- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Weight control behavior in women college students and factors influencing behavior
일부 여대생의 체중조절행위와 영향 요인
- Yang, Hyun-Young (Seoul Women's College of Nursing) ;
- Byeon, Young-Soon (Department of Nursing Science, Ewha Womans University)
- Received : 2012.02.16
- Accepted : 2012.05.21
- Published : 2012.05.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to provide basic data for the development of weight control programs to maintain and promote healthy behavior in women college students by identifying their weight control behaviors and factors that influence these behaviors. Method: Data were collected from 300 women student participants and were analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson correlation coefficients, and multiple regression with the SPSS 18.0 program. Result: Weight control behavior showed a significant difference according to participants' gender role identity type. Weight control behaviors were correlated with self-efficacy, body image, objective BMI, and ideal BMI. Factors influencing weight control behavior were self-efficacy (
- Ahn, B. R. M., & Park, E. S. (2009). Perception of body weight control, life styles, and dietary habits according to the obesity index (OI) of female college students. Korean Association of Human Ecology, 18, 167-179. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2009.18.1.167
- Bandura, A. (1993). Perceived self-efficacy in cognitive development and functioning. Educational Psychologist. 28, 117-148. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15326985ep2802_3
- Bem, S. L. (1975). Sex role adaptability: One consequence of psychological androgyny. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 31, 634-643. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0077098
- Chang, E. Y., Kim, J. S., & Shin, S. J. (2009). Health promotion lifestyle according to self-perception of obesity and objective status measured by bioelectric impedance analysis in college women. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 39, 693-699. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.5.693
- Chaung, S. K., & Min, S. Y. (2006). Body satisfaction and weight loss in women college students. Journal of Korean Academy of fundamentals of nursing, 13, 485-492.
- Chung, E. S. (2001). A study of the body mass index and body image among female college students. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 7, 622-630.
- Clemens, H., Thombs, D., Olds, R. S., & Gorden, K. L. (2008). Normative beliefs as risk factors for involvement in unhealthy weight control behavior. Journal of American College Health, 56, 635-641. https://doi.org/10.3200/JACH.56.6.635-642
- Cohen, S. B. (2006), Media exposure and the subsequent effect on body dissatisfaction, disordered eating, and drive for thinness: A review of the current research. The Wesleyan Journal of Psychology, 1, 57-71.
- Cromley, T., Sztainer, D. N., Story, M., & Boutelle, K. N. (2010). Parent and family associations with weight-related behaviors and cognitions among overweight adolescents. Journal of Adolescent Health, 47, 263-269. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2010.02.009
- Eun, Y. O., Chung, S. H., & Kim, H. K. (2009). Gender role identity and health behaviors in adults. The Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 15, 100-108. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2009.15.1.100
- Jaworowska A., & Bazylak G. (2009), An outbreak of body weight dissatisfaction associated with self-perceived BMI and dieting among female pharmacy students. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy, 63, 679-692. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopha.2008.08.005
- Jeun, Y. S., Lee, J. R., & Park, C. M. (2006). A study on the development of weight controlling health behavioral model in women. Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion, 23(4), 125-153.
- Jung, D. J. (2006). Influence of weight control behavior, body image, self-esteem, health promotion behavior and mental health promotion behavior in university female students by BMI. Exercise science: Official Journal of the Korea Exercise Science Academy, 15, 365-376.
- Jung, Y. K., & Tae, Y. S. (2004). Factors affecting body weight control behavior of female college students. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 16, 545-555.
- Jung, H. S. (1987). A study lon the relationship between their health beliefs and compliance with weight control behavior in adults. Unpublished master's Thesis, Han-Yang University, Seoul.
- Kim, E. J., & Cha, B. K. (2007). Weight control behaviors in female college students. Journal of Korean Academy of Womens Health Nursing, 13, 320-326.
