- Volume 21 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Intention to Disclose Personal Information in LBS : Based on Privacy Calculus Perspective
스마트폰 위치기반서비스에서 정보제공의도 : 프라이버시 계산 관점을 중심으로
- Received : 2012.06.28
- Accepted : 2012.12.02
- Published : 2012.12.31
LBS(Location-Based Service) is one of the smartphone application services which has been receiving great attention recently. Various applications of smartphone use LBS to provide innovative services. However, use of LBS raises privacy concerns because the location information of users is constantly exposed. Privacy calculus perspective attempts to understand the characteristics of the user's privacy. It is based on the risk-benefit analysis in the economics' perspective. That is, when the benefit expected through personal information disclosure is higher than risk, we are willing to provide personal information. This research suggested a research model based on the privacy calculus perspective to clarify the effect of information disclosure intention of smartphone LBS application users. Based on the main factors of privacy calculus, perception of privacy risk and privacy benefit, the relationship of the perceived value and the information disclosure intention was empirically analyzed by utilizing structural equation modeling(SEM) methodology. According to the results of the empirical analysis, it was found that all relations have statistically significant explanatory power except the relation between privacy concern and information disclosure intention. This study showed a strong evidence of antecedent factors based on privacy calculus of personal information disclosure in smartphone LBS applications.
- KT경제경영연구소, 이상록, "컨버전스 서비스로 부각되는 위치기반서비스," DigiEco Focus, 보고서, 2009.
- 김광열, 박인환, 임이랑, 홍애란, 김진영, 신요안, "위치 기반 서비스의 최근 동향," 한국통신학회지, 제28권, 제7호, 2011, pp.3-14.
- 김상현, 박현선, "모바일 애플리케이션의 품질이 사용자 만족과 애플리케이션 지불의 도에 미치는 영향," 정보시스템연구, 제 20권, 제3호, 2011, pp.81-109.
- 김상현, 박현선, "위치기반서비스 사용에 영향을 미치는 프라이버시 염려감소 선행요인, 신뢰 그리고 개인혁신성의 조절효과," 정보시스템연구, 제21권, 제2호, 2012, pp.73-96. https://doi.org/10.5859/KAIS.2012.21.2.73
- 김태성, 전효성, 남광우, "위치기반서비스의 비즈니스 모델," 한국통신학회논문지, 제31권, 제9호, 2006, pp.848-856.
- 남지연, 나종연, "소비자의 위치정보 프라이버시 침해에 대한 우려와 위치기반서비스사용에 관한 연구," 소비자정책교육연구, 제5권, 제2호, 2009, pp.81-102.
- 방송통신위원회, 유무선통계, 2012.
- 한국정보화진흥원, "스마트 라이프 혁명의 실제와 그 쟁점들," 보고서, 2012,
- 삼성경제연구소, "스마트폰과 위치기반서비스를 활용한 서비스산업 혁신전략," SERI경영 노트, 제62호, 2010, pp.1-12.
- 최혁라, 신정신, "온라인 거래에서 프라이버시 염려의 선행요인과 프라이버시 염려, 신뢰간의 관계에 관한 연구," 정보시스템 연구, 제16권, 제3호, 2007, pp.21-44.
- 한국인터넷진흥원, 2011년 스마트폰이용실태 조사, 보고서, 2012.
- 한국정보보호진흥원, 유비쿼터스 프라이버시 보호 종합대책 수립, 보고서, 2006.
- Altman, I., The Environment and Social Behavior: Privacy, Personal Space, Territory, and Crowding, Brooks/Cole Publishing, Montrey CA, 1975.
- Anderson, J., and Gerbing, D., "Structural Equation Modeling in Practice: A Review and Recommended Two-Step Approach," Psychological Bulletin, Vol.103, No.4, 1988, pp.411-423. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.103.3.411
- ATLAS Research Group, Contents & Applications for the Wireless Internet: Worldwide Market Analysis & Strategic Outlook 2000-2005, 2000.
- Barclay, D., Thompson, R., and Higgins, C., "The Partial Least Squares (PLS) Approach to Causal Modeling, Personal Computer Adoption and Use as an Illustration," Technology Studies, Vol.2, No.2, 1995, pp.285-324.
- Campbell, J. E., and Carlson, M., "Panopticon.com: Online Surveillance and the Commodification of Privacy," Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, Vol.46, No.4, 2002, pp.586-606. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15506878jobem4604_6
- Chin, W. W., "The Partial Least Squares Approach to Structural Equation Modeling," in Modern Methods for Business Research, Marcoulides, G. A. (eds.), Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahway, New Jersey, 1998, pp.295-336.
