- Volume 6 Issue 1
Dietary intakes and plasma concentrations of retinol and carotenoids were estimated in assessing the vitamin A status of Korean adults living in Seoul and the metropolitan area. Three consecutive 24-h food recalls were collected from 106 healthy subjects (33 males and 73 females) aged 20-59 years. Fasting blood samples of the subjects were obtained and plasma retinol and carotenoids were analyzed. The daily vitamin A intakes (
Vitamin A status;retinol;provitamin A carotenoids;carotenoids
- Pilch SM. Assessment of the vitamin A nutritional status of the U.S. population based on data collected in the Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys. Bethesda, MD: Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology; 1985.
- Ascherio A, Stampfer MJ, Colditz GA, Rimm EB, Litin L, Willett WC. Correlations of vitamin A and E intakes with the plasma concentrations of carotenoids and tocopherols among American men and women. J Nutr 1992;122:1792-801. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/122.9.1792
- Persson C, Sasazuki S, Inoue M, Kurahashi N, Iwasaki M, Miura T, Ye W, Tsugane S; JPHC Study Group. Plasma levels of carotenoids, retinol and tocopherol and the risk of gastric cancer in Japan: a nested case-control study. Carcinogenesis 2008;29: 1042-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgn072
- Jansen MC, Van Kappel AL, Ocke MC, Van't Veer P, Boshuizen HC, Riboli E, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB. Plasma carotenoid levels in Dutch men and women, and the relation with vegetable and fruit consumption. Eur J Clin Nutr 2004;58:1386-95. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejcn.1601981
- The World's Healthiest Foods [Internet]. Beta-carotene; [cited 2011 September 27]. Available from: http://www.whfoods.com/ genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=125.
- Ballew C, Bowman BA, Sowell AL, Gillespie C. Serum retinol distributions in residents of the United States: third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988-1994. Am J Clin Nutr 2001;73:586-93. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/73.3.586
- Kim YN, Giraud DW, Driskell JA. Tocopherol and carotenoid contents of selected Korean cooked combination foods consumed by young Korean children. Nutr Sci 2006;9:323-9.
- Kim YN, Giraud DW, Driskell JA. Tocopherol and carotenoid contents of selected Korean fruits and vegetables. J Food Compost Anal 2007;20:458-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2007.02.001
- USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 21. USA; [accessed 2009 June-December]. Available from: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/.
- Rosner B. Fundamentals of Biostatistics. 5th ed. Pacific Grove, CA: Duxbury; 2000.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The fourth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANESIV-2); 2008.
- Ntanios FY, Homma Y, Ushiro S. A spread enriched with plant sterol-esters lowers blood cholesterol and lipoproteins without affecting vitamins A and E in normal and hypercholesterolemic Japanese men and women. J Nutr 2002;132:3650-5. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/132.12.3650
- Ervin RB, Wright JD, Wang CY, Kennedy-Stephenson J; Division of Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys. Dietary intake of selected vitamins for the United States population: 1999-2000. Adv Data 2004;(339):1-4.
- Henderson L, Irving K, Gregory J, Bates CJ, Prentice A, Perks J, Swan G, Farron M. The National Diet & Nutrition Survey: adults aged 19 to 64 years. 2003;3:11-68.
- Resnicow K, Odom E, Wang T, Dudley WN, Mitchell D, Vaughan R, Jackson A, Baranowski T. Validation of three food frequency questionnaires and 24-hour recalls with serum carotenoid levels in a sample of African-American adults. Am J Epidemiol 2000;152:1072-80. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/152.11.1072
- Sangeetha RK, Baskaran V. Carotenoid composition and retinol equivalent in plants of nutritional and medicinal importance: efficacy of beta-carotene from Chenopodium album in retinoldeficient rats. Food Chem 2010;119:1584-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.09.047
- NHANES 2001-2002: Usual Nutrient Intakes From Food Compared To Dietary Reference Intakes. What We Eat in America. United States Department of Agriculture; 2005.
- de Pee S, Dary O. Biochemical indicators of vitamin A deficiency: serum retinol and serum retinol binding protein. J Nutr 2002;132: 2895S-2901S. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/132.9.2895S
- Rice AL, West KP Jr, Black RE. Vitamin A deficiency. In: Ezzati M, Lopez AD, Rodgers A, Murray C, editors. Comparative Quantification of Health Risks: Global and Regional Burden of Disease Attributable to Selected Major Risk Factors. Geneva: WHO; 2004. p.211-56.
- Olson JA. Vitamin A, retinoids and carotenoids. In: Shils ME, Olson JA, Shihe M, editors. Modern Nutrition in Health and Disease, 8th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 1994. p.287-307.
