- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Descriptive Epidemiology of Primary Brain and CNS Tumors in Delhi, 2003-2007
- Manoharan, N. (Delhi Cancer Registry, All India Institute of Medical Sciences) ;
- Julka, P.K. (Radiation Oncology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences) ;
- Rath, G.K. (Dr.B.R.A. Institute Rotary Cancer Hospital, All India Institute of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2012.02.29
The Delhi Population Based Cancer Registry data during the period 2003-2007 were used to describe the epidemiology of primary malignant brain and central nervous system tumors in Delhi. A total of 1989 brain and CNS tumors cases in 1291 males and 698 females were registered during the period 1st January 2003 to 31st December 2007. The age adjusted (world population) incidence rates were 3.9 per 100,000 for males and 2.4 per 100,000 for females. Gliomas were the most frequently reported histology both in males (26.6%) and females (23.2%). A male predominance in incidence was observed for all histological classifications. The rates in Delhi are low compared to the incidences reported from developed countries.
Cancer registration;brain and CNS;incidence;histology
- Census of India (1991). Part IV-A-C Series - Socio Cultural Tables; Series 31- Delhi.
- Census of India (2001). Registrar General of India, Socio Cultural Tables; C14, Population by Five Year Age group by Residence and Sex, New Delhi (www.Censusindia.net)
- Curado MP, Edward B, Shin HR et al. (2007). Eds. Cancer Incidence in Five Continents Vol. IX, IARC Scientific Publication No.160, Lyon, France.
- Fritz & Percy C, Jack A. et al (2000). International Classification of Diseases for Oncology, 3rd ed. Geneva; WHO.
- GLOBOCAN 2008 V1.2, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide : IARC Cancer Base No.10 (Internet). Lyon, France: IARC; 2010. Available from: http://globocan.iarc. fr/accessed on 28/12/2011.
- International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems - 10th revision (1994), World Health Organization, Geneva.
- Jensen OM, Parkins DM, MacLennan R, Muir CS, Skeet R eds. (2003). Cancer Registration principles and methods. IARC Technical report No.95, Lyon: IARC Press
- Manoharan N, Tyagi BB, Raina V (2009). Cancer incidences in urban Delhi - 2001-05. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 10, 799-806.
- National Cancer Registry Programme (ICMR) (2010).Three year report of Population Based Cancer Registries 2006- 2008 - First Report of 20 PBCRs in India. Bangalore, India.
- Takiar R, Shobana B (2009). Cancer incidence rates and the problem of denominators - a new approach in Indian cancer registries. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 9, 123-6.
- Yeole BB (2008). Trends in the Brain Cancer Incidence in India, Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 9, 267-70.
- Epidemiology of Primary CNS Tumors in Iran: A Systematic Review vol.14, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3979
- Lack of Sunlight Exposure Influence on Primary Glioblastoma Survival vol.15, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4165
- Quantitative Analysis of Diffusion Weighted MR Images of Brain Tumor Using Signal Intensity Gradient Technique vol.2014, pp.2314-5137, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/619081
- Clinicopathological Findings and Five Year Survival Rates for Patients with Central Nervous System Tumors in Yazd, Iran vol.15, pp.23, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.23.10319
- Malignant Tumors of the Central Nervous System in Kazakhstan: Component Analysis of Incidence Dynamics vol.16, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.6.2289
- Burden of brain tumors in low- and middle-income countries vol.16, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11124/JBISRIR-2017-003424