- Volume 39 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A SURVEY ON THE KNOWLEDGE AND AWARENESS OF TRAUMATIC DENTAL INJURIES IN A GROUP OF JEON-BUK PROVINCE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TEACHERS
어린이의 치아 외상에 대한 전라북도 초등학교 교사들의 인식도 조사
- Received : 2012.01.20
- Accepted : 2012.05.14
- Published : 2012.05.31
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the attitude and knowledge level of a group of elementary school teachers in management of traumatic dental injury. The sample consisted of 231 elementary school teachers in Jeon-Buk province, and data was collected by means of a self-administered questionnaire. The questionnaire surveyed the teachers'general information, attitude on the dental trauma education, knowledge of management of tooth fracture, luxation, avulsion and tooth storage media. Only 15.2% of the teachers had received dental first aid treatment education, but 97% were favorable to receiving education. Although there were differences among the questions, insufficient knowledge and awareness of the management of traumatic dental injury were shown in the majority of teachers. It is recommended that education strategies and programs for improving the awareness of immediate management of traumatic dental injuries are necessary for elementary school teachers in Jeon-Buk province.
Traumatic dental injury;Elementary school teacher;Awareness;Education
- Mohandas U, Chandan GD : Knowledge, attitude and practice in emergency management of dental injury among physical education teachers : A survey in Bangalore urban schools. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent, 27:242-248, 2009. https://doi.org/10.4103/0970-4388.57660
- Andreasen JO, Andreasen FM : Textbook and color atlas of traumatic injuries to the teeth, 4th edn. Oxford: Blackwell Munksgaard; 2007.
- Caglar E, Ferreira LP, Kargul B : Dental trauma management knowledge among a group of teachers in two south European cities. Dent Traumatol, 21:258-262, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-9657.2005.00321.x
- Bassat YB, Borin I, Zilberman Y : Effects of trauma to the primary incisor on their permanent successors : multidisciplinary treatment. J Dent Child, 56:112-116, 1989.
- Petersson EE, Andersson L, Sorensen S : Traumatic oral vs non-oral injuries. Swed Dent J, 21:55-68, 1997.
- Traebert J, Peres MA, Blank V, Boell RS, Pietruza JA : Prevalence of traumatic dental injury and associated factors among 12-year-old school children in Florianopolis, Brazil. Dent Traumatol, 19:15-18, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-9657.2003.00138.x
- Andreasen JO : Challengers in clinical dental traumatology. Endod Dent Traumatol, 1:45-55, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-9657.1985.tb00560.x
- Pacheco LF, Filho PF, Letra A, Menezes R, Villoria GE, Ferreira SM : Evaluation of the knowledge of the treatment of avulsions in elementary school teachers in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Dent Traumatol, 19:76-78, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-9657.2003.00109.x
- Addo ME, Parekh S, Moles DR, Roberts GJ : Knowledge of dental trauma first aid (DTFA): the example of avulsed incisors in casualty departments and schools in London. Br Dent J, 202:E27, 2007.
- Blakytny C, Surbuts C, Thomas A, Hunter ML : Avulsed permanent incisors: Knowledge and attitudes of primary school teachers with regard to emergency management. Int J Paedia Dent, 11:327-332, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0960-7439.2001.00288.x
- Kahabuka FK : Primary school teacher's knowledge actions to be taken when a child sustains oro-dental trauma, Dar-es-Salaam, United Republic of Tanzania. Citation Tanzanian Public Health Association, 177-180, 2001.
- 이경호, 정태성, 김신 : 어린이의 치아손상 대처방법에 대한 초등학교 교사들의 인식도 조사. 대한소아치과학회지, 31:114-118, 2004.
- 윤영미, 이난영, 이상호, 장향길 : 광주광역시 초중고 교사들의 치아외상에 대한 지식과 태도. 대한소아치과학회지, 38:217-228, 2011.