- Kim, H. J., & Lee, M. H. (2010). A study of appearance management behaviors and body exposure attitudes according to sex role identity. The Journal of the Korean Society of Costumes, 60(3), 99-109.
- Kim, K. H. (2009). Effects of weight control programs on limiting obesity and improving the eating behaviors of adult obese women. Journal of the Korean Society of Dietary Culture, 24, 784-792.
- Kim, O. S., & Yoon, H. S. (2000). Factors associated with weight control behaviors among high school females with normal body weight. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 30, 391-401. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2000.30.2.391
- Kwak, Y. H. (2006). A testing the expanded theory of reasoned action in prediction of weight control behavior among mid-aged obese women. Unpublished doctorial dissertation, Chung-Ang University, Seoul.
- Lee, B. S., Kim, M. A., & Koh, H. J. (2002). Development of Korean gender role identity inventory. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 32, 373-383. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2002.32.3.373
- Lee, J. I. (2001). A study on obese children's self-efficacy and health promotion behavior. Unpublished doctorial dissertation, Kyungsan University, Kyongbuk.
- Lee, K., Kim, E., & Yom, Y. (2005). Body esteem, body figure discrepancy and depression in women college students. The Korean Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing, 12, 206-214.
- Lee, W. O., & Hwang, Y. Y. (2009). A study on high-school girls' obesity, attitudes towards body and weight control. Korea Institute of Youth Facility & Environment, 7(3), 3-11.
- Linde, J. A., Rothman, A. J., Baldwin, A. S., & Jeffery, R.W. (2006), The impact of self-efficacy on behavior change and weight change among overweight participants in a weight loss trial. Health Psychology, 25, 282-291. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-6188.8.131.522
- Spence, J. T., Helmreich, R., & Stapp, J. (1975). Likability, sex-role congruence of interest, and competence: It all depends on how you ask. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 5, 93-109. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1975.tb01299.x
- Tucker, L. A., & Tucker, J. M. (2011). Television viewing and obesity in 300 women: Evaluation of the pathways of energy intake and physical activity. Obesity 19, 1950-1956. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2011.184
- Wardle, J., Haase, A. M., & Steptoe, A. (2006). Body image and weight control in young adults: International comparisons in university students from 22 countries. International Journal of Obesity, 30, 644-651. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0803050
- Yu, J. W. (2010). Direct Measurement of the 6th Korean Human Scale Research Project Report. Retrieved November 20, 2011, from http://sizekorea.kats.go.kr/
- Menstruation and the Variability of Food Intake in Female College Students vol.18, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2013.18.6.577
- Health Promotion Behavior according to Body Mass Index and Self-Perception of Body Weight in Female Nursing Students vol.16, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2014.16.1.60
- Relationships among Dietary Self-Efficacy, Social Support, Depression, and Weight-control Behavior of Children and Adolescents vol.25, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2014.25.4.473
- Associations between Weight Control Behavior and Health Behaviors in Korean Young Women: 2013 Community Health Survey vol.16, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.7.4734
- A Study on Body Image, Self-esteem, and Family Strengths of Female University Students vol.2, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.15205/kschs.2014.2.2.90
- Effects of Body Mass Index, Self-esteem, and Sociocultural Attitude toward Appearance on Diet Awareness vol.18, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2016.18.2.176
- Characteristics of Groups classified by Degree of Obesity using Body Mass Index - Focused on Self-esteem, Food lifestyle, Social-cultural Attitudes towards Appearance, and Diet-related Attitude and Behavior - vol.66, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7233/jksc.2016.66.8.033
- Body Weight Control Behavior and Obesity Stress of College Women vol.15, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.02.292
- Impacting Factors on Weight Control Steps with Respect to Diet Experience and Body Mass Index among University Students vol.23, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7570/kjo.2014.23.4.250
- Comparison of Dietary Self-efficacy, Obesity Stress, and Obesity-related Quality of Life According to BMI and Stages of Change in Vegetable Consumption for Nursing Students vol.21, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.1.65