- Volume 48 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Fish length dependence of target strength for black porgy and fat greenling at two frequencies of 70 and 120kHz
70 및 120kHz에서 쥐노래미와 감성돔에 대한 음향 반사 강도의 체장 의존성
- Lee, Dae-Jae (Division of Marine Production System Management, Pukyong National University)
- 이대재 (부경대학교 해양생산시스템관리학부)
- Received : 2012.03.05
- Accepted : 2012.05.14
- Published : 2012.05.31
Black porgy and fat greenling are commercially important fish species due to the continuously increasing demand in Korea. When estimating acoustically the fish length by a fish sizing echo sounder, it is of crucial importance to know the target strength (TS) to length dependence. In relation to these needs, the target strength experiments for live fishes were conducted in an acrylic salt water tank using two split-beam echo sounders operating at 70 and 120kHz. The target strength under well-controlled laboratory conditions was simultaneously measured with the swimming movement by digital video recording (DVR) system and analyzed as a function of fish length (L) and frequency (or wavelength
Target strength;Fish length dependence;Split beam echo sounder;Black porgy;Fat greenling
- Seikai Regional Fisheries Research Laboratory, 1986. Fishes of the east china sea and the yellow sea, Nihon Shiko Printing, Nagasaki, pp. 240－325.
- Hwangbo, Y., D.J. Lee, Y.W. Lee and K.H. Lee, 2009. The frequency and length dependence of the target strength of the largehead hairtail (trichiurus lepturus) in Korean waters, Fish. Aqua. Sci., 12 (2), 152－161.
- Kang, H.Y. and D.J. Lee, 2003. Fish length dependence of acoustic target strength for large yellow croaker. Bull. Kor. Soc. Fish. Tech., 39 (3), 239－248. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2003.39.3.239
- Kang, D.H., K. Sadayasu, T. Mukai, K. Iida, D.J. Hwang, K. Sawada, K. Miyashita, 2004a. Target strength estimation of black porgy Acanthopagrus schlegeli using acoustic measurements and a scattering model. Fisheries Science 70 (5), 819－828. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1444-2906.2004.00875.x
- Kang, D.H., D.J. Hwang, T. Mukai, K. Iida and K.H. Lee, 2004b. Acoustic target strength of live Japanese common squid (Todarodes pacifica) for applying biomass estimation. J. Kor. Fish. Soc., 37 (4), 345－353.
- Mukai, T., N. Sano, K. Iida and S. Sakai, 1993a. Relation between dorsal aspect target strength of fish caught in the East China Sea and their swimbladder. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi, 60 (2), 215－222.
- Mukai, T., N. Sano, K. Iida and S. Sakai, 1993b. Studies on dorsal aspect target strength of ten species of fish collected in the East China Sea. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi, 59 (9), 1515－1525. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.59.1515
- Mun, J.H., D.J. Lee, H.I. Shin and Y.W. Lee, 2006. Fish length dependence of target strength for black rockfish goldeye rockfish at 70kHz and 120kHz. J. Kor. Soc. Fish. Tech., 42 (1), 30－37. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2006.42.1.030
- Lee, D.J. and H.I. Shin, 2005. Construction of a data bank for acoustic target strength with fish species, length and acoustic frequency for measuring fish size distribution. J. Kor. Fish. Soc., 38 (4), 265－ 275.
- Lee, D.J., 2005. Fish length dependence of acoustic target strength for 12 dominant fish species caught in the Korean waters at 75kHz. J. Kor. Soc. Fish. Tech., 41 (4), 296－305. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2005.41.4.296
- Lee, D.J., 2006. Target strength measurement of black rockfish, goldeye rockfish and black scraper using a 70－kHz split beam echo sounder. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi, 72 (4), 644－650. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.72.644
- Lee, D.J., 2010. Fish length dependence of target strength for striped beakperch, bluefin searobin and konoshiro gizzard shad caught in the artificial reef ground of Yongho Man, Busan. J. Kor. Soc. Fish. Tech., 46 (3), 239－247. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2010.46.3.239
- Overview of the Applications of Hydroacoustic Methods in South Korea and Fish Abundance Estimation Methods vol.17, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5657/FAS.2014.0369
- Target strength characteristics of sailfin sandfish (Arctoscopus japonicus) using ex situ experiment and acoustic model vol.51, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.3.405
- Hydroacoustic survey on distribution and density of fisheries resources in the Marado coastal area of Jeju, Korea vol.52, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2016.52.3.209