- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Posttransplant Malignancies in Renal Transplant Recipients: 22-years Experience from a Single Center in Pakistan
- Yunus, Mahira (Department of Radiology, Sindh Institute of Urology and Transplantation (SIUT)) ;
- Aziz, Tahir (Department of Nephrology, Sindh Institute of Urology and Transplantation (SIUT)) ;
- Mubarak, Muhammed (Department of Histopathology, Sindh Institute of Urology and Transplantation (SIUT))
- Published : 2012.02.29
Objective: To study the incidence, types and distribution pattern of malignant tumors in renal transplant recipients at a single center in Pakistan. Materials and methods: This retrospective study was conducted at Sindh Institute of Urology and Transplantation (SIUT) and included all transplant patients on regular follow-up from November 1986 to December 2008. The original biopsy reports and case files of all patients who developed posttransplant malignancies were reviewed and relevant demographic, clinical, radiological, and histopathological data were retrieved and analyzed. SPSS version 10.0 was used for statistical analysis. Results: Over 22 years of study period, 1816 renal transplants were carried out at our center. Among these, 44 patients developed malignancies constituting an overall incidence rate of 2.4%. All patients in this study were males with a mean age of
Kaposi's sarcoma;lymphoma;posttransplant malignancies;renal transplant;skin tumors
- Boubenider S, Hiesse C, Groupy C, et al (1997). Incidence and consequences of post-transplantation lymphoproliferative disorders. J Nephrol, 10, 36-45.
- Caillard S, Dharnidharka V, Agodoa L, Bohen E, Abott K (2005). Posttransplnt lymphoproliferative disorders after renal transplantation in the United States in era of modern immunosuppression. Transplantation, 80,1233-43. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.tp.0000179639.98338.39
- Caillard S, Lelong C, Pssione F, Moulin B (2006). Post transplant lymphoproliferative disorders occurring after renal transplantation in adults: Report of 230 cases from the French Registry. Am J Transplant, 6, 2735-42. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-6143.2006.01540.x
- Chapman JC, Campistol JM (2007). Malignancy in renal transplantation: opportunities with proliferation signal inhibitors. Nephrol Dial Transplant, 22, 1-3.
- Euvrard S, Kanitakis J, Claudy A (2003). Skin cancers after organ transplantation. N Engl J Med, 348,1681-91. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra022137
- Hazrallah K, Abderrahim E, Chareffedine K, et al (2008). Cancers after renal transplantation: Multicentre experience. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transplant, 19, 825-30.
- Honda H, Barloon TJ, Franken EA Jr, et al (1990). Clinical and radiological features of malignant neoplasms in organ transplant recipients. Cyclosporine treated verses untreated patients. AJR, 154, 271-4. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.154.2.2105012
- Kasiske BL, Snyder JJ, Gilbertson DT, Wang C (2004). Cancer after kidney transplantation in the United States. Am J Transplant, 4, 905-13. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-6143.2004.00450.x
- Kazi J, Mubarak M, Hashmi A, et al (2001). Incidence and pattern of post transplant malignancies in living related donor programme: An experience with 1000 renal transplant patients. J Nephrol Urol Transplant, 2,133-6.
- Mendez JC, Paya CV (2000). Kaposi's sarcoma and transplantation. Herpes, 7,18-23.
- Morath C, Mueller M, Goldschmidt H, et al (2004). Malignancy in renal transplantation. J Am Soc Nephrol, 15,1582-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ASN.0000126194.77004.9B
- Opelz G, Dohler B (2004). Lymphomas after solid organ transplantation: a collaborative transplant study report. Am J Transplant, 4, 222-30. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1600-6143.2003.00325.x
- Opelz G, Handerson R (1993). Incidence of Non Hodgkin's lymphoma in kidney and heart transplant recipients. Lancet, 342,1514-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)80084-4
- Penn I (1976). Second malignant neoplasms associated with immunosuppressive medication. Cancer, 37,1024-32. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(197602)37:2+<1024::AID-CNCR2820370806>3.0.CO;2-V
- Penn I (1977). Malignancies associated with renal transplantation. Urology, 10, 57-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/0090-4295(77)90043-7
- Penn I (1978). Malignancies associated with immunosuppressive and cytotoxic therapy. Surgery, 83, 492-502.
- Penn I (1979). Tumor incidence in human allograft recipients. Transplant Proc, 11,1047-51.
- Penn I (1990). Cancers complicating organ transplantation (editorial). N Engl J Med, 323,1767-9. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199012203232510
- Penn I (1991). Changing patterns of post transplant malignancies. Transpl Proc, 23,1101-3.
- Penn I (1998). Occurrence of cancers in immunosuppressed organ transplant recipients. Clin Transplant, 12, 147-58.
- Penn I (2000). Cancers in renal transplant recipients. Adv Ren Replace Ther, 7,147-56. https://doi.org/10.1053/rr.2000.5269
- Sabeel A, Qunibi W, Alfurayh O, al-Meshari K (1998). Simultaneous development of Kaposi's sarcoma and lymphoma in a renal transplant recipient. Am J Kidney Dis, 31, 706-9. https://doi.org/10.1053/ajkd.1998.v31.pm9531190
- Sandhu JS, Dhiman A, Aulakh BS, et al (2005). Post transplant malignancies: 8 cases observed in a single centre. Indian J Nephrol, 15, 235-8.
- Smith JM, Rudser K, Gillen D, et al (2006). Risk of lymphoma after renal transplantation varies with time: An analysis of the United States Renal Data System. Transplantation, 81,175-227. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.tp.0000188687.18972.a8
- Yaich S, Zagdane S, Charfeddine K, Hssairi D, Hachicha J (2010). Simultaneous Hodgkin's disease and Kaposi's sarcoma in a renal transplant recipient. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transplant, 21, 306-9
- Yilderim Y, Ozyilkan O, Emiroglu R, et al (2006). Early diagnosis of cancer in renal transplant patients: a single centre experience. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 7, 336-9.
- Zafar SY, Howell DN, Gockerman JP (2008). Malignancy after solid organ transplantation: an overview. The Oncologist, 13, 769-78. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2007-0251
- Sirolimus and Non-melanoma Skin Cancer Prevention after Kidney Transplantation: A Meta-analysis vol.13, pp.9, 2012, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4335
- Clinical Practice of Blood Transfusion in Orthotopic Organ Transplantation: A Single Institution Experience vol.16, pp.17, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.8009