- Volume 29 Issue 1
The Moderating Effects of the Perceived Economical Difficulty on the Adolescents' Attitude to Prostitution: Focused on Gender Equality Consciousness and Sexual Subjectivity
청소년이 지각하는 경제적 어려움이 성매매태도에 미치는 영향 - 성평등의식과 성주체성의 조절효과를 중심으로
- Shin, Jung-Yi (Department of Social Work, College of Medicine, Soonchunhyang University) ;
- Hwang, Hye-Won (Department of Social Welfare, Cheongju University) ;
- Park, Hyun-Soon (Cheongju Multicultural Family Support Center)
- Received : 2011.11.15
- Accepted : 2012.03.20
- Published : 2012.03.31
Objectives: The purpose of this study is to find the influences of the perceived economical difficulty, gender equality consciousness and sexual subjectivity on the adolescents' attitude to prostitution to examine the moderating effects of gender equality consciousness and sexual subjectivity between the perceived economical difficulty and the adolescents' attitude to prostitution, and to provide some recommendations for intervention to improve more appropriate attitude of adolescents on prostitution. Methods: The data used for this study is from the survey with a sample of 1,151 students from 14 middle and high schools in Chungbuk province. Results: The main results of this study are as follows: First, there are statistical differences in the adolescents' attitude to prostitution according to gender, grade, and the type of school. Second, there is a positive effect of the perceived economical difficulty, gender equality consciousness and sexual subjectivity on the adolescents' attitude to prostitution. Third, there are positive moderating effects of sexual subjectivity between the perceived economical difficulty and the adolescents' attitude to prostitution. Conclusions: Intervening in the sex education at an early stage, advertising prostitution's harmful effect at the level of a social concern and developing diverse programs to enhance the sexual subjectivity of students are recommended to promote appropriate attitude of adolescents about prostitution.
- Brown, K. (2006). Participation and young people involved in prostitution. Child Abuse Review, 15(5), 294-312. https://doi.org/10.1002/car.955
- Caminis, A., Henrich C., Ruchkin V., Schwab-Stone M., & Martin A. (2007). Psychosocial predictors of sexual initiation and high-risk sexual behaviors in early adolescence. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Mental Health, 22, 1-14.
- Choi, M. J., & Kong, M. H. (2007). The development of sex education program for improving sexual subjectivity of adolescents - focused on girls' high school students. Journal of Women's Studies, 18, 129-185.
- Do, G. B. (2007). A study of factors influencing school violence behavior (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). University of Daegu, Korea.
- Ethier K., Kershaw, T. S., Lewis, J. B., Milan, S., Niccolai, L., & Ickovics, J. R. (2004). Self-esteem, emotional distress and sexual behavior among adolescent female: inter-relationships and temporal effects. Journal of Adolescent Health, 38, 268-274.
- GimHae Hotline. (2009). A survey of the sexual consciousness and prostitution on the adolescence.
- Hwang, S. L., & Olwen, B. (2004). Juveniles' motivations for remaining in prostitution. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 28(2), 136-146. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-6402.2004.00130.x
- Jo, S. E., & Shin, H. C. (2010). A study of campaign for preventing prostitution: the predictors on youth behavioral intention of prostitution. Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, 54(1), 228-251.
- Jeong, H. S., & Yoo, G. S. (2001). Family Relationships. Shinjeong.
- Jeong, H. S. (2007). Study on developing sex-education program according to the developmental stage of the youth, Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 14(2), 299-326.
- Jeong, K. S., Jo, J. J., & Yu, S. H. (2003). Testing a multisystemic model of youth prostitution. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 10(3), 239-259.
- Jung, J. K., & Yang, K. M (2003). Factors constructing attitudes and intentions toward prostitution. The Korean Journal of Woman Psychology, 8(3), 53-75.
- Kim, S. W. (2003). Theory and practice of sexual education, sexual counselling. Seoul, Korea: Education Inc.
- Kim. S. Y., Jo. H. R., & Rho, C. R. (2004). Youth welfare. Seoul, Korea: Jipmoondang.
- Kim, Y. H. (2000). A study of the effects on the Korean adolescents' sexual role identity and attitude by the audio-visual program for sexual education. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 30(6), 1556-1568. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2000.30.6.1556
- Kim, H .O. (2002). A comparative analysis on gender egalitarianism and gender role identity of high school students (Unpublished master's thesis). University of Konkuk, Korea
- Kim, H. W. (2003). The relationships among sexual knowledge, attitudes, behaviors of male and female high school students. The Journal of Counseling Psychology and Psychotherapy, 15(2), 309-328.
- Lee, C. S. & Kim, Y. J. (2005). Research articles: a study on love and sexual attitudes of adolescents - focused on perceptive differences of boys and girls. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 10(1), 277-296.
- Lee, H. Y. (2007). Comparative analysis of sexual knowledge, sexual attitude, sexual behavior, and sex education of Korean, Chinese and Japanese students in adolescence (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). University of Kangwon, Korea.
- Lee, J. M., & Kim, H. W. (2001). Characteristics, problems, and future directions of school sex - education for teenagers on regarding with the teenagers' sexual behaviors and past school sex - education for teenagers. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 8(1), 117-142.
- Ministry of Health, Welfare and Family Affairs. (2009) The study on Korean children adolescents. University of Seoul, Korea.
- Park, Y. S., & Kang, M. K. (2003). A study on the development and verification of effectiveness of online sex education program using interactive virtual reality techniques for adolescents. The Korea Journal of Youth Counseling, 11(1), 42-55.
- Paul, C., Fitzjohn. J., Herbison, P., & Dickson, N. (2000). The determinants of sexual intercourse before age 16. Journal of Adolescent Health, 27, 136-147. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1054-139X(99)00095-6
- Pyo, G. S. (2010). Child and youth welfare. Seoul, Korea: Nanam.
- Renata, F., & David, W. H. (2002). The transition of adolescent males to first sexual intercourse: anticipated or delayed? Perspectives on Sexual & Reproductive Health, 34(4), 184-190. https://doi.org/10.2307/3097728
- Rosenthal, S. L., Lisa, M. L., & Sheila, S. C. (1996). Issues related to the sexual decision-making of inner-city adolescent girls. Adolescence, 31(123), 731-739.
- Sung, M. J. (2003). The relationship between gender role identity and depression in adolescents (Unpublished master's thesis), University of Chungang, Korea.
- Yoo, M. M. (2005). A study on the causes and solutions of juvenile prostitution in Korea. The Journal of Korea Public Management, 19(2), 163-194.