- Cohen, J. O., Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences, (2nd ed.), Lawrence Erlbaum: Hillsdale, New Jersey, 1988.
- Culnan, M. J., and Armstrong, P. K., "Information Privacy Concerns, Procedural Fairness, and Impersonal Trust: An Empirical Investigation," Organization Science, Vol.10, No.1, 1999, pp.104-115. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.10.1.104
- Culnan, M. J., and Bies, J. R., "Consumer Privacy: Balancing Economic and Justice Considerations," Journal of Social Issues, Vol.59, No.2, 2003, pp.323-342. https://doi.org/10.1111/1540-4560.00067
- Davies, S. G., "Re-Engineering the Right to Privacy: How Privacy Has Been Transformed from a Right to a Commodity," in Technology and Privacy: The New Landscape, Agre, P. E. and Rotenberg, M. (eds.), MIT Press: Cambridge, MA, 1997, pp.143-165.
- Dinev, T., and Hart, P., "An Extended Privacy Calculus Model for E-Commerce Transactions," Information Systems Research, Vol.17, No.1, 2006, pp.61-80. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1060.0080
- Doz, Y. L., Olk, P. M., and Ring, P. S., "Formation Processes of R&D Consortia: Which Path to Take? Where Does It Lead?," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.21, No.3, 2000, pp.239-266. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(200003)21:3<239::AID-SMJ97>3.0.CO;2-K
- Durlacher Research Ltd., Mobile Commerce Report, 2000.
- Efron, B., and Tibshirani, R., "Improvements on Crossvalidation: The 0.632+ Bootstrap Method," Journal of the American Statistical Association, Vol.92, No.438, 1997, pp.548-560.
- Featherman, M. S., and Pavlou, P. A., "Predicting E-Services Adoption: A Perceived Risk Facets Perspective," International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, Vol.59, No.4, 2003, pp.451-474. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1071-5819(03)00111-3
- Gray, P. H., and Meister, D. B., "Knowledge Sourcing Effectiveness," Management Science, Vol.50, No.6, 2004, p.821. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1030.0192
- Junglas, I. A., and Watson, R. T., "The U-Constructs Four Information Drives," Communications of the AIS, Vol.17, 2006, pp.569-592.
- Kim, H. W., Chan, H. C., and Gupta, S., "Value-Based Adoption of Mobile Internet: An Empirical Investigation," Decision Support Systems, Vol.43, No.1, 2007, pp.111-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2005.05.009
- Krasnova, H., and Veltri, N. F., "Privacy Calculus on Social Networking Sites: Explorative Evidence from Germany and USA," Proceedings of the 43rd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, 2010, pp.1-10.
- Li, H., Sarathy, R., and Xu, H., "Understanding Situational Online Information Disclosure as a Privacy Calculus," Journal of Computer Information Systems, 2010, pp.1-29.
- Li, H., Sarathy, R., and Xu, H., "The Role of Affect and Cognition on Online Consumers' Decision to Disclose Personal Information to Unfamiliar Online Vendors," Decision Support Systems, Vol.51, No.3, 2011, pp.434-445. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2011.01.017
- Malhotra, N. K., Kim, S. S., and Agarwal, J., "Internet Users' Information Privacy Concerns(IUIPC): The Construct, the Scale, and a Causal Model," Information Systems Research, Vol.15, No.4, 2004, pp.336-355. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1040.0032
- Margulis, S. T., "Conceptions of Privacy - Current Status and Next Steps," Journal of Social Issues, Vol.33, No.3, 1977a, pp.5-21. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4560.1977.tb01879.x
- Margulis, S. T., "Privacy as a Behavioral Phenomenon-Introduction," Journal of Social Issues, Vol.33, No.3, 1977b, pp.1-4. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4560.1977.tb01878.x
- Milberg, S. J., Burke, S. J., Smith, H. J., and Kallman, E. A., "Values, Personal Information Privacy, and Regulatory Approaches," Communications of the ACM, Vol.38, No.12, 1995, pp.65-74. https://doi.org/10.1145/219663.219683
- Miller, J. S., Wiseman, R. M., and Gomez-Mejia, L. R., "The Fit between CEO Compensation Design and Firm Risk," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.45, No.4, 2002, pp.745-756. https://doi.org/10.2307/3069308
- Nunnally, J. C., and Bernstein, I. H., Psychometric Theory, (3rd ed.), McGraw-Hill, New York, 1994.
