- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Endo-sulfatase Sulf-1 Protein Expression is Down-regulated in Gastric Cancer
- Gopal, Gopisetty (Department of Molecular Oncology, Cancer Institute (WIA)) ;
- Shirley, Sundersingh (Department of Pathology, Cancer Institute (WIA)) ;
- Raja, Uthandaraman Mahalinga (Department of Molecular Oncology, Cancer Institute (WIA)) ;
- Rajkumar, Thangarajan (Department of Molecular Oncology, Cancer Institute (WIA))
- Published : 2012.02.29
In our recent report on gene expression in gastric cancer we identified the endo-sulfatase Sulf-1 gene to be up-regulated in gastric tumors relative to apparently normal (AN), and paired normal (PN) gastric tissue samples. In the present report we investigate the protein expression levels of Sulf-1 gene in gastric tumors, AN and PN samples using tissue microarray (TMA) and immunohistochemistry. Expression data was collected from two sets of TMA's containing replicate sections of tissue samples. Scoring data from TMA set-1 revealed a significant difference in Sulf-1 immunoreactivity between tumors and "normals" (PN and AN) (p-value = 0.001928). Also, Sulf-1 expression in tumors was also significantly different from either PN (p-value = 0.019) or AN (p-value = 0.006) samples. Similar results were obtained from analysis of scoring data from the second set of arrays. Comparison of mRNA expression and protein expression in gastric tumor tissues revealed that in 6/20 (30%) tumor samples showed up-regulated protein expression concordant with over-expression of mRNA. However, a discord with mRNA being over-expressed relative to down regulated protein expression was observed in majority 14/20 (70%) of tumor samples. Our study indicates down regulation of Sulf-1 protein expression in gastric tumors relative to PN and AN samples which is discordant with mRNA over-expression seen in tumors.
Gastric cancer;endo-sulfatase Sulf-1;gene expression;protein level;discordant findings
- Bai Z, Ye Y, Liang B, et al (2011). Proteomics-based identification of a group of apoptosis-related proteins and biomarkers in gastric cancer. Int J Oncol, 38, 375-83.
- Chen G, Gharib TG, Huang CC, et al (2002). Discordant protein and mRNA expression in lung adenocarcinomas. Mol Cell Proteomics, 1, 304-13. https://doi.org/10.1074/mcp.M200008-MCP200
- Chen Z, Fan JQ, Li J, et al (2009). Promoter hypermethylation correlates with the Hsulf-1 silencing in human breast and gastric cancer. Int J Cancer, 124, 739-44. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.23960
- Junnila S, Kokkola A, Mizuguchi T, et al (2010). Gene expression analysis identifies over-expression of CXCL1, SPARC, SPP1, and SULF1 in gastric cancer. Gene Chromosome Canc, 49, 28-39. https://doi.org/10.1002/gcc.20715
- Juttner S, Wissmann C, Jons T, et al (2006). Vascular endothelial growth factor-D and its receptor VEGFR-3: two novel independent prognostic markers in gastric adenocarcinoma. J Clin Oncol, 24, 228-40. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.00.3467
- Kordek R, Potemski P, Kusinska R, Pluciennik E, Bednarek A (2010). Basal keratin expression in breast cancer by quantification of mRNA and by immune-histochemistry. J Exp Clin Cancer Res, 29, 39-42. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-9966-29-39
- Lai J, Chien J, Staub J, et al (2003). Loss of HSulf-1 up-regulates heparin-binding growth factor signaling in cancer. J Biol Chem, 278, 23107-17. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M302203200
- Lai JP, Chien J, Strome SE, et al (2004a). HSulf-1 modulates HGF-mediated tumor cell invasion and signaling in head and neck squamous carcinoma. Oncogene, 23, 1439-47. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1207258
- Lai JP, Chien JR, Moser DR, et al (2004b). hSulf1 Sulfatase promotes apoptosis of hepatocellular cancer cells by decreasing heparin-binding growth factor signaling. Gastroenterology, 123,231-48.
