- Volume 12 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A study on the status of the senior citizens' oral health in some areas
일부지역 노인의 구강건강 실태에 관한 조사 연구
- Received : 2012.07.11
- Accepted : 2012.08.24
- Published : 2012.08.31
Objectives : To obtain necessary fundamental data for the development of oral health improvement programs for senior citizens in the manner of investigating the Status of their oral health. Methods : Data were collected from 346 senior citizens aged 65 years or older who had lived in Seoul and Gyeonggido province, Republic of Korea. This study was conducted for 3 months from April 2011 to June 2011. Excluding those obtained from 34 respondents who gave inadequate responses to given questions, the data from 312 respondents were analyzed. Results : 1. The number of senior citizens who chose 'Sometimes' to as an answer to the question about the self-perception of their own oral conditions such as mastication, swallowing, gingiva hemorrhage, dry mouth, and/or oral malodor was the largest. As an answer to the question about the presence of interpersonal avoidance, 'No' accounted for the largest proportion. The number of respondents choosing gingiva treatment regarding the perception of the necessity for medical interventions was the largest. 2. In regard to the knowledge of oral health care, the percentage of correct answers was the highest for 'I brush my tooth before each meal' (
senior citizens;the status of oral health
- Statistics Korea. Statistical information system (KOSIS)-population estimated by age(1960-2050). online http;//www.nso.or.kr 2006.7.20.
- Statistics Korea. Statistics on the senior citizens. Seoul:Statistics Korea;2010:10-15.
- Woo SR, Seo BI, Han CH. The impact of oral health status of the elderly in the community on their satisfaction with life. J East-West Medicines 2010;35(2):39-71.
- Kim NH, Kim HD, Han DH, Jin BH, Back DI. Relationship between perceived oral symptoms and perceived oral health status among the elderly in welfare institutions in Seoul. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2006;30(2):141-150.
- Won YS. The relations among oral conditions, dietary habits and health of senior citizens [Masterʼs thesis]. Seoul:The graduate school of Yonsei University;2003.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. Study on the current status pertaining to the citizensʼ oral health in 2006. Seoul:Ministry of Health and Welfare;2006:13-71.
- Boretti G, Bickel M, Geering AH. A review of masticatory ability and efficiency. J Prosthet Dent 1995;74(4):400-403. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(05)80381-6
- Kim JB, Choi YJ. Public oral health. Version 5. Seoul:Gomunsa;2000:266-277.
- Ministry for Health and Welfare. Interim report to identify the current status of the customized visit based oral health care service in 2008. Seoul:Ministry for Health and Welfare;2008: 145-167.
- Shin SJ, Ma DS, Park DY, Chung SH. A study on the current status concerning the initiative held at the public hygiene office to visit senior citizens. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2007; 31(3):355-365.
- Kim MJ, Lee YS, Ahn YS. Oral health status of the old, over 65 who dwell in Seongnam City. J Dent Hyg Sci 2005;5(1):19-24.
- Kim SH, Jung JA, Lee BJ, Kim DK. Comparison oral health status of the elderly people lived in nursing home with private home in Gwangju metropolitan city. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2007;31(3):366-375.
- Kwon HK, Kim YN, Kim YN, Kim BI, Yoo JH. The oral health status of low socioeconomic elderly people in Korea. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2004;28(1):87-96.
- Shin SM. A study on the actual experience of and needs for oral health education among senior citizens[Masterʼs thesis]. Gyeonggi:The graduate school of Dankook University;2010.
- Jo KA.The oral health conditions of the senior citizens benefiting from home visiting health services[Masterʼs thesis]. Daegu:The graduate school of Kyungpook National University;2007.
- Lee JH, Sung MG, Kang HG, Cho GS. A study on the senior citizensʼ subjective perception of the oral health and level at some parts of the Ulju County. J Dent Hyg Sci 2007;7(4):281-286.
- Watanabe I. Masticatory function and life style in aged. Nihon Ronen Igakkai Zasshi 1998;35(3): 194-200. https://doi.org/10.3143/geriatrics.35.194
- Kossioni AE, Karkazis HC. Socio-medical condition and oral functional status in an older institutionalised population. Gerodontol 1999;16(1):21-18. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-2358.1999.00021.x
- Baek JY. A study on the characteristics of the senior citizens with damaged nervous system and who are suffering from swallowing complication. J Korean Soc Occup Ther 2007;15(1):47-55.
- Chung JY, Han SJ. A study on the senior citizensʼ knowledge of the public oral cavity hygiene, behavior and demand for education. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011;11(6): 513-520.
- Yoon YS, Jung YH. A study on dental health and physical & psychological health state of the aged. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Edu 2005;5(1):39-51.
- Chang JH, Baek SH, Kim AJ, et al. The effect of xerostomia on perceived oral health among elderly people wearing dentures. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2006;30(4):438-446.
- Ghezzi EM, Ship JA. Aging an secretory reserve capacity of major salivary glands. J Dent Res 2003;82(10):844-848. https://doi.org/10.1177/154405910308201016
- Kim EM, Lee HN. The perceived oral health status of elderly people in Jeolla province. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Edu 2009;9(2):193-205.
- Park IS, Kim JS, Choi MH. A study on oral health knowledge, behavior and practice among elderly people in some regions. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Edu 2010;10(2):413-423.
- A study on the oral health education needs according to self perception of the oral condition of senior citizens in some areas vol.13, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.05.797
- Actual oral condition and dental fear level of the elderly vol.14, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.06.895
- Oral health of the elderly people receiving nursing care and home care serivces in Chungnam vol.15, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.04.565
Supported by : 신흥대학