- Sae-Lim V, Lim LP : Dental trauma management awareness of Singapore pre-school teachers. Dent Traumatol, 17:71-76, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-9657.2001.017002071.x
- Al-Asfour A, Andersson L, Al-Jame Q : School teachers'knowledge of tooth avulsion and dental first aid before and after receiving information about avulsed teeth and replantation. Dent Traumatol, 24:43-9, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-9657.2006.00476.x
- Chan AWK, Wong TKS, Cheung GSP : Lay knowledge of physical education teachers about the emergency management of dental trauma in Hong Kong. Dent Traumatol, 17:77-85, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-9657.2001.017002077.x
- Newman L, Crawford PJM : Dental injuries: "firstaid" knowledge of Southampton teachers of physical education. Endod Dent Traumatol, 7:255-258, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-9657.1991.tb00213.x
- Hamilton FA, Hill FJ, Holloway PJ. An investigation of dentoalveolar trauma and its treatment in an adolescent population. Part 2. Dentists' knowledge of management methods and their perceptions of barriers to providing care. British Dental Journal, 182:129-133, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.4809323
- Kostopoulou MN, Duggal MS. A study into dentists' knowledge of the treatment of traumatic injuries to young permanent incisors. Int J Paediatr Dent, 15:10-19, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-263X.2005.00588.x
- Feldens EG, Feldens CA, Kramer PF, da Silva KG, Munari CC, Brei VA. Understanding school teacher's knowledge regarding dental trauma: a basis for future interventions. Dent Traumatol, 26:158-163, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-9657.2009.00863.x
- Mcintyre JD, Lee JY, Trope M, Vann WF Jr. Effectiveness of dental trauma education for elementary school staff. Dent Traumatol, 24:146-150, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-9657.2008.00573.x
- Al-Jundi SH, Al-Waeili H, Khairalah K. Knowledge and attitude of Jordanian school health teachers with regards to emergency management of dental trauma. Dent Traumatol, 21:183-187, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-9657.2005.00307.x
- Al-Asfour A, Andersson L. The effect of a leaflet given to parents for first aid measures after tooth avulsion. Dent Traumatol, 24:515-521, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-9657.2008.00651.x
- Lieger O, Graf C, El-Maaytah M, Von Arx T. Impact of educational posters on the lay knowledge of school teachers regarding emergency management of dental injuries. Dent Traumatol, 25:406-412, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-9657.2009.00798.x
- Flores MT, Andersson L, Andreasen JO, Bakland LK, Malmgren B, Barnett F et al. Guidelines for the management of traumatic dental injuries. II. Avulsion of permanent teeth. Dent Traumatol, 23:130-136, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-9657.2007.00605.x
- Andreasen JO. Radiographic and clinical study of 110 human teeth replanted after accidental loss. Acta Odontol Scand, 24:263-286, 1966. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016356609028222
- Andreasen JO. Effects of extra-alveolar period and storage media upon periodontal and pulpal healing after replantation of mature permanent incisors in monkeys. Int J Oral Surg, 10:43-53, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-9785(81)80007-5
- Blomlof L, Lindskog S, Andersson L, Hedstrom K, Hammarstrom L. Storage of experimentally avulsed teeth in milk prior to replantation. J Dent Res, 62:912-916, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345830620081301
- Chamorro MM, Regan JD, Opperman LA, Kramer PR. Effect of storage media on human periodontal ligament cell apoptosis. Dent Traumatol, 24:11-16, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-9657.2006.00484.x
- Harkacz OM Sr, Carnes DL Jr, Walker WA III. Determination of periodontal ligament cell viability in the oral rehydration fluid Gatorade and milks of varying fat content. J Endod, 23:687-690, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0099-2399(97)80402-5
- Huang SC, Remeikis NA, Daniel JC. Effects of long-term exposure of human periodontal ligament cells to milk and other solutions. J Endod, 22:30-33, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0099-2399(96)80233-0
- Knowledge on methods to deal with dental trauma in some middle school students vol.13, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.3.425
- First aid knowledge and educational needs related to maxillofacial trauma among elementary school teachers in Jeollabuk-do vol.39, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2015.39.1.43