- Volume 12 Issue 4
Objectives : The purpose of this study was to examine the relationship between the DISC behavioral type of dental hygienists and their job satisfaction in an effort to provide some information on the efficiency of human-resources management. Methods : The subjects in this study were 278 dental hygienists who worked in dental clinics in Seoul. A self-administered survey was conducted from February 10 to March 30, 2011, and the statistical package SPSS WIN 12.0 was employed to analyze the collected data. Results : As for differences among the dental hygienists in DISC behavioral type according to their general and job-related characteristics, there were statistically significant differences in dominance type according to age, and statistically significant differences were found in steadiness type according to martial status. There were statistically significant differences in conscientiousness type according to career, and statistically significant differences were found in steadiness type according to the daily mean number of outpatients. Concerning differences in job satisfaction according to DISC behavioral type, the group of influence type was most satisfied with the job itself, and those who were of dominance type expressed the best satisfaction with pay. The group of influence type was most satisfied with boss ties, and those who were of influence type expressed the best satisfaction with colleague relationships as well. Conclusions : The above-mentioned findings indicate that in order to ensure the job satisfaction of dental hygienists in terms of human-resources management, both of their DISC behavioral type and job satisfaction should accurately be grasped, which is expected to make a contribution to the efficient human-resources management of dental institutions.
dental hygienists;DISC behavioral type;job satisfaction
- Kim SD. The relationship among sport organization employees' DISC behavior, job satisfaction, and organization commitment [Master's thesis]. Seoul: The graduate school of physical education of Korea University;2007.
- Kim SD, Kim S, Kim IG. Differences in sport instructorsʼ job satisfaction according to DISC behavior. Korean J Sport Management 2008; 13(3):75-89.
- Yu HJ. A study on differences of education satisfaction by DiSC behavior patterns [Master's thesis]. Seoul:The graduate school of Yonsei University;2005.
- Lee CJ. Interesting reading. Seoul:GURU-People's; 2002.20-50.
- Cho JK. The influence of the peopleʼs job characteristics in the sports center on the empowerment and organizational effectiveness [Master's thesis]. Kwangju:The graduate school of Dongshin University;2007.
- Shin YK. Management of human respect: The organization acts as a holistic approach. Seoul: Dasan;2005:42-98.
- Institute for Motivational Living. DISC insights. discinsights.com.
- Jeon JH. Research on job satisfaction and organizational immersion by DISC behavioral pattern of computer teachers after school at elementary schools[Master's thesis]. Seoul:The graduate school of Hanyang University;2007.
- Cho MY. A study of hotel employees' job stress depending on DISC behavior type-focusing on the employees of five-star hotel in Seoul[Master's thesis]. Seoul:The graduate school of Hanyang University;2007.
- Han WO. A study on doctor-patient communication [Master's thesis]. Seoul:The graduate school of Sungkyunkwan University; 2005.
- Roh EK. The influence of job stress, DISC behavioral type and organization social capital on job satisfaction among Some nurses [Master's thesis]. Kwangju:The graduate school of Chosun University. 2007.
- Boyd CF. The family discovery profile manual. Oregon:Multnomah;1994:3-250.
- Kim MH. Special children to speak to parents. Seoul:Education of science;2001:10-308.
- Smith PC, Kendal LM, Hulin CL. "The measurement of satisfaction work and retirement: A strategy for the study of attitudes". Chicago:Rand Mcnally & Co;1969: 5-300.
- Golembiewski RT, Yeager S. "Testing the applicability of the JDI to various demographic groups". Acad Manage J 1978;21(3):514-519. https://doi.org/10.2307/255733
- Eom MR. A study on dentistrys' style and job satisfaction of dental hygienists[Master's thesis]. Seoul:The graduate school of Dankook University; 2003.
- Lee SC, Shin CS. The effects of service quality on service loyalty in public sport centers. Korean J Physl Edu 2004;43(1): 425-433.
- Bolton NR, Drew JH. A longitudinal analysis of the impact of service change on customer attitudes. J Mark 1991:8(2):1-9.
- Kih HB, Hyo KJ, Yong MJ. Relation between the DISC behavior, coping type and level of stress and job satisfaction, organizational committment of hospital employees. Korean J hospital management 2010:15(3):17-32.
- Choi KH. Members of the row type and its impact on the validity of the Organization: People centered on the smart action type [Master's thesis]. Seoul:The graduate school of Yonsei University;2004.
- Oh WS. Human resources development based on the type of action, members of the Organization. The Korean Institute of Industrial Studies Kyonggi University 2000;12:207-224.
- The effect of gender role identity on the satisfaction and self effectiveness with job performance of dental hygienist vol.15, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.05.933
- Impact of DISC Behavioral Styles on Job Satisfaction and Clinical Competencies among Newly Hired Nurses vol.21, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.1.43