- Volume 48 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Estimation of demersal fish biomass using hydroacoustic and catch data in the marine ranching area (MRA) of Jeju
제주바다목장해역에서 수중음향과 어획데이터를 활용한 저층 어류의 현존량 추정
- Lee, Jae-Bong ;
- Oh, Taeg-Yun ;
- Yeon, In-Ja ;
- Kim, Byung-Yeob ;
- Shin, Hyeon-Ok ;
- Hwang, Bo-Kyu ;
- Lee, Kyung-Hoon ;
- Lee, Yoo-Won
- Received : 2012.05.02
- Accepted : 2012.05.25
- Published : 2012.05.31
Hybrid surveys using hydroacoustic and fish sampling gears such as trammel net, trap were conducted to investigate total biomass, distribution and dominant fish species of the demersal fishes in the marine ranching area (MRA) of Jeju. Four surveys were carried out in June, August, October and November using 38kHz quantitative echo sounder. Catch data using trammel net and trap were used to calculate biomass and to examine dominant fish species. Fish schools were mainly detected in the waters of 20 meters below and around Chagwido waters. By the result of fishing experiments, fish species living in MRA of Jeju were about 40 species, dominant fish species of a detectable fish such as Family Sparidae and Family Monacanthidae etc. were identified 59.4~68.8% of total biomass. Based on the hydroacoustic data, fish length-weight function and target strength information, mean density of the demersal fish estimated were as follows; 0.88g/
Hydroacoustic survey;Fish sampling gear;Demersal fish biomass;Marine ranching area;Biomass estimation
- Choi, S.K., J.Y. Kim, S.S. Kim, Y.M. Choi and K.H. Choi, 2001. Biomass estimation of anchovy (Engraulis japonicus) by acoustic and trawl surveys during spring season in the southern Korea waters. J. Kor. Soc. Fish. Res., 4 (1), 20－29.
- Furusawa, M., H. Susuki, Y. Miyanohana, 1988. A multipurpose quantitative echo sounding system. J. Mar. Acoust. Soc. Jp., 16 (2), 82－93.
- Honkalehto, T., P.H. Ressler, R.H. Towler and C.D. Wilson, 2011. Using acoustic data from fishing vessels to estimate walleye pollack (Theragra chalcogramma) abundance in the eastern Bering Sea. Can. J. Fish. Aqua. Sci., 68 (7), 1231－1242. https://doi.org/10.1139/f2011-050
- Hwang, D.J., H.H. Shin and D.S. Kim, 1999. Distribution of fish by echo sounder and environment of oceanography in southern sea of Korea. Bull. Kor. Soc. Fish. Tech., 35 (2), 170－177.
- Hwang, D.J., H.H. Shin and D.H. Kang, 2002. Studies on fish distribution characteristics using a scientific echo sounder in the Yellow Sea. Bull. Kor. Soc. Fish. Tech., 38 (2), 140－148. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2002.38.2.140
- Kang, D.H, Y.J. Im, C.W. Lee, J.T. Yoo and J.G. Myoung, 2008. Hydroacoustic survey of spatiotemporal distribution of demersal fish aggregation near the west coast of Jeju island, Kore. Ocean and Polar Res., 30 (2), 181－191. https://doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2008.30.2.181
- Kang, M.H., G.D. Yoon, Y.M. Choi and J.K. Kim, 1996. Hydroacoustic investigations on the distribution characteristics of the anchovy at the south region of East Sea. Bull. Kor. Soc. Fish. Tech., 32 (1), 16－23.
- Kim, S.A., 1991. Evaluation of fisheries resource by marine survey. Woo-Sung Pub. Ltd., Seoul. pp. 123 －136.
- Lee, D.J., 2002. Distribution characteristics of fish schools in the Yellow Sea and the East China Sea in the spring of 1997. Bull. Kor. Soc. Fish. Tech., 38 (3), 241－248. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2002.38.3.241
- Lee, D.J., J.K. Kim and H.H. Shin, 1998. Investigations of the potential fisheries resources in the southern waters of Korea. -Hydroacoustic investigation of abundance and distribution of fish-. Bull. Kor. Soc. Fish. Tech., 34 (3), 259－273.