- Sommer A, Davidson FR; Annecy Accords. Assessment and control of vitamin A deficiency: the Annecy Accords. J Nutr 2002;132:2845S-2850S. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/132.9.2845S
- Cote J, Arnoux E, Sorci G, Gaillard M, Faivre B. Age-dependent allocation of carotenoids to coloration versus antioxidant defences. J Exp Biol 2010;213:271-7. https://doi.org/10.1242/jeb.035188
- Rao AV, Rao LG. Carotenoids and human health. Pharmacol Res 2007;55:207-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phrs.2007.01.012
- Bazzano LA, He J, Ogden LG, Loria CM, Vupputuri S, Myers L, Whelton PK. Fruit and vegetable intake and risk of cardiovascular disease in US adults: the first National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Epidemiologic Follow-up Study. Am J Clin Nutr 2002;76:93-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/76.1.93
- Block G, Norkus E, Hudes M, Mandel S, Helzlsouer K. Which plasma antioxidants are most related to fruit and vegetable consumption? Am J Epidemiol 2001;154:1113-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/154.12.1113
- Stacewicz-Sapuntzakis M, Diwadkar-Navsariwala V. Carotenoids. In: Wolinsky I, Driskell JA, editors. Nutritional Ergogenic Aids. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press; 2004. p.325-54.
- The Korean Nutrition Society. Dietary Reference Intakes for Koreans. Seoul: Kookjin Publishing Co; 2010.
- Noh HH, Kim YN, Cho YO. Intakes and major food sources of vitamins A and E of Korean adults living in Seoul and Gyeonggi province. Korean J Nutr 2010;43:628-37. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2010.43.6.628
- Kim YN, Giraud DW, Cho YO, Driskell JA. Vitamin A inadequacy observed in a group of 2-to 6-year-old children living in Kwangju, Republic of Korea. Int J Vitam Nutr Res 2007;77:311-9. https://doi.org/10.1024/0300-98188.8.131.521
- Kim Y, Mok JH, Han KH, Kim KN, Hyun TS. Nutritional status and dietary intake of vitamin A in primary school children: 5th and 6th grade students in Chungbuk. Korean J Nutr 2001;34: 671-7.
- Brady WE, Mares-Perlman JA, Bowen P, Stacewicz-Sapuntzakis M. Human serum carotenoid concentrations are related to physiologic and lifestyle factors. J Nutr 1996;126:129-37. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/126.1.129
- Michaud DS, Giovannucci EL, Ascherio A, Rimm EB, Forman MR, Sampson L, Willett WC. Associations of plasma carotenoid concentrations and dietary intake of specific carotenoids in samples of two prospective cohort studies using a new carotenoid database. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 1998;7:283-90.
- Ritenbaugh C, Peng YM, Aickin M, Graver E, Branch M, Alberts DS. New carotenoid values for foods improve relationship of food frequency questionnaire intake estimates to plasma values. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 1996;5:907-12.
- Scott KJ, Thurnham DI, Hart DJ, Bingham SA, Day K. The correlation between the intake of lutein, lycopene and betacarotene from vegetables and fruits, and blood plasma concentrations in a group of women aged 50-65 years in the UK. Br J Nutr 1996;75:409-18. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19960143
- WHO Western Pacific Region. The Asia-Pacific Perspective: Redefining Obesity and Its Treatment. Manila: WHO Western Pacific Region; 2000.
- The Korean Nutrition Society. Computer Aided Nutritional Analysis Program for Professionals. Seoul: The Korean Nutrition Society; 2002.
- Research Institute of Food and Nutritional Sciences; Yonsei University. Phytonutrient Contents in Vegetable/Fruits/Legumes. Seoul: Shinkwang; 2009.
- Institute of Medicine (U.S.). Panel on Micronutrients. Dietary Reference Intakes for Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Arsenic, Boron, Chromium, Copper, Iodine, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum, Nickel, Silicon, Vanadium, and Zinc. Washington DC: The National Academies Press; 2001.
- Vilchez C, Forjan E, Cuaresma M, Bedmar F, Garbayo I, Vega JM. Marine carotenoids: biological functions and commercial applications. Mar Drugs 2011;9:319-33. https://doi.org/10.3390/md9030319
- Gropper SS, Smith JL, Groff JL. Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism, 5th ed. Belmont, CA: Thomson Wadsworth; 2008. p.373-90.
- Association between lutein intake and lutein concentrations in human milk samples from lactating mothers in South Korea pp.1436-6215, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00394-017-1414-2
- Dietary vitamin a intake among Chinese adults: findings from CNTCS2015 vol.17, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12937-018-0369-3
Supported by : National Research Foundation