killing of lung cancer cells using carcinoembryonic antigen promoter and double suicide genes, thymidine kinase and cytosine deaminase (pCEA-TK/CD). Cancer Lett, 316, 31-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2011.10.015
- Rittner K, Schreiber V, Erbs P, Lusky M (2007). Targeting of adenovirus vectors carrying a tumor cell-specific peptide: in vitro and in vivo studies. Cancer Gene Ther, 14, 509-18. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.cgt.7701036
- Shang J, Pena AS (2005). Multidisciplinary approach to understand the pathogenesis of gastric cancer. World J Gastroenterol, 11, 4131-9. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v11.i27.4131
- Sharma A, Tandon M, Bangari DS, Mittal SK (2009). Adenoviral vector-based strategies for cancer therapy. Curr Drug ther, 4, 117-38. https://doi.org/10.2174/157488509788185123
- Thompson GB, van Heerden JA, Sarr MG (1993). Adenocarcinoma of the stomach: are we making progress? Lancet, 342, 713-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0140-6736(93)91711-T
- Topuz E, Basaran M, Saip P, et al (2002). Adjuvant intraperitoneal chemotherapy with cisplatinum, mitoxantrone, 5-fluorouracil, and calcium folinate in patients with gastric cancer: a phase II study. Am J Clin Oncol, 25, 619-24. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000421-200212000-00019
- Yamamoto K, Fujiwara Y, Nishida T, et al (2009). Induction chemotherapy with docetaxel, 5-FU and CDDP (DFP) for advanced gastric cancer. Anticancer Res, 29, 4211-5.
- Zwacka RM, Dunlop MG (1998). Gene therapy for colon cancer. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am, 12, 595-615. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0889-8588(05)70010-1
- Thymidine kinase/ganciclovir and cytosine deaminase/5-fluorocytosine suicide gene therapy-induced cell apoptosis in breast cancer cells vol.30, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3892/or.2013.2562
- Co-expression of ING4 and P53 enhances hypopharyngeal cancer chemosensitivity to cisplatin in vivo vol.14, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2016.5552
- Cytotoxic effect of co-expression of human hepatitis A virus 3C protease and bifunctional suicide protein FCU1 genes in a bicistronic vector vol.44, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-017-4113-4