- Lee, D.J. and W.W. Lee, 1996. Hydroacoustic investigation of demersal fisheries resources in the southeastern area of the Cheju island, Korea, - acoustical estimation of fish density and distribution-. Bull. Kor. Soc. Fish. Tech., 32 (3), 266 －272.
- MOMAF, 2004. Feasibility studies on the marine ranching program of East, West and Jeju coastal areas in Korea. Ministry of Ministry of Maritime Affairs & Fisheries. pp. 1－3.
- NFRDI, 2011. Marine ranching information system. Retrieved from http://www.fira.or.kr/marinerc/ on September 26.
- Robotham, H. and J. Castillo, 2009. Selecting the number of transects in multispecies acoustic surveys in northern Chile using a surface occupation index. Aquat. Living Resour., 22 (3), 265－272. https://doi.org/10.1051/alr/2009036
- Rottingen, I. and S. Tjelmeland, 2003. Evaluation of the absolute levels of acoustic estimates of the 1983 years class of Norwegian spring-spawning herring. ICES J. Mar. Sci., 60 (3), 480－485. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1054-3139(03)00029-8
- Simmonds, E.J. and D.N. MacLennan, 2005. Fisheries acoustics, 2nd ed. Balckwell Sci. Ltd., Oxford. pp. 437.
- Yoon, G.D., Y.R. Yang, H.I. Shin, J.H. Lee, K.D. Cho and D.J. Lee, 1993. Acoustic-trawl surveys for demersal fisheries resources in the east China Sea. Bull. Kor. Soc. Fish. Tech., 29 (3), 183－190.
- Distribution and Abundance of Japanese Anchovy Engraulis japonicus and Other Fishes in Asan Bay, Korea, estimated Hydroacoustic Survey vol.47, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2014.0671
- Hydroacoustic survey on distribution and density of fisheries resources in the Marado coastal area of Jeju, Korea vol.52, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2016.52.3.209
- Community Structure of Fisheries Resources Caught by Dredge in the Uljin Marine Ranching Area, Korea vol.47, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2014.0935
- The Characteristics and Spatio-temporal Distribution of Fish Schools during Summer in the Marine Ranching Area (MRA) of Yeosu using Acoustic Data vol.47, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2014.0283
- Acoustic observation of the behavior of fish in an artificial reef vol.50, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.2.124
- Overview of the Applications of Hydroacoustic Methods in South Korea and Fish Abundance Estimation Methods vol.17, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5657/FAS.2014.0369
- Estimating the biomass of anchovy species off the coast of Tongyeong and Yeosu in South Korea in the spring and winter of 2013 and 2014 vol.51, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.1.086
- Community Structure and Distribution Pattern of the Pleuronectiform Fishes in the Uljin Marine Ranching Area, Korea vol.46, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2013.0413
- Comparison of the Distribution of Demersal Fish Biomass Determined by Bottom Trawl and Hydroacoustic Surveys in the Northern East China Sea in Winter, 2014 vol.48, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2015.0960
- Spatio-temporal Variability and Size Fractionation of Chlorophyll a in the Jeju Marine Ranching Area(JMRA) with Special Reference to the Signification of Nanoplankton vol.15, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.10.6388
- Frequency responses of anchovy schools in the South Sea of South Korea in spring and winter vol.52, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2016.52.2.111
- Visual census and hydro-acoustic survey of demersal fish aggregations in Ulju small scale marine ranching area (MRA), Korea vol.51, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.1.016
- Seasonal Variations in the Species Composition of Fisheries Resources Caught by Trammel Net in the Uljin Marine Ranching Area, East Sea vol.48, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2015.0947
- Spatial characteristics of fish distribution lured by artificial reefs in Jeju marine ranching area vol.50, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.1.030
- Comparison of Echogram Analysis Methods for Evaluating the Sound-scattering Layer vol.49, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2016.0856
- Spatio-temporal Variability of Phytoplankton Community in the Jeju Marine Ranching Area (JMRA) vol.16, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7761
Supported by : 국립수산과학원