- Volume 12 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The association of employment status of mother and children's oral health
어머니의 취업상태와 자녀 구강건강상태의 관련성
- Sa, Kong-Joon (Dept. of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, College of Medicine, Yeungnam University) ;
- Lee, Seung-Hee (Dept. of Public Health, Graduate School Yeungnam University)
- Received : 2012.04.12
- Accepted : 2012.06.22
- Published : 2012.06.30
Objectives : School-age children have mixed dentition and are sensitive to dental caries. Their dental condition is more important as it is directly related with oral health in their life, and parents' attention and education are necessary as the children can not manage their oral health voluntarily. Methods : To evaluate the effect of parents' occupational status on the oral health of children, this study conducted a questionnaire survey and analyzed the results along with the results of oral examination with 952 students and their parents of an elementary school located in Ulsan conducting school oral health projects on May, 2009. Results : As dental caries prevalence rate recorded 33.7%, 56.8% and 66.9% in non-dual income, professional dual income and non-professional dual income families, respectively, the rate of children of dual income families was significantly higher than that of non-dual income ones (p<0.05). Conclusions : For professional dual income families, although working mothers contribute to economic stability, they took less time to care or to educate their children compared to no-working mothers so that they need to pay more attention to oral health of children. In addition, more interest to and education for children of non-professional dual income families showing relatively lower socio-economic level and lack of time for children, were also necessary in school projects on oral health education and prevention.
children's oral health;dual income;non-dual income;non-professional
- Ministry of Health & Welfare. National oral health survey of 2006. Seoul:Ministry of Health & Welfare;2007:20-25.
- Statistics Korea. Statistics to see the lives of women. Daejeon:Statistics Korea;2008:10-25
- Lee JH, Ra SJ, Kim JB. Oral health knowledge and practices among housewives at apartment houses in metropolitan area. Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Health 1996;20(4):509-530.
- Oral health of working couple' children are the poor than its of single imcome parents, also the number of oral examination is the low. Korean Dental Association News news 2008-11-10.
- Goo KM, Kim YH, Kim IS, et al. Oral health education. Seoul:Komoonsa;2008:17.
- Kang HS, Kim KH, Jung HK. The effects of oral care on children by parents. J K Society of School Health 2000:13(2):319-419.
- Kim JB, Baik DI, Jang KW. Oral health education. Seoul:Komoonsa;1999:19.
- Ripa LW, Barenie JT. Management of dental behavior in children. Pediatrics 1979;63:15-26.
- Yoo SN. Study on the children's personality formation according to state of maternal employment and family environment[Master's thesis]. Seoul:The graduate school of Korea University;1980.
- Bowlby J. The Effects of Mother-Child seperation. Br J Med Psychol 1956;29:211-247. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8341.1956.tb00915.x
- Koch G, Martinsson T. Socio-odontologic investigation of school children with high and low caries frequency. I. Socio-economic background. Odontol Revy 1970;21(2):207-228.
- Park JY. The relationship between the daily habits of parents of students and children's dental caries[Master's thesis]. Seoul: The graduate school of Public Health Yonsei university;2004.
- Rayner JF. Socioeconomic status and factors influencing the dental health practice of morthers. Am J Pub Health 1970;60(7):1250-1258. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.60.7.1250
- Blinkhorn AS. Dental preventive advice for pregnant and nursing morths. Sociological implications. Int Dent J 1981;31(1):14-22.
- Cho WJ. An empirical study on Korean adults' perception of their health behavior[Doctor's thesis]. Seoul:The graduate school of Yonsei University;1983.
- Lee SY, Shon MS, Nam JM. Structural modeling of health concern, health practice and health status of Koreans. Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health 1995;28(1):187-206.
- Kim NJ. A Study on the relation of health concern, health behavior, and subjective health status between the aged and the preliminary aged group. Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion 2000;17(2):99-110.
- Lee JW, Jung UJ Na HJ. A study on the preschool children dental health awareness and behavior of the educators at the nurseries and kindergartens in Chungnam region. Korean Academy of Dental Hygiene Education 2011;11(6):973-983.
- Lee JY, Cho PK. Awareness and practice of dental caries prevention according to concerns and recognition for offspring's oral health. Korean Academy of Dental Hygiene Education 2011;11(6):1005-1016.