- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Factors Associated with Attending the National Cancer Screening Program for Liver Cancer in Korea
- Noh, Dai-Keun (National Cancer Control Institute, National Cancer Center) ;
- Choi, Kui-Son (National Cancer Control Institute, National Cancer Center) ;
- Jun, Jae-Kwan (National Cancer Control Institute, National Cancer Center) ;
- Lee, Hoo-Yeon (Department of Social Medicine, College of Medicine, Dankook University) ;
- Park, Eun-Cheol (Department of Preventive Medicine & Institute of Health Services Research, Yonsei University)
- Published : 2012.02.29
Background and Aims: The National Cancer Screening Program (NCSP) for liver cancer was initiated in 2003 in Korea. The objective of this study was to evaluate the participation rate of the program and to provide preliminary information on its results based on data collected by the NCSP in 2009. Methods: The target population of the NCSP for liver cancer in 2009 was comprised of 373,590 adults aged
Supported by : National Cancer Center
- Ando E, Kuromatsu R, Tanaka M, et al. (2006). Surveillance program for early detection of hepatocellular carcinoma in Japan: results of specialized department of liver disease. J Clin Gastroenterol, 40, 942-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.mcg.0000225675.14594.d6
- Benvegnu L, Fattovich G, Noventa F, et al. (1994). Concurrent hepatitis B and C virus infection and risk of hepatocellular carcinoma in cirrhosis. A prospective study. Cancer, 74, 2442-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19941101)74:9<2442::AID-CNCR2820740909>3.0.CO;2-#
- Boyle P, Levin B (Eds) (2008). World cancer report 2008, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon.
- Chen TH, Chen CJ, Yen MF, et al. (2002). Ultrasound screening and risk factors for death from hepatocellular carcinoma in a high risk group in Taiwan. Int J Cancer, 98, 257-61. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.10122
- Colombo M, Kuo G, Choo QL, et al. (1989). Prevalence of antibodies to hepatitis C virus in Italian patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Lancet, 2, 1006-8.
- Daniele B, Bencivenga A, Megna AS, et al. (2004). Alpha-fetoprotein and ultrasonography screening for hepatocellular carcinoma. Gastroenterology, 127, S108- 12. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2004.09.023
- Farmer MM, Bastani R, Kwan L, et al. (2008). Predictors of colorectal cancer screening from patients enrolled in a managed care health plan. Cancer, 112, 1230-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.23290
- Ferlay J, Shin H, Bray F, et al. (2010). GLOBALCAN 2008, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide: IARC Cancer Base No. 10 [internet]. Lyon, france: International Agency for Research on Cancer.
- Han KH, Park JW (2002). The usefulness and current status of the screening program for early diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma. J Korean Med Assoc, 45, 972-80. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2002.45.8.972
- Jung KW, Park S, Kong HJ, et al. (2010). Cancer statistics in Korea: incidence, mortality and survival in 2006-2007. J Korean Med Sci, 25, 1113-21. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2010.25.8.1113
- Kato Y, Nakata K, Omagari K, et al. (1994). Risk of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with cirrhosis in Japan. Analysis of infectious hepatitis viruses. Cancer, 74, 2234-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19941015)74:8<2234::AID-CNCR2820740805>3.0.CO;2-6
- Kim CW, Lee SY, Moon OR (2008). Inequalities in cancer incidence and mortality across income groups and policy implications in South Korea. Public Health, 122, 229-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.puhe.2007.07.003
- Lee EH, Han MA, Lee HY, et al. (2010). Liver cancer screening in Korea: a report on the 2008 National Cancer Screening Programme. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1305-10.
- Meissner HI, Breen N, Klabunde CN, et al. (2006). Patterns of colorectal cancer screening uptake among men and women in the United States. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 15, 389-94. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-05-0678
- Ministry of Health & Welfare, National Cancer Center (2010). Cancer facts & figures 2010 in the republic of Korea. In. Goyang, Korea: National Cancer Center.
- NHS Cancer Screening Programmes (2010a). NHS breast screening programme annual review 2010 [Internet]. In. Sheffield: NHS Cancer Screening Programmes.
- NHS Cancer Screening Programmes (2010b). NHS cervical screening programme annual review 2010 [Internet]. In. Sheffield: NHS Cancer Screening Programmes.
- Oka H, Tamori A, Kuroki T, et al. (1994). Prospective study of alpha-fetoprotein in cirrhotic patients monitored for development of hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology, 19, 61-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.1840190111
- Sangiovanni A, Del Ninno E, Fasani P, et al. (2004). Increased survival of cirrhotic patients with a hepatocellular carcinoma detected during surveillance. Gastroenterology, 126, 1005-14. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2003.12.049
- Won YJ, Sung J, Jung KW, et al. (2009). Nationwide cancer incidence in Korea, 2003-2005. Cancer Res Treat, 41, 122-31. https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2009.41.3.122
- Yoo KY (2008). Cancer control activities in the Republic of Korea. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 38, 327-33. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyn026
- Zhang BH, Yang BH, Tang ZY (2004). Randomized controlled trial of screening for hepatocellular carcinoma. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 130, 417-22.
- Burden of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in Asia vol.13, pp.12, 2012, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.12.5955
- Cancer Screening in Korea, 2012: Results from the Korean National Cancer Screening Survey vol.14, pp.11, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6459
- Factors Associated with Compliance with Recommendations for Liver Cancer Screening in Korea: A Nationwide Survey in Korea vol.8, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0068315
- Factors Associated with Alcohol Consumption in Hepatitis B Carriers: A Nationwide Study in the Republic of Korea vol.9, pp.11, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0110144
- Need to Pay More Attention to Attendance at Follow-Up Consultation after Cancer Screening in Smokers and Drinkers vol.16, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.109
- Health Screening among HBV Carriers in the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey V (KNHANES V) vol.16, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.3653
- Ten-Year Changes in the Hepatitis B Prevalence in the Birth Cohorts in Korea vol.94, pp.41, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000001469