- Volume 12 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Dental hygienist image among dental hygiene students according to clinical practice experience
치위생과 학생들의 임상실습 경험 유무에 따라 치과위생사 이미지에 영향을 미치는 요인 연구
- Youn, Hye-Jeong (Dept. of Dental Hygiene, Suwon women's College) ;
- Jung, Jung-Ock (Dept. of Dental Hygiene, Shin-heung college) ;
- Lee, Kyeong-Hee (Dept. of Dental Hygiene, Shin-heung college)
- Received : 2012.07.03
- Accepted : 2012.08.20
- Published : 2012.08.31
Objectives : The purpose of this study was to examine what image dental hygiene students had about a dental hygienist during clinical practice and what factors affected their image of dental hygienist. Methods : The subjects in this study were the dental hygiene students at three different colleges. After a survey was conducted, the answer sheets from 427 respondents were analyzed. Results : The dental hygiene students who had engaged in clinical practice had a higher self-esteem than those who hadn't in general(p<0.01). A statistically significantly stronger achievement motivation was found among the dental hygiene students who had engaged in clinical practice than those who hadn't(p<0.01). The dental hygiene students who had engaged in clinical practice had a statistically significantly worse image of a dental hygienist than the others who hadn't(p<0.01). Whether the self-efficacy, self-esteem and achievement motivation of the dental hygiene students had any impact on their image of a dental hygienist was analyzed in consideration of their clinical practice experience. As a result, the dental hygiene students who had engaged in clinical practice had a more positive image of a dental hygienist when they had a higher self-esteem(p<0.05) and a stronger achievement motivation(p<0.001), and those who hadn't engaged in clinical practice had a more positive image of a dental hygienist when they had a higher self-esteem(p<0.01). Conclusions : Given the above-mentioned findings, a wide variety of programs should be developed to bolster the self-esteem and achievement motivation of students and improve their image of a dental hygienist, as self-esteem and achievement motivation are the variables that exert the largest influence on one's image of a dental hygienist.
- Kang HS, Kim YN, Kim HJ, et al. Introduction to dental hygiene. 5th ed. Seoul:Komoonsa; 2003:3-20.
- Kang JK, Kim KM. Study on the professional attitude and the image of dental hygienist in the dental hygiene students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2006;6(4):263-269.
- Hwang MY, Lee SM. A Study of dental hygienistsʼ image impressed on the students of dental hygiene department. Bulletin of Dongnam Health College 2003;21(2):117-125.
- Lee KH, Yoon MS, Ha MO. A study on influential factors for dental hygiene studentsʼ image of dental hygienist. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(5):831-839.
- Lim JE. The predictors of dental hygienist image among student of department of dental hygiene[Masterʼs thesis]. Seoul:The graduate school of Hanyang University;2006.
- Min SY, Chaung SK. Self efficacy and stress coping strategies of nursing students. J Korean Acad Psych Mental Health Nurs 2006;15(3): 299-307.
- Woolf PJ. Increasing self-esteem through selfevaluation. J Nurs Educ 1984;23(2): 78-81.
- Kim JI. An Approach to the social scientific model of health administration. Collection of Wonkwang University 1991;25(1):325-350.
- Ha MO, Youn HJ. A study on the job analysis of dental hygienist in Gwanju. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(5):807-817.
- Youn HJ, Lim SA, Kim SK. A study on the impact of general characteristics on achievement motivation in dental hygiene students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011;11(5):389-395.
- Kim YS, Kim MS, Cho WS. A study on the relationship between self-esteem, self-efficacy and clinical practice performance, academic achievement, decision making of major field in clinical practice. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu 2002;8(1):51-60.
- Sherer M, Maddux JE, Mercandante B, et al. The self-efficacy scale: Construction and Validation Psychological Reports 1982;51(2): 663-667. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.1918.104.22.1683
- Park SY. The affection of self-efficacy and self-esteem on the college life adjustment [Masterʼs thesis]. Seoul:The graduate school of Sookmyung Womenʼs University;2003.
- Cho SH. A study on the image of dental hygienist[Masterʼs thesis]. Chungnam:The graduate school of Dankook University;2000.
- Whang SJ. The relationship between clinical stress, self-efficacy, and self-esteem of nursing college students. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu 2006;12(2):205-213.
- Lee JS. The influence of self-efficacy on adaptation to university studentʼs campus life [Masterʼs thesis]. Seoul:The graduate school of Sungkyunkwan University;2009.
- Nam YO, Ju OJ, Kang HS, et al. A study on the relationship between self-esteem, perceived stress level and stress-coping pattern during scaling practice. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2007; 31(4):580-592.
- Jang JH, Kim KH. A study on the relationship between achievement motivation and satisfaction on clinical practice. The Chung-Ang J Nurs 2000;4(1): 175-193.
- Yang YS. A study on the self-esteem and nurse image of the nursing students[Masterʼs thesis]. Gwangju:The graduate school of Chosun University;2003.
- Related factors of clinical practice satisfaction and social support in dental hygiene students vol.14, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.06.935
- Self-efficacy, self-image, and image as a dental hygienist of the dental hygiene student vol.15, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.06.1043
- Influencing factors on satisfaction of clinical practice field in dental hygiene students vol.16, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.03.391