- Lai JP, Thompson JR, Sandhu DS, Roberts LR (2008). Heparindegrading sulfatases in hepatocellular carcinoma: roles in pathogenesis and therapy targets. Future Oncol, 4, 803-14. https://doi.org/10.2217/147966184.108.40.2063
- Lam KW, Lo SC (2008). Discovery of diagnostic serum biomarkers of gastric cancer using proteomics. Proteomics Clin Appl, 2, 219-28. https://doi.org/10.1002/prca.200780015
- Leung WK, Wu MS, Kakugawa Y, et al (2008). Screening for gastric cancer in Asia: current evidence and practice. Lancet Oncol, 9, 179-87.
- Lu HB, Zhou JH, Ma YY, et al (2010). Five serum proteins identified using SELDI-TOF-MS as potential biomarkers of gastric cancer. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 40, 336-42. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyp175
- Mohri Y, Mohri T, Wei W, et al (2009). Identification of macrophage migration inhibitory factor and human neutrophil peptides 1-3 as potential biomarkers for gastric cancer. Br J Cancer, 101, 295-302. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605138
- Morimoto-Tomita M, Uchimura K, Werb Z, Hemmerich S, Rosen SD (2002). Cloning and characterization of two extracellular heparin-degrading endosulfatases in mice and humans. J Biol Chem, 277, 49175-85. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M205131200
- Mrena J, Wiksten JP, Kokkola A, et al (2010). COX-2 is associated with proliferation and apoptosis markers and serves as an independent prognostic factor in gastric cancer. Tumour Biol, 31, 1-7.
- Narita K, Chien J, Mullany SA, et al (2007). Loss of HSulf-1 expression enhances autocrine signaling mediated by amphiregulin in breast cancer. J Biol Chem, 282, 14413-20. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M611395200
- Narita K, Staub J, Chien J, et al (2006). HSulf-1 inhibits angiogenesis and tumorigenesis in vivo. Cancer Res, 66, 6025-32. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-05-3582
- Nawroth R, van Zante A, Cervantes S, et al (2007). Extracellular sulfatases, elements of the Wnt signaling pathway, positively regulate growth and tumorigenicity of human pancreatic cancer cells. PLoS One, 2, 392. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0000392
- Okayama H, Kumamoto K, Saitou K, et al (2009). CD44v6, MMP-7 and nuclear Cdx2 are significant biomarkers for prediction of lymph node metastasis in primary gastric cancer. Oncol Rep, 22, 745-55.
- Qiu FM, Yu JK, Chen YD, et al (2009). Mining novel biomarkers for prognosis of gastric cancer with serum proteomics. J Exp Clin Cancer Res, 28, 126.
- Rajkumar T, Vijayalakshmi N, Gopal G, et al (2010). Identification and validation of genes involved in gastric tumorigenesis. Cancer Cell Int, 10, 45. https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-2867-10-45
- Ryu JW, Kim HJ, Lee YS, et al (2003). The proteomics approach to find biomarkers in gastric cancer. J Korean Med Sci, 18, 505-9. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2003.18.4.505
- Wang YY, Ye ZY, Zhao ZS, Tao HQ, Li SG (2010). Systems biology approach to identification of biomarkers for metastatic progression in gastric cancer. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 136, 135-41. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-009-0644-y
- Yamada Y, Arao T, Gotoda T, et al (2008). Identification of prognostic biomarkers in gastric cancer using endoscopic biopsy samples. Cancer Sci, 99, 2193-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2008.00935.x
- Zhang YZ, Zhang LH, Gao Y, et al (2011). Discovery and validation of prognostic markers in gastric cancer by genome-wide expression profiling. World J Gastroenterol, 17, 1710-7. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v17.i13.1710
- The Role of Heparanase and Sulfatases in the Modification of Heparan Sulfate Proteoglycans within the Tumor Microenvironment and Opportunities for Novel Cancer Therapeutics vol.4, pp.2234-943X, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3389/fonc.2014.00195
- Evaluating Tumor-Associated Activity of Extracellular Sulfatase by Analyzing Naturally Occurring Substrate in Tumor Microenvironment of Hepatocellular Carcinoma vol.88, pp.24, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.analchem.6b03469
- Sulfatase-1 knockdown promotes in vitro and in vivo aggressive behavior of murine hepatocarcinoma Hca-P cells through up-regulation of mesothelin pp.1873-961X, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12079-017-0411-9