- Oskamp, S., Attitudes and opinions, (2nd ed.), Prentice-Hall, NJ, 1991.
- Petter, S., Straub, D., and Rai, A., "Specifying Formative Constructs in Information Systems Research," MIS Quarterly, Vol.31, No.4, 2007, pp.623-656. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148814
- Schoeman, F. D., Philosophical Dimensions of Privacy: An Anthology, Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK, 1984.
- Segars, A., and Grover, V., "Re-Examining Perceived Ease of Use and Usefulness: A Confirmatory Factor Analysis," MIS Quarterly, Vol.17, No.4, 1993, pp.517-525. https://doi.org/10.2307/249590
- Smith, H. J., Dinev, T., and Xu, H., "Information Privacy Research: An Interdisciplinary Review," MIS Quarterly, Vol.35, No.4, 2011, pp.989-1015. https://doi.org/10.2307/41409970
- Smith, H. J., Milberg, S. J., and Burke, S. J., "Information Privacy Measuring Individuals' Concerns about Organizational Practices," MIS Quarterly, Vol.20, No.2, 1996, pp.167-196. https://doi.org/10.2307/249477
- Stevens, J., Applied Multivariate Statistics for the Social Sciences, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates: Hillsdale, NJ, 1992.
- Stone, E. F., and Stone, D. L., "Privacy in Organizations: Theoretical Issues, Research Findings, and Protection Mechanisms," Research in Personnel and Human Resources Management, Vol.8, No.3, 1990, pp.349-411.
- Tenenhaus, M., Vinzi, V. E., Chatelin, Y. M., and Lauro, C., "PLS Path Modeling," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Vol.48, No.1, 2005, pp.159-205. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csda.2004.03.005
- TNS, Mobile Life 2012, 2012, Available: http://www.tnsglobal.com.
- van Eerde, W., and Thierry, H., "Vroom's Expectancy Models and Work-Related Criteria: A Meta-Analysis," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.81, No.5, 1996, pp.575-586. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.81.5.575
- Vroom, V. H., Work and Motivation, Wiley, New York, 1964.
- Warren, S. D., and Brandeis, D. L., "The Right to Privacy," Harvard Law Review, Vol.4, No.5, 1890, pp.193-220. https://doi.org/10.2307/1321160
- Weinstein, W. L., "The Private and the Free: A Conceptual Inquiry," in Privacy: Nomos XIII, Pennock, J. R. and Chapman, J. W. (eds.), Atherton Press: New York, 1971, pp.624-692.
- Westin, A. F., Privacy and Freedom, Atheneum, New York, 1967.
- Wilson, B., and Henseler, J., "Modeling Reflective Higher-Order Constructs using Three Approaches with PLS Path Modeling: A Monte Carlo Comparison," Paper Presented at the Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference, 2007.
- Xu, H., Luo, X., Carroll, J. M., and Rosson, M. B., "The Personalization Privacy Paradox: An Exploratory Study of Decision Making Process for Location-Aware Marketing," Decision Support Systems, Vol.51, No.1, 2011, pp.42-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2010.11.017
- Xu, H., Oh, L. B., and Teo, H. H, "Perceived Effectiveness of Text versus Multimedia Location-Based Advertising Messaging," International Journal of Mobile Communications, Vol.7, No.2, 2009, pp.154-177. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJMC.2009.022440
- Xu, H., Teo, H., Tan, B. C. Y., and Agarwal, R., "The Role of Push-Pull Technology in Privacy Calculus: The Case of Location-Based Service," Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol.26, No.3, 2010, pp.135-173.
- Yao, M. Z., Rice, R. E., and Wallis, K., "Predicting User Concerns about Online Privacy," Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, Vol.58, No.5, 2007, pp.710-722. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.20530
- Zeithaml, V. A., "Consumer Perceptions of Price, Quality, and Value: A Means-End Model and Synthesis of Evidence," Journal of Marketing, Vol.52, 1988, pp.2-22. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251446
- The Study of Moderated Mediating Model on SEM: Focusing on Expectancy Disconfirmation, Satisfaction and Continuous Usage Intention of LBS Application vol.14, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.6.119
- Effect of Purchase Intention of Location-Based Services: Focused on Privacy-Trust-Behavioral Intention Model vol.19, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.9708/jksci.2014.